The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone had a problem with Jagwire or George L Stainless
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 12:19 pm    

Had a steel player call me & tell me that he put a set of stainless steel Jagwire or George L strings on his shobud, he say they were to 'scratchy' & messed up his plastic thumb pick?

Anyone had this kind of trouble with stainless strings?? I have not myself, & I have used both Jagwire & George L's for a long time. I love the long life of the strings as opposed to the 'nickel' strings, maybe I'm the one thats nuts!! I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one, but I probably will continue using stainless myself. I have been at this for over 40 years now & realize we steel players are kind of 'opinionated'? what do you think!!

Ernie Pollock
301-264-4172 Rolling Eyes

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 2:11 pm    

I Switch between nickel and stainless once in a while. I don't have those problems, and I have used Jagwire and George L strings, and currently use Live Steel strings.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 2:19 pm     Re: Has anyone had a problem with Jagwire or George L Stainl

Ernie Pollock wrote:
Had a steel player call me & tell me that he put a set of stainless steel Jagwire or George L strings on his shobud, he say they were to 'scratchy' & messed up his plastic thumb pick?
Ernie Pollock
301-264-4172 Rolling Eyes

I never heard of such a thing. Are you sure he didn't put band saw blades on thinking they were strings, LOL? Just kidding about that part. I have seen rusty strings and have used them because at the time, didn't have anything else, but ruining a pick is sorta far out there. JMO

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 2:59 pm    

I've used George L's for almost 30 years. Never had anything like that.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 7:02 pm    

Does he use a Herco thumb pick? Tell him to switch to National, Dunlop or John Pearse.

Stainless strings are brighter sounding, some might say harsher, sounding. I hear more string noise with stainless on my guitar. That's why I play nickel or GHS Progressives.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 7:58 pm    

Even my John Pearce and Golden Gate thumbpicks get worn down. None of them have much of the point left.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 9:41 pm    

The Herco NEVER gets scratchy as it wears.
It makes sense that stainless would be harder on picks, it's harder. But I've never had a pick problem.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 2:17 am    

Maybe he was using flat-wound or semi flat-wound strings before. In that case, 'normal' wound strings may seem to be a bit scratchy at first. I did use Frenchy's silent-wound strings before, and there certainly is a difference.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 11:35 am     Too tell the truth?

I kind of feel, after reading you fella's replys, that it is probably a bad case of needing to work on his playing style a bit. This fellow puts the guitar away for years, drags it out & suddenly after have strings on the guitar for 17 years, decided to put new ones on. I think had he continued to play steel thru the years, this would not be happening for him, but it is very real for him. I have no answer for his problem except to try some of you folks ideas.

Ernie Shocked

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2015 9:55 am    

I've only tried a couple of brands, but I think that the nickel-wound strings are definitely smoother than the stainless. There are tradeoffs with anything, so if you want that long life and twang that stainless offers, you'll have to accept that it's just not as smooth. But unless the scratches are affecting your sound, I wouldn't worry about it. Thumbpicks are an expendable item, they do wear out and break...so find some you like, buy a dozen or two, and go on playing. Cool

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2015 10:11 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
It makes sense that stainless would be harder on picks, it's harder.

I think you'll find that music wire is actually "harder", if you compare the Rockwell ("C" scale) hardness numbers of each.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2015 6:23 pm    

Ive pretty much used Jagwire strings since they first came on the market and never had any issues of any sort with them ...I use Nickel wound and they are always consistently good strings with little or no breakage.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2015 3:14 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:
It makes sense that stainless would be harder on picks, it's harder.

I think you'll find that music wire is actually "harder", if you compare the Rockwell ("C" scale) hardness numbers of each.

After giving it some thought, I also think the wound strings wouldn't cut much into a thumbpick since we move with the winds rather than across them.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2015 12:07 pm    

Maybe the guy who is trashing his thumb pick is scraping the edge of it instead of picking straight on. My thumb picks used to wear down before I corrected/perfected my technique. I sound better now, too. Mr. Green

Georg SΓΈrtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2015 12:59 pm    

Picking technique definitely plays a role, as do the shape of picks.

My Blue Herco has lasted for decades, but I shaped it for my picking style when I started using it.

Bought some "replacement picks" of various types and shapes a few years ago - pretty standard (and soft) picks, and only got a few hours out of each of them before throwing them in the trash because they became scratched up and caused scraping sounds. Stainless or Nickel wound strings on my PSGs made no difference, I could not make those picks last.

For my picking style - lots of tip-snapping and edge-hammering, steel (iron) thumb and finger picks hold up best ... they are just very time-consuming to shape and polish... Smile

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2015 1:08 am    

I've been using George L's stainless for 32 years now and will never switch.
PRR