The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about an Emmons push-pull changer
J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 9:12 pm    

The raise fingers on the push-pull changer, do they need to be fairly even( about middle way) all the way across ? The raise finger for my 3rd string(G sharp) is all the way back toward the end plate. It's so far back, there's no adjustment left to lower the pitch . This pedal(G# to A) which is my # 2 floor pedal is kind of stiff compared to the rest. Love this guitar better than any I've owned before.
Any help to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance. J.C. Norris

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 10:03 pm    

J C, the 3rd string needs a lot of travel so it will be further back but should not be all the way back without any room to drop any more. I bet it is not pulling all the way up to the stop which is the front edge of the wood cabinet changer cutout. It is suppose to pull up against the body when raised to "A". I have seen push pulls that also lower the 3rd string to "G" with no problem. If it is working I would not suggest you change anything unless you are sure of what you are doing.
Jerry

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 10:19 pm    

The position of the raise fingers actually should vary quite a bit on typical E9 setup. The resting position of the raise finger is determined by the difference between the highest raise and the open note. The highest raise is tuned when the finger is pushed all the way to the end of its travel, if that's a whole step raise on a small gauge string like say the C pedal raise on string four, the resting position will be further back toward the end plate (the open tuning screw backed further out). For a half step raise on a thicker string the open tuning screw will be cranked further in (less distance between raise and open note). If there are no raises on a string, then it really doesn't matter where the raise finger rests.

If your string three raise finger is all the way back toward the end plate, then you've either got to much slack/spring slop on that pull, or the raise is not being pushed against the stop. Tune the open G#, then reach under the guitar with your finger and push the raise finger as far as it will go -- does it go (way) past A? My guess is it does. If so, you would need to tune that note to A, then re-tune the G# at the endplate and move the stop collar on that pull rod so the end of the raise coincides with the stop on the pedal travel.

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 11:32 pm    

Deleted

Last edited by Sven Kontio on 4 Dec 2015 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 11:30 pm     Emmons p/p changer questions

Thanks guys. I understand the p/p better & resolved the problem. Have had all pull guitars 'till this one, but I really love this Emmons. It plays great again and very thankful for all the info, especially Jerry Roller.