Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unissued ballad by the Chief featuring Big E
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 4:23 pm    

link to.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z25idl85H58&feature=em-share_video_user

Goodness gracious how great they were and never to be forgotten. Enjoy.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 5:04 pm    

Yeah, that's about as strong as it gets.

But I'm confused:

The youtube poster says it's "unissued".

"Each Time" was released on LP over 40 years ago.

The discography in the Bear Family boxed set says it was cut twice--in June and August of 1966, with the June version being "unissued/lost".

The June version supposedly had Pete Drake on steel.

Is this youtube guy claiming this take is the unissued/lost take that is not on the Bear box?

My possibly tin ears say it's the same issued and familiar take, with Buddy.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 7:14 pm    

"Sweetheart of the Year" LP - 1969

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 4:22 am    

I'm thinking the version of the song released in Jan. 1966 on the lp "Same Old Me" could be the version with Pete Drake on steel.

Bear could have made a mistake in their discography. Both listed cuts are time stamped 18:00 - 21:00. Hard to believe both were recorded in the same 3 hour time slot but on different days .

Touch My heart was supposedly lost as well. When was it re-recorded?

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 6:16 am    

Graham:

I've got "The Same Old Me" LP and "The Sweetheart Of The Year" LP. But they are in storage and I can't play them to listen for different versions.

Problem is, I can't recall ever hearing more than one version of "Each Time"--the one that matches the Youtube version, with Buddy.

"Touch My Heart" was cut at least 4 times:

February 16, 1966, with Buddy; unissued and lost
June 27, 1966, with Buddy; unissued and lost
August 11, 1966, twice, with Buddy; both versions issued. One runs 3'06" and the other runs 3'34".

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 7:33 am    

Mitch:

In the Bear set you will find the first version of "Each Time" on disc 8, track 13, and the later version on disc 10, track 12.

As for "Touch My heart", the first version is far better than the alternate take, IMO, and is as good as the same song he did for Step One Records on the Greatest hits Vol. 2 lp. E's playing is killer on both, not so much on the "alternate take".

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 8:20 am    

Graham wrote:
Mitch:

In the Bear set you will find the first version of "Each Time" on disc 8, track 13, and the later version on disc 10, track 12.

Graham:

Thanks for that.

I'm handicapped by also having that Price Bear box buried in storage. All I have immediate access to is photocopies of the booklet discography and the mp3s I kept from the box.

So---you are saying that disk 8/track 13 is in fact the June 27, 1966 Pete Drake version, in spite of the fact that the included discography says that version is lost and unissued?

Or is disk 8/track 13 a third Columbia version?

When I ripped the boxed set to mp3, I kept only the version matching Youtube, which is Buddy, presumably August 11, 1966. I must have not been impressed with any other versions in the box or I would have kept them.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 8:20 am    

This is a great post and just the beginning of the conversation and research that will take place regarding this great musician's career. The collective knowledge of the Steel Guitar Forum members is very impressive and essential to these studies - plus fun to read!

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 8:31 am    

Robert:

What's going to prove annoying is that Buddy's pre-Nashville recording career is pretty much undocumented and left to speculation.

I was hoping that the details would be obtained from Buddy directly and possibly included in his biography--but the last I heard was that the biography was called off several years ago.

He is known to have recorded with Jimmy Work, Casey Clark, and Chuck Carroll before going to Nashville, but information is sparse and shaky. No one knows how many additional and undocumented singles by obscure artists on which Buddy played might be out there.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 11:44 am    

I'm traveling and don't have the record in front of me, but our former Bass player (he has passed on) Bernie Waldon did a session that Buddy is on one side of the 45 rpm and Pete Drake is on the other side. He said they were "split sessions".

The side with Buddy sounds like it was before the addition of the two chromatic strings.

Bernie Waldon was a DJ in Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 12:16 pm    

Not to veer off topic but ... what a sweet sound!

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 12:22 pm    

One word---"Wonderful".

Danny Spinks

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 10:17 am    

Based on the information above, "Touch My Heart" must have been recorded at least five times.

Two recordings are listed as "unissued/lost".

The original single had a steel 5541 intro.

The "Touch My Heart" album version had fiddle intro.

The "Greatest Hits" album version had a steel 5511 intro.

This is from memory, as I don't have a turntable available to play them at present.

Danny

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 12:00 pm    

there are only 3 songs on the "Touch My Heart" lp with a fiddle intro - Swinging Doors, You Took My Happy Away and Just For The Record.

