The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Gibson CGT Console Grande 3 neck Steel Guitar circa 1950s
Scott Hodge

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 7:52 pm    

Beautiful instrument in very good condition, Don Helms (Hank Williams'[oops, asleep at the keyboard] steel player) played a similar 2 neck version. Has been stored for a bit, needs to be restrung, cleaned and set up. Has original case and legs. Could stand to have a new knob on the toggle switch and the toggle is a bit sticky. The CGT was produced from 1951-1957, I'm not sure when this guy was made. I'm looking for $2200 (Can) [about $1600 US] obo. I am in Lindsay, ON, Canada, shipping will cost a bit if you are not local, if you provide me with an address and zip/postal code, I can provide a reasonably close estimate.

NOTE: I have received a couple of offers to trade instruments; although this would normally interest me, I'm really only interested in money at the moment, I just bought 4 guitars and 3 amps, the wife would probably go ape s#!+ if I brought any more home right now.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/kawartha-lakes/gibson-cgt-console-grande-3-neck-steel-guitar-circa-1950s/1110129430?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited by Scott Hodge on 28 Nov 2015 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 8:02 pm    

You Canadians! Always pushing Hank Snow! Don Helms is famous for his playing his Grand console with Hank WILLIAMS! Lol

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 8:02 pm    

Sweet guitar!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 10:24 pm    

never seen tripple neck CG before...very nice...

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 11:27 pm    

Wow!! Nice.
Jerry

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 11:44 pm    

That's in lovely shape too! For some weird reason (likely 'tween my ears) the old Fenders of that era can wear some battle scars and still look peppy, but beat up an old Gibson, and they just look... beat up. Was it your own personal grandmother who's bed it lay under for 50 years, only drive it to church on Easter... (?)

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 4:45 am    

Email sent.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 12:42 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
never seen tripple neck CG before...very nice...

Only 98 made per Duchossoir:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=293158

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 27 Nov 2015 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 8:30 pm    

Wow. ..I love it. .. someday I will to be good enough at pedal steel to graduate to non pedal. ... and these gibsons sure catch my eye.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 10:36 pm    

That is a nice guitar, but that is not the version that Don Helms played. Your guitar is newer. The Helms pickups were like the in the blonde double neck Console Grand for sale on the Forum.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 5:36 am    

Jack - I don't have my copy of that book handy but I'm pretty sure that number was for the blond ones with considerably more (100ish, maybe?) of the sunburst made.

Anyone able to check that out?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 5:46 am    

Chris Bauer wrote:
Jack - I don't have my copy of that book handy but I'm pretty sure that number was for the blond ones with considerably more (100ish, maybe?) of the sunburst made.

You are absolutely correct, Chris. The production tables on pages 156-157 indicate that there were 98 sunbursts and 17 natural finish CG-T instruments shipped between 1951 and 1956.

Thanks for pointing out my error. I have edited my previous posts. Please accept my apologies for dispensing erroneous information.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 2:57 pm    

No worries, Jack! I'm just glad that my memory was actually working correctly for once. Smile

Scott Hodge

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 8:00 pm    

There have been a couple of inquiries asking for more information and pictures. It has 4 legs. The case is original too. The handle I'm told, can be replaced with a leather replica for about $20. It produces equally powerful sound from all three pickups. The toggle feels a little funny but seems to operate correctly, switching between pickups and offering 3 combinations as well (all 3, each individually, 2 lower, 2 upper). I believe my father bought it at an estate auction a few years ago, beyond that I really don't know it's history. Very nice instrument though, it deserves to be played.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 8:21 pm    

Very cool guitar. And a rarity.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 3:35 pm    

Scott - Just wanted to check in to see if you got my email from a few days ago. I'm extremely interested in talking with you about this guitar.

Thanks!

Scott Hodge

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 9:48 pm    

I have had a few inquiries and did a couple of shipping estimates, one to BC in Canada, the other to Tn, USA. The best shipping estimates I've been able to find online were from freightquote.com, a kind of online shipping broker. They said Day and Ross was the cheapest at $521.54 to BC, Canada in a crate, and $557.26 to Tn, USA. I'm estimating based on a crate because these are freight shippers and it may be necessary.

------------------------------------------------------

I've looked into more services and Fedex is coming in at about $92 for Ground or $220 for Economy to ship to BC, Canada or $115 for International Ground or $310 for International Economy to TN, USA.

Scott Hodge

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 8:10 am    

SOLD I want to thank the forum and everyone for your help and interest, I have received a good offer and am currently arranging payment. I would also like to inform everyone that I may be back in the coming weeks as I have been informed that when they finished going through the estate they found 2 more instruments. I don't remember dad saying he had sold the Gibson lap steel he had. Sadly, until I get there to pick them up, I will be blind as to exactly what they are, but if the steel is still there, I'll come here to advertise it. Thanks again! SOLD