The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Newbie Intro
Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 12:47 pm    

Hello and Thanks for having me! I have recently been learning to play an old 6 string Morrell that I purchased 20+ years ago primarily to hang on the wall in my (then) music room. I had been giving guitar lessons and was intrigued by this guitar that someone consigned. I bought it but only gave it a half-hearted effort after trying some Mel Bay and Hal Leonard books and it was soon assigned it's role as decor. Years later, I was digging out all of this old gear as my son has become interested in playing guitar, and cleaned up the neglected and dusty Morrell. I started messing around with this thing a couple of months ago and it has quickly morphed into full blown lap steel fever! The available resources have slightly increased beyond the books I tried out years ago. I originally thought that surely I can coax some nice sounds out of this old-school overblown gear (ADA preamp rack setup and a 4x12 cabinet) but have since purchased a Roland Micro Cube GX. Amazing little practice amp. I have been looking at different guitars via Ebay and this Forums' for sale section trying to decide between old vintage and new six strings. I know that this subject has been discussed quite extensively here but it's all new to me so I keep digging through the archives. Music stores that stock lap steels in my town are pretty much non-existent so I may take a road trip to Nashville to try out some models so I can have a better idea what I want. I was thinking that I may purchase an SX Lap Pro Ash 3TS to have a guitar that will stay in tune while I save my pennies for something else.

I had actually planned on this just being a quick intro but.. ah well. Smile Again thanks for having me. Great Forum.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 2:05 pm    

Welcome to the steel guitar forum...you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum...I aint one of those guys, but I enjoy the steel anyway, both the pedal and non-pedal. It depends on what price range you are willing to pay, but you cant go wrong with a Melbert steel guitar...check out their web site...

http://www.melbert.guitars/

sometimes he has a "BLEm" model at a really good price...I owned one and never could find the "blem"...haha...i sold that one to a friend and ordered another one...great guitars, great sound, and excellent finish and materials !! Anyway, have fun and I am glad for you that you have resurrected an old interest !!
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 7:56 pm    

Thanks! Yeah that looks very sweet.. You know, it's surprising how few actual lap steel reviews there are to be found. Most of the "review" videos I've come across on youtube are usually some variation of someone like "here is a recording king I just bought.. it's pretty nice. I cant play it yet but here is what it sounds like when I have it hooked up to a distortion pedal".

And more power to them and all, but it's nice when someone goes through the instrument somewhat piece by piece and maybe mentions what they may like or not like about it. Maybe I'll post my own non-professional review of this Morrell in case there is someone out there trying to decide on a starter lap steel. Better to contribute than criticize, Granny used to say.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 11:55 pm    

Here's my site with a little help.

How To Choose a Quality Lap Steel | ilapsteel.wordpress.com
https://ilapsteel.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/how-to-choose-a-quality-lap-steel/
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 5:31 am    

Excellent Info! Thanks very much!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 5:45 am    

Welcome, Brent! Dive in and ask questions. This is the place to tap into the finest step community in the world.