The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Website
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 9:30 pm    

I just got a facelift for my website. Same web address: www.playsteelguitar.com but the individual pages have new addresses, so any old links to the pages will not work.

I have a blog on the site and I plan to put tablature and other stuff on there when I learn how to do that. I used to be pretty good with html coding and uploading content using an FTP program, but times have changed and now I need to learn how to make changes using web building software. It shouldn't be too hard to learn. 10 year old kids can do it! Winking

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 26 Nov 2015 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 7:59 am    

Nice website Doug. I still can't figure out all the functions on my remote. Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 8:32 am    

Me too. I gave up on my remote years ago. And all the buttons on my car's dashboard are a mystery to me, so I never touch them! Surprised

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 8:56 am    

Len I new I had a problem!!!! Could not phrase it as well as you. Can I use it
too. 78 and sill like switches etc.
Joe Elk

Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 10:08 am    

New site looks great, Doug, and all the links I've tried in Chrome display as they should. Good photo, too.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 10:13 am    

Thanks Peter, I'm glad to hear that everything displays okay. I checked it on my PC, iMac, and iPad too. All the links seem to work fine. I'm always a little concerned when big changes happen! Thanks again and have a nice Thanksgiving.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 10:41 am    

New website is great.....clicked on everything and it all works fine. Congrats.

Just curious.....could one take your E9 pedal steel book and adapt it to E9 non-pedal steel in some configuration? If yes, what version of E9 would you recommend for 6 and/or 8 string E9?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 11:13 am    

I think it would be difficult to adapt pedal steel tab to any non-pedal tuning. So much of the tab doesn't transfer over because of the pedals and levers. Maybe if someone already plays pedal steel and understands what every pedal and lever does, in terms of the theory, he could transcribe the PSG tab over to a non-pedal tuning.
IMO the closest non-pedal tuning to E9 pedal steel is A6. That's what E9 PSG becomes (A6) when the two most often used pedals are pressed, pedals A & B, and a lot of PSG licks and voicings incorporate those two pedals. Of course, so much of the pedal steel sound, the pedal licks, are not doable on non-pedal steel.

A few players have told me that they follow the notes (and chords) in my books, but not the tab because their tuning is different... and they listen to the audio, and work out arrangements on their own tuning. To do that, one would have to be a good note reader and know his tuning inside/out.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 6:11 pm    

NIce looking web site, good navigation and i like the picture of you with all the steels !
Not meaning to be critical, but when i went to the links page and clicked on the string gauge link, i got a 404 error. Could be just me since no one else mentioned it
Thanks for all you do for the lap sreel community !!
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 6:18 pm    

Thanks, Larry. You're right... one of the links on the link page doesn't work. I'm gonna fix that when I get a chance.