The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need replacement parts 1980 PP Emmons
randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 10:15 am    

I broke the little wire that connects the pull-rod to the string bender thing, (can't remember what it's called).

It was on the high B (naturally) so I stole the one off the low B for this week's gig but I probably should replace them all since they're probably going to take turns going bad on me.

Where can I get them along with other parts for this wonderful guitar.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 10:29 am    

You can make one out of a gasline/phoneline marker flag wire like you might find in your yard. You can buy them at the hardware store. I got this valuable info from the Bobbe Seymour push/pull maintenance video. If you plan on keeping your p/p, you should really consider this video. It has helped me immensely.

Thank you,
Wayne Baker

randy

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 10:52 am    

Wayne, thank you so much. I've actually got a buch of those flags. I'll order the video too. Man I love this forum.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2004 11:27 am    

I used bailling wire on my S12 p/p once.
We were playing a gig next to a horse ranch and the little hook broke (about an hour or so before the show started). The fiddle player and I walked out into the pasture where the horses were and found a 2-foot piece of bailling wire. I cut off about a 3" piece and bent it into the right shape. It held until I got the appropriate replacement part from Bobbe Seymour.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

randy

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 4:24 am    

Glenn, I actually considered that until I remembered about the only time i pick the 10 is when I'm using the BE 10, 5, 3 grab.

Pitiful ain't it. It's amazing what you can get by with and still fool folks into thinking you're a musician.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 6:02 am    

I couldn't live without the 6, 8 & 10 string grip. Use it all the time.
Erv

randy

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 10:35 am    

Erv. I guess I'll only be using them as open for a while. My flag stakes turned out to be plastic.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 11:02 am    

Randy,

Don't limit what you can play simply because of the broken hook wire. If bailling wire isn't available any stiff wire of a small enough diameter to fit through the hole in the changer finger and pull rod will work. The tension exerted on the hook is not sever enough to cause the hook to unraval. If it did, just twist the wire around itself instead of leaving it as an open hook. The most critical aspect of a homemade hook wire is the length from the apex of one hook to the apex of the other. Too short the the pull will be sharp. Too long and the pull will be flat.

Bobbe Seymour sells hooks made from tempered wire, but plain old stiff wire should hold for a few days or even weeks.

Best of luck and...

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

randy

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 11:24 am    

Glen, I figure for this weekend, I'd be ok without that 10 wire. Most of the stuff we're doing can be accomplished pretty well without having to stretch the 10.

I'm not going to try to mess with it tonight. By the time I get home from my day job I'll be packing and running.

I'll find some wire tomorrow and have it ready before tomorrow night.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 5:54 pm    

I have even used a paper clip, or a Christmas ornament wire.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 10:43 pm    

I used wire from a spring. It had good strength with very small diameter. Just unwound the spring and straightened the wire out before forming the hooks.
R B.

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 1:54 am    

but you might want to check your stops on the cross shaft, your fifth may be at the end of it's travel at the changer with more travel left to go at the stop on the cross shaft putting strain on the hook, as posted above there are different wires that you can make a hook out of, like Erv said you probably need the tenth as much as the fifth

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2004 10:15 am    

I've also used a paperclip as a temporary hook. It's a good idea to keep a few in your seat, just in case. You can buy spring wire from smallparts.com and bend your own to shape.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
1983 Rosewood Emmons D10 Push-Pull, with 8 pedals and 9 knee levers, Lawrence L-910 pickups and aluminum necks. Nashville 400 amp with Peavey Mod. Emmons pedalbar mounted, and Goodrich LDR floor volume pedals.
I use and endorse Jagwire Strings and accessories.

Keep Steelin' but don't get caught!