The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Other ways to block
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 1:51 pm    

I have noticed that I have developed the habit of blocking with my thumb on my bar hand. It's just something that happened. Anyone else do this or is it a totally bad habit to have? I hope not because I don't know if I can stop doing it!![/img]

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 2:10 pm    

anything that works.
see my post from 5 minutes earlier.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=289906

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 2:43 pm    

If it works for you, than do it. Many of us are not as dexterous as others, so, other ways are usually found. They're not WRONG, just different. I know that there is a mantra held by some, that, there is only one way pick, control the bar, use the volume pedal and even sit. If that works for them.... that's great! But, it doesn't work for everyone. My picking hand does not fit the mold, but, I can hold my own with most pickers. I was told by Jeff Newman, who advocated a specific style, that he didn't want me to change because I was picking quite nicely and achieving my goals. So, don't get too upset if you've found a more comfortable way of blocking. It's just another tool in your gig bag.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 3:58 pm    

There are no right or wrongs here. Use your imagination. After time you will develop your own blocking style that fits your playing and body.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 4:41 pm    

I don't understand how you could block strings 1-5 with your left thumb while holding the bar.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 11:00 pm    

Quote:
I don't understand how you could block strings 1-5 with your left thumb while holding the bar.

You don't, Tom, those strings are more effectively blocked with the right palm and little finger, with which it is sometimes difficult to reach the lower strings without messing up higher ones.

Use what ya got, as long as it works...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2015 11:09 am    

One that you never see mentioned any more is, tip your bar up so the nose is only on one string. Jeff Newman taught this. All the fingers on the left hand mute any adjacent strings. This is used for single note runs, and works well with fast single note runs. Jeff used to say to have the left hand follow the right hand. He used to say it's like painting. Your bar follows what string is being picked by the right hand.

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2015 7:40 pm    

Richard, I practice that one (or try to) pretty regularly, and I've never quite figured out one thing -- when I do it, the bar naturally tends to come in contact with one of the adjacent strings. I'm not sure if this is ideal or not, but it does seem to help achieve a bit of balance. So my question is, in addition to your target string, are you also supposed to touch the nose of the bar to the string farther from you, or the string nearer to you, or are you not supposed to do this at all? Sorry if this is a derail. This may merit its own discussion.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2015 10:45 pm    

I learned this from a pick blocking book from many years ago and I still use this type blocking.
However before you try this you might want to go here and still see if you like it.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=228311&highlight=pick+blocking

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 9:51 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
One that you never see mentioned any more is, tip your bar up so the nose is only on one string. Jeff Newman taught this. All the fingers on the left hand mute any adjacent strings. This is used for single note runs, and works well with fast single note runs. Jeff used to say to have the left hand follow the right hand. He used to say it's like painting. Your bar follows what string is being picked by the right hand.

Good suggestion Richard! Buddy Charleton was an advocate of this technique, particularly on C6 with single-note playing.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2015 10:14 am    

bo, you're good at drawing fingers!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 12:27 pm    

My teacher in Milwaukee (Kenny?) would sometimes lift the bar to block. Not often, but he did it well. Very good player! Wish I could remember his name! Been a long while!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2015 3:39 pm    

This is a very important block especially if you want to have kids!!