Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 11:48 am    

Check out my latest interview with Dobro master Jerry Douglas
http://squareneckjournal.com/2015/09/18/a-conversation-with-jerry-douglas/

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 12:01 pm    

That's a great interview, one of my favorites so far. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 12:05 pm    

Really nice interview. Right in his prime now? We have a lot to look forward to with Mr. Douglas. Thanks

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 12:29 pm    

Great job, Rob! Well done interview.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 1:24 pm    

This is what I wrote on Rob's Facebook page earlier:

Great job indeed. This is easily the best interview with Jerry I have ever read in regards to how he approaches actual playing. I don't believe it would be possible to get him to expound on these ideas if the interviewer is a non-dobroist. Your questions are well thought out and very creative. You have been doing a wonderful service with these interviews. My hat is off to you sir!

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 18 Sep 2015 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 1:31 pm    

What those guys said! Thanks again Rob.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 1:44 pm    

JD's interview is a real winner.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2015 5:49 am    

Fantastic read. Thank you!

Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 12:40 pm    

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! I've been a fan of JD ever since the first moment I heard him play back in 1979. And I've been studying his music and his (sometimes unorthodox) technique and approach to playing the dobro ever since. I'm thrilled that he would take the time to share such detailed insights into his approach to playing the dobro.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 11:18 am    

Hey Rob - our paths should cross at some point. I know we stomp around the same area. I've played Kiss the Sky Records & the Roundhouse on many occasions. Looking forward to meeting you some time.

Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 3:16 pm    

Thanks Chris. It looks like we know a lot of the same local musicians but somehow our paths have never crossed until now. I'll reach out via Facebook!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 2:01 pm    

Great interview! (Pretty good subject, too) The first thing I noticed, when I got the "Earls..." CD, was how well Jerry did at "not playing like Jerry Douglas."

He is truly one of the all-time best. I sorta feel like there's been only four influential dobro players. Oswald, Josh, Mike, and Jerry. A lot of others are kickin' it pretty good--Greg Booth, the guy who plays with Rhonda Vincent--But stand back, and you can hear the influences.

Great interview. Now I need to find enough time to go back and listen!

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 2:50 pm    

Steve, it would be news to Greg that he's playing with Rhonda Vincent, he plays with The Kathy Kallick Band based here in the Bay Area.

You're thinking of Brent Burke who plays with Rhonda.

Alluding to what Steve wrote, there are a number of other great dobro players these days compared to say even 20 years ago, and there is no bigger fan of Jerry than I, but in compiling a short list of players who have had a major influence on the instrument, it is not complete without Rob Ickes. As far as I know he is the only player to ever be featured on the cover of a mainstream guitar publication one can pick up in their local supermarket as I did a few years ago. You normally see the likes of Clapton, Slash, Eddie Van Halen, Mark Knopfler, Joe Satriani, etc. on the cover - it was pretty darn cool to see one of the world's top dobroists as the feature article in Guitar Player few years back.

"Resonator Radical" indeed!

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 6 Jan 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 3:02 pm    

Back to Jerry and the Grammy winning Earls of Leicester CD (there will be a second Earls CD at some point).

I've seen the band live three times now since they formed and I commented to Jerry after one of the shows here in NorCal a little over a year ago that it was cool that he is playing a mid 1930s Regal-built Model 37 Dobro in the band instead of his high horsepower Beard JD Signature model, though the old Dobro had gotten a fresh setup from Paul Beard including a modern Beard Legend cone which IMO gives it a depth and fullness it never had with a pre WWII cone.

Jerry replied with, "you need an old Dobro for this Flatt & Scruggs music to get the Josh effect - the new guitars don't have the "crash and bang" that the old Dobros have."

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 8:07 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
Steve, it would be news to Greg that he's playing with Rhonda Vincent, he plays with The Kathy Kallick Band based here in the Bay Area.

