The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Current mkt value of fender 800?
W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 11:59 am    

Does anyone have a good idea of the current market value of a fender 800? Let's say VG condition.
I've done some research on the forum and eBay, but they sell so seldom it's hard to tell a 2015 value.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 7:05 pm    

I have seen guys asking $1500 but thats a pipe dream.. i sold one with 6 and 3 for $950, and another with 6 and 4 for $1100.. Both of those steels were exceptionally good playing pedal steels that were dialed in carefully and were well maintained.. I would say $1100 or 1200 is absolute top end for an 800 in good shape,,, Most guys simply won't pay much more than that for an extremely big and heavy[and strange] S10 with no knee levers... If it were $900 or under I would grab it quick. I get balky on these much over $1000-1100.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 7:01 am    

Bob's evaluation is pretty dead-on. The very best of these should be bringing $900-$1100, but because something's old and says "Fender", some sellers think they have a goldmine. Laughing Most all players these days stutter and choke-up without some knee levers, so that mechanical disadvantage will continue to keep the values of the old cable Fenders fairly low.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 1:17 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Bob's evaluation is pretty dead-on. The very best of these should be bringing $900-$1100, but because something's old and says "Fender", some sellers think they have a goldmine. Laughing Most all players these days stutter and choke-up without some knee levers, so that mechanical disadvantage will continue to keep the values of the old cable Fenders fairly low.

I would have gotten more from my last 800 because it had the prototype Michael Yahl modular 4 knee lever system on it, and believe me, it was an amazing design. Those levers worked slicker than snot, and all 4 could be installed in less than an hour with NO tools except a phillips screwdriver.. That hour includes all adjustments and tuning the steel as well! I still think Mike should market that outstanding system!
However, it was a "players grade" instrument cosmetically.. If it was clean and shiny new,it was probably a $1400, MAYBE $1500 steel.. Thats tip top end. These days,players grade 800 w/out levers, $800-900 tops.. A clean one with a few well done levers. maybe $1100- 1200 tops. Anything more, I'm not buying... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 7:28 am    

Thanks Bob and Donny, that's all in line with what I was thinking.