There are 3 that have a guitar intro and 5 with a steel intro.

2 versions recorded in 1966 - the alternate take had a fiddle intro.
Greatest Hits - Vol.2 version was recorded in either 1985 or '86 at Step One Records in Nashville. Buddy Emmons on steel.

Danny Spinks

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 12:40 pm    

I have 2 "Touch My Heart" lps and both of them have a fiddle intro on "Touch My Heart".

When I bought the "TMH" album, I was surprised and disappointed that the album cut was not the same as the single.

Was there more than one release of the "TMH" album"?

Danny

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 12:50 pm    

Danny Spinks wrote:
I have 2 "Touch My Heart" lps and both of them have a fiddle intro on "Touch My Heart".

When I bought the "TMH" album, I was surprised and disappointed that the album cut was not the same as the single.

Was there more than one release of the "TMH" album"?

Danny

Yes.

The 3'06" version of the song appeared only on the first pressing. I assume this is a fiddle intro version.

Later pressings had the 3'34" version. It has the steel intro.

That info is taken from the Bear box discography.

I don't know what version was on 45 rpm single, but I assume from your comments that it was the 3'34" steel intro version.

Danny Spinks

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 2:00 pm    

Yes, the album lists the time as 3:06.

The single actually lists the time as 3:32.

Guess I should have waited to buy the album.

45 rpm info:

4-43795
ZSP 115446
3:32

Danny

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 5:07 pm    

The 3:06 version is the "alternate" take version on disc 10 of the Bear set.

It boggles the mind as to why they release this version over that version when making up lp's. Seems to me they could get a product that would please most everybody if the fiddles and steel shared the intro instead of pleasing some and disappointing others!

Almost like some of todays country where they scale back the steel for release in certain markets.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 5:20 pm    

Though I can't imagine Ray Price doing cuts with Pete Drake, I guess stranger things have happened. I remember buying the Ray Price album "Take Me As I Am", and I was rather shocked and disappointed to hear NO steel at all. None. Zip. Nada. It was all big band arrangements with mostly strings and brass, and I gotta tell 'ya, friends, "Night Life" just doesn't cut it without the steel intro and ride. Muttering

Of course, this album was released when most everyone was going "Countrypolitan", to try to and get away from old country sounds and boost their sales. Why, it probably sold a dozen or two copies in California and New York, alone! Oh Well

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 5:41 pm    

How many times was Ray on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson? Quite regularly as I recall----but I can't recall a single appearance with Ray's band. Always with Doc and his band. I don't think Ray ever brought a single band member, so of course no steel.

Not sure how far back those appearances go--maybe the mid 1970s? I remember Ray and Johnny talking about raising thoroughbred horses and Ray said that his friend Joe Adcock said it cost a minimum of $2,000 a month to keep a decent thoroughbred around. Adcock being the former great home run hitter for the Milwaukee Braves, who apparently got into race horses in some capacity after his retirement from baseball.

Was Buddy Emmons ever on national TV on one of the big 3 networks in a live performance, say pre-1980, before the cable TV era?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 5:57 pm    

Quote:
Though I can't imagine Ray Price doing cuts with Pete Drake, I guess stranger things have happened.

Indeed! Laughing

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 6:07 pm    

Simply put ------------ Great. Anyone know who did the superb harmony. Those high notes made my shorts curl up with envy/

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 4:07 am    

Donny:
In 1986, Ray re-did that song on a double lp from Step One Records entitled "The Heart of Country Music."

While it is done without the big band sound, the intro and break are done with a flat-top guitar and there is a bit of dobro back-up in it. The song begs for steel but there is no steel on any of the 20 tracks.

Some of the tracks: Have I Told You Lately;Walking The Floor;I Can't Help It;Blue Eyes Crying;Slipping Around;She Thinks I Still Care;Jealous Heart;Today I Started Loving You and The Last Letter.

Both the song in question and The Last Letter featured steel guitar when originally released in 1964 and '65.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 10:49 am    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
...Was Buddy Emmons ever on national TV on one of the big 3 networks in a live performance, say pre-1980, before the cable TV era?

iirc, In the "Ask Buddy" website, Buddy said he was on the Johnny Carson Show playing Bass with Roger Miller, on the same night Muhammad Ali was on.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 3:33 pm    

Quote:
The song begs for steel but there is no steel on any of the 20 tracks.

That's just…

...to me.