The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Home Built PSG in Australia
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 1:17 pm    

^bump^ ...It's been a while, and I notice there has been some discussion about home built PSGs here lately.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 2:09 pm    

bet this thing cost more to build than my house ...lol

but man what a guitar !!!!

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 4:30 am    

This guitar is the most amazing thing that I've ever seen!! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 5:44 am    

I'm so glad you did, Doug, as I missed it the first time and like everybody I have no words, but here they are:

Homebuilt? Not what I was expecting to see.

The bridge bloc alone, the materials in the fingers... just the roller nut setting device that lights when each string is level... simply amazing
not to mention the gorgeous machining. This guitar is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen aside from her.
Every little detail....(vp bracket, pedal monograms, it goes on and on, and yes, psg needs a nice panel for the front....)Shocked

Homebuilt is like saying the Titanic was built in somebody's home town.

Thank you, Mr. Hobson. Beautiful. My faith in mankind is restored.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 8:10 am    

I agree, and it amazes me that Alex had only seen pictures of pedal steel guitars before building this.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 3:09 am    

It's "HEAVY" I bet'cha Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 7:47 am    

[quote="Doug Beaumier"]

Hi Alex,

I love this aspect of your design. The capability to rotate the body so undercarriage is face-up (and NOT on the floor) is ingenious. I can imagine using this to troubleshoot, re-time pulls or change copedent. Brilliant!

Doug, thanks for sharing pictures of Ales's guitar with us.

Dan

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 7:59 am    

I too like the rotating body within the frame. What a great idea!

And the changer mechanism blows my mind...

there are 40 stainless steel mini ball bearings in the guitar, 20 in the changer,
10 in the bridge, and 10 in keyless rollers, as they adjust independently.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 8:18 am    

The most hi-tech part:
Doug Beaumier wrote:
From Alex: "The Roller Nut setting device... just remove the dust guard and screw on the Roller Nut setting device. The power supply is 12VDC. Each string has it's own blue LED connected to a brass contact Using an allen key, raise each Roller. When the string touches the brass contact the LED will light up continue until all 10 are complete. You now have all the strings perfectly level for your tone bar."

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 12:32 pm    

Fantastic !I wanna hear it !

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2015 9:30 am    

Here are some new pictures (Dec, 2015)

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2015 5:30 pm    

Hello everyone Thank you all for showing great interest in this pedal steel and I must thank Doug Beaumier for making all this possible and not forgetting Bobs steel guitar forum. Since my last post I have had the pleasure of meeting one of Australia leading Peddle Steelers MR Ed Bates and he spend some time with me helped me a with a few tips on adjustments to the guitar He played the guitar with my Peavey 112 and then his own Fender both sounded great but I had no way of recording Ed was coming back but unfortunately He had a great family loss So be patient he will be back As you can see I have made few new innovations to the guitar what do you think
Take good care Alex Robson

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2015 6:47 pm    

Alex, as a member of the occasional guitar builders fraternity, I have to tell you how very impressed I am with your design and fabrication. It's over the top and I mean that as a supreme compliment. Cheers!

Alex Robson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2015 3:50 pm    

Hi Everyone for those how may interested in latest innovations I just thought I should explain them to you The 3 LEDs lights up the top of the strings and is a self contained unit run by a couple of AA batteries and when you light up the fret board you can play completely in the dark Now as for the height adjustment its very simple to operate unlock a couple of knobs disconnect your pedal bar rods raise or lower to the height you want loosen the lock nuts on your pedal bar rods refit and then lock that's about it Now if your lucky like me having shares in a crane hire company to get around ( only joking) It only has to wheel from room to room Look I'm still overwhelmed by your interest in this guitar designed and built by an old engineer that really got carried away Thank you all very its been a pleasure to be a member of Bobs steel guitar forum

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2015 8:22 pm    

Alex Robson wrote:
Hi Everyone for those how may interested in latest innovations I just thought I should explain them to you The 3 LEDs lights up the top of the strings and is a self contained unit run by a couple of AA batteries and when you light up the fret board you can play completely in the dark

Hi Alex,

Funny you should mention this.... timing is everything. The subject of fretboard and other lighting to help when using pedal steel on a dark stage has come up recently. Some food for thought: I have seen the Live-Edge fretboard on Gary Reed's guitar... very cool!
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=294162

Jim Palenscar's new MSA Legend has in-built fret-lighting (thou shalt not covet, but a man can dream):
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=293932

I would like to learn more about what you have done, and are planning. Watching your progress has been fascinating.

All the best, and a Merry Christmas,
Dan

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 6:53 pm    

Here are new pictures from Alex showing the fretboard lighting!

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 11:00 pm    

Alex, if you ever decide to sell this fantastic piece of glourious over-engineering, you've got a buyer! Love it!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2015 10:47 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Here are new pictures from Alex showing the fretboard lighting!

Thanks Doug (again)!

Alex this is cool. Your impressive innovation continues! This is a unique approach. If I'm getting it right, each fret has a dedicated light source (LED?), and is made of something that conducts and emits light. The differentiating trait is color selection for each fret. Makes sense. We're accustomed to guitar necks with inlaid dots repeated at 3rd and 5th position.

Good on ya', Mate!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2015 11:05 am    

I didn't notice that... different colors at frets 3, 5, 7, 9, 12... where fret markers are on standard guitar/steel.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 7:34 am    

I just received word from Alex's son that Alex passed away this week. Sad news, indeed.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 9:38 am    

Very sad to hear. Mr. Robison may have built the ultimate pedal steel. I think he was a fine man as well.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 10:28 am    

This bad news, the man was incredibly perceptive and obviously a MASTER machinist. It sounds selfish but I really would have enjoyed seeing more of Alex's expertise. Sad day for sure Charlie....Stormy.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 12:08 pm    

With Alex's passing we have lost yet another builder - and an innovator. "The bar has been set very high" - in every sense of the expression.

On reflection I find it intriguing that two Australian builders (Noel Anstead being the other) have been inspired to build this complex musical machine using such unique designs, but then Australians have always been prepared to make things work in ways not previously attempted. Perhaps it's part of our British colonial heritage, embedded in our DNA.

RIP Alex Robson. You built better than you knew.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 9:34 pm     Home built PSG in Australia

Sorry to hear of Mr. Robson's passing. Rest in Peace Mr. Robson.

Would liked to have been able to consult with him on a project I have thought of for the last couple months. Have not put on paper yet.
Some very interesting engineering principals in this build. A separate frame with the PSG suspended in it. Having string rollers adjustable for bar contact. As some people say. "He was thinking out of the box".

Brad Higgins

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 5:34 am    

What an incredible creation, it's as much a work of art as it is an amazing machine, I'm so sorry to hear of Alex's passing!