You're thinking of Brent Burke who plays with Rhonda.

Alluding to what Steve wrote, there are a number of other great dobro players these days compared to say even 20 years ago, and there is no bigger fan of Jerry than I, but in compiling a short list of players who have had a major influence on the instrument, it is not complete without Rob Ickes. As far as I know he is the only player to ever be featured on the cover of a mainstream guitar publication one can pick up in their local supermarket as I did a few years ago. You normally see the likes of Clapton, Slash, Eddie Van Halen, Mark Knopfler, Joe Satriani, etc. on the cover - it was pretty darn cool to see one of the world's top dobroists as the feature article in Guitar Player few years back.

"Resonator Radical" indeed!

Sorry, Mark. Blame it on lousy punctuation on my part. And, a faulty memory that can't remember Bret's name. Of course I knew that Greg Booth played with Kathy Kallick--I wasn't trying to insult Greg, who's as good as it gets, and is one of my favorites--Another guy that's taking the dobro in a different direction--As Jerry credits Mike Auldridge with doing.

As for Rob Ickes--what a great player, and a great guy. I wish more people were aware of him. Blue Highway is a good band, that a lot of people have never heard. Rob is an incredible band member, and I'm sure they'll miss him.

Rob, the first dobro player on the cover of a guitar magazine? I'm not sure if he ever made the cover, but Mike Auldridge wrote a monthly column in "Guitar Player," several years back. Jeff Newman wrote a steel guitar column, and Rusty Young did, as well. Rusty was voted "Steel Guitarist of the Year," 5 years in a row. After 5 wins, He went to the Gallery of the Greats, as they called it, and was not eligible any more. Only then, was Buddy Emmons elected.
(All this was before "Guitar Player" became a supermarket magazine. You'd see Segovia, or Joe Pass, or Chet Atkins on the cover. And remember, "Guitar Player" was started by a steel guitar player. Might have been before your time--again, no insult intended.)

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 10:07 am    

It never occurred to me that you were trying to insult Greg, I'm sure he'd be honored to play with Rhonda Vincent!

Actually, I wish it weren't before my time - it would make me a lot younger. Guitar Player was started in Silicon Valley (when it was still known as the Santa Clara Valley) in San Jose about four miles from where I grew up by the owners of a very well known guitar store that is still in business, Guitar Showcase, and became a regular publication to be found on newsstands in the mid 1970s. The magazine actually started in the late 1960s.

A number of our fellow California members are very familiar with the store, and I took seven or eight dobro lessons there in 1976/77 from a guy named Tom Webb, who played pedal steel, dobro, banjo and maybe other instruments.

So yeah, I go way back with Guitar Player.

But the years fly by, don't they? It's been a lot more than several years since Mike Auldridge wrote a column for the magazine. Wish I still had those issues.

And there has been at least one other dobro player on the cover. Tut Taylor was on there with a Dobro in the early years of the magazine, but that's when you either subscribed, or bought it at your local music store. It wasn't really something you'd find on the magazine rack at the supermarket back then.

And I might still have the one with Rusty Young on the cover around here somewhere buried in a box in the garage!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 7:14 pm    

I remember the comment somebody made, when Bud Eastman started the magazine--"OK, what are you gonna do for the SECOND issue?"

I still read 'em, sometimes--Terrible habit, not wanting to throw magazine away--But it's definitely not the same magazine.

Now, you got junk like "Guitar World", with women in bikinis on the cover. Who wants to look at that? Embarassed Embarassed

As far as Greg Booth, Brent Burke, and the bands they play with--I like Kathy Kallick better. I wish a lot more of those West Coast bluegrass bands could afford to make the trip East (and South) a lot more. I've seen Laurie Lewis once, with Peter McLaughlin in the band, and they, and they SMOKED!
And while we're talking West Coast players--Sally VanMeter?

Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 11:38 am    

Great interview Rob, and great selection of youtube-clips !