The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transitioning from a single to a double neck pedal steel
Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 11:14 am    

I have another simple question regarding transitioning that maybe most of you never have a problem with or even have to think about.
After playing only 3x5 singles, is there any adjustment one has to make to sit behind a double 10 and play E9th? Would I be able to switch back and forth from a single to a double playing E9th on both without retraining my feet to go where they should etc?

I find that the centerline of my body crosses at about the 13th fret on my SD's. I see some players may be at the 15th fret or thereabouts. If I move toward the 15th fret my left leg will miss the LKR lever.

I would like the challenge of learning to play C6th on pedal and even if I don't get very far, I would be pleased if there wasn't a whole bunch of retraining my body to play E9th on a double after always playing a single.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 11:31 am    

I believe it's fairly common for C6 players to remove their left knee from the LKR & LKR bracket anyway. Unless those levers are attached to your rear neck, I don't see a problem with seating yourself farther to the right (15th fret). In fact, you'll find it easier to use pedals 4 through 8 from there. I hope I understood your question correctly.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 11:38 am    

Yes there will probably be some adjusting you will have to do, but it shouldn't be much, and not hard to do. The things I could think of that MIGHT need adjusting would be:

If you sit with your body real close to the S10 body (stomach almost touching), then the E9th neck would probably be farther away from you.

As far as pedals and knee levers go, that can differ on different guitars. Some start with the 1st pedal farther to the right. Levers can be mounted further to the right.

I really don't think you will have to adjust your sitting position much, if at all. Most knee levers (I said MOST) are pretty much mounted towards the back of the guitar, and the center (from front to back). That should put them close to the same positions they are on the S10.

I don't have an S10 to test out my theories, so someone might come on here that does have both and shed more light on the subject.

I can't remember exactly, but when I switched from an S10 ZB to a D10 ZB, I was able to play the D10 by the next weekend gig (I was playing every Friday and Saturday at the time).