The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "computerized" charts
Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 7:33 am    

I've noticed several players using tablets or laptops onstage for reading charts as opposed to individual pieces of paper. Is there a program you can buy with charts already downloaded where you can just call them up as needed or do you have to write a chart then somehow import into a program which can be read through the tablet?

This seems like a much more efficient way of dealing with charts and set lists. Anybody know how this is done and what is needed to do it?

cell # 812-603-1612

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 11:12 am    

Gary, USE AN IPAD. DOWNLOAD UNREALBOOKS FROM APP STORE. THEN I TAKE A PICTURE OF THE WORDS AND TABS. IT WILL ASK YOU FOR A TITLE AND PRESS SAVE. IT WILL THEN BE LISTED A-Z. EARL

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 12:47 pm    

Also check out Setlists.
CLICK HERE

Onsong is the one I hear used the most often, and I have used.
OnSong Website - CLICK HERE
You Tube overview video - CLICK HERE
Using Sheet Music In OnSong

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 3:40 pm    

iRealBook is another... and it will play accompaniment for you too! It's sold bare, then you go to the website and download the song packages, mostly free... this is to get around copyrights etc (the Real Book has always been sketchy that way, even in print form). Change keys, tempo, even styles. Get it from the iTunes AppStore, runs well even on an iPhone 4.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2015 8:29 pm    

I use an IPad. I use an app called 1chart to write charts, and another app called unreal book to view them in.

If you want to hand write your charts, another app called Tiny Scan works great to "scan" them in using your phone or tablet.

**i had to use my iPad to shine a bit of light on my fretboard last night in a dark club.lol

Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 7:22 am    

Has anyone used a program called forScore, I've heard it is good.

Also, if buying an Ipad to use exclusively for this application any feel for how much memory is needed?

cell # 812-603-1612

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 6:31 am    

I spent $150.00 at a local pawn shop. It needs one with a camera and wi-fi

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2015 5:25 am    

I use a Android pad (Nexus, or the like) with a program called Lyric Pad that costs under $4. I create the files on the computer in Notepad and copy to the device. The program indexes the titles and scrolls the words on screen at a programmable rate. You can also build set lists, so when you have over 900 songs in it as I do, this makes it a bit more efficient.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 2:00 pm    

OnSong (for Ipad) was recommended by a friend who was playing acoustic guitar solo and singing. Ocasionally he had some backup music going on while he was performimg. ... told me he was using OnSong.

I downloaded the app. It has A LOT of options controlling text size, controlled scrolling speed of text, you can highlight, make notes etc.

It has a lot of help videos too. Check them out.

It is 20 bucks (or a few bucks more for an add-on if you need it) which is a lot for an app, but it will do most everything you need without having to compromise. You need an ipad though.

K

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2015 6:03 am    

Dan Klotz wrote:
I use an IPad. I use an app called 1chart to write charts, and another app called unreal book to view them in.

If you want to hand write your charts, another app called Tiny Scan works great to "scan" them in using your phone or tablet.

**i had to use my iPad to shine a bit of light on my fretboard last night in a dark club.lol

Unreal book already has a photo to PDF function so there is no need for a scanning app.

I also suggest getting a good protective case for your iPad . They are not sturdy enough for stage use without them in my experience.

Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2015 6:19 pm    

If you have Android and want to use backing tracks for solo, duo, whatever and scroll lyrics, make setlists, etc. try this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syntax.apps.backingtrackstudiofree&hl=en Works great!