Author Topic:  I Got Scammed Part 2
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 7:16 am    

thanks my friend... take care, and be careful out there

James Flaherty

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 2:59 pm    

Thanks for keeping us updated on this and letting us all know the process you had to go through. I hope no one else in the forum has to go through this but if they do they can always look to your example. Thanks again.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 6:16 am     Difficult to trust these days.

Anymore I think the only way to buy or sell is through a third party. Either a music store or a trusted individual. I see about an attempted scam about once a week professionally. One is these people send you credit card info and say they need the order rushed. Usually the card is declined a day or two after the transaction. For unknown buyers we now request certified funds.
For musical instruments I will only use a third party. The last transaction I used Mickey Adams. I sent him the money, the seller sent him the guitar and it was done. I once had a guy send me $2400.00 in $100.00 bills. No return address, no information at all. I tried to email him and they were returned. I kept the guitar and about six months later he contacted me and I sent it to him. Never knew why?
Bottom line is you cannot be too cautious, a lot of unsavory folks that spend hours combing the internet and Craig's list looking for pigeons.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 6:52 am     Re: Difficult to trust these days.

Niels Andrews wrote:
Anymore I think the only way to buy or sell is through a third party. Either a music store or a trusted individual. I see about an attempted scam about once a week professionally. One is these people send you credit card info and say they need the order rushed. Usually the card is declined a day or two after the transaction. For unknown buyers we now request certified funds.
For musical instruments I will only use a third party. The last transaction I used Mickey Adams. I sent him the money, the seller sent him the guitar and it was done. I once had a guy send me $2400.00 in $100.00 bills. No return address, no information at all. I tried to email him and they were returned. I kept the guitar and about six months later he contacted me and I sent it to him. Never knew why?
Bottom line is you cannot be too cautious, a lot of unsavory folks that spend hours combing the internet and Craig's list looking for pigeons.

Basically, an escrow service who makes sure both sides of the transaction behave accordingly. It costs more... two shipping charges, etc.... but I'd consider it insurance and peace of mind.

While I'm not referring to the gentleman mentioned in this particular thread, there are larcenous people out there who happen to share our interest in steel guitar but with a different moral or values compass than others. Which is why I feel the concept of "forum brother," while generally true, is also a trifle naive.

I've been burned by folks here on the forum. I've been around the steel guitar world enough decades to know about steel players who've absconded with steel club treasuries, guys who've taken master tapes owned by other people, burned their bandmates, and more. It's a small percentage, infinitesimal perhaps, but still enough to consider a CYA attitude more than appropriate.

What is confounding to me is when someone who's generally been a good member of the community for quite some time, considered trustworthy, who then commits some sort of dubious deed that soils his reputation. I can think of at least two or three guys from the forum that fit that description.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 4:23 pm    

Glad it worked out for you, Damir. You're a good guy & did NOT deserve to be scammed like this.

It's really a shame & kind of ironic...the more technology advances, the more people find ways to use it to scam people, and in my book, anyone that rips off a musician deserves a beatdown, since we struggle enough just trying to make a few bucks to survive.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 10:22 pm    

Congrats on the win!Very Happy

BUT...I have to say that PayPal is NOT a "safe" way to pay....I have been ripped off by them 2 times, and had a ton of proof in my favor...but they did not lift a finger to help.Mad

I still use them, because everyone does, but it does not mean I trust them or recommend them to anyone anymore.... Sad

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 4:51 am    

OK, am I missing something, did a recent post get deleted, or did somebody actually bring back a year-and-a-half old thread and people are responding as if it's current?

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 27 May 2017 9:49 am    

Makes no difference. It's the artful transition and redirect that counts! Makes me feel younger for some reason!

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 12:53 pm    

I'm glad the scammer got nailed, but just so everyone knows: just because someone is a forum member doesn't mean they're honest. I was scammed only one time in dealing through SGF, and that was with a forum member. Bob terminated his forum membership over it (and some other things) but I still lost $300. Guess there is only one rule: you pays your money and you takes your chances.... Gil

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 7:05 pm    

Yahoo!! Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks Joey for unlocking this so we could see the outcome.

Last edited by Mark Greenway on 31 Jul 2017 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 7:07 pm    

You and the old lady had a good day. She gets probation ( Are you kidding me!) and you get your money back. I bet she's very happy, and I bet she won't stop.

But, way to go Damir. It's very hard to get done what you did. Yea for you!!

Just curious, why didn't you get all of your money back?

Did she do jail time? How long?

Did she have to post bail?

Just how old is she?