The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Questions about net PSG you tube contributors
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 8:50 am    

that brings up an interesting aspect, jim. evidently some people have the drive to teach as much or more than to become a great player, as it seems in that guys case he's teaching as soon as he is learning.
...rather than the natural progression (i would think) of first learning, then teaching.
so maybe you should at least consider your sources. for instance, i wouldn't expect to learn surgery from a butcher.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 10:48 am    

Stephen Wow! I'm flattered you took the time to read up on all my contributions here on the Forum. Thanks Bo

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 12:30 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:
Stephen Wow! I'm flattered you took the time to read up on all my contributions here on the Forum. Thanks Bo

I'm not alone, Bo.

Ian Rae

Bo, why not write just two or three paragraphs and post them all?

Richard Sinkler

Well Charlie, the Leggs just get under my skin. I have not heard any of his examples, because, like I said, I stay away from any thread they start, and usually pass over any post they make in someone else's post. I have to not make the mistake of opening one of their threads.

And in the "one in every crowd" dept...

Bo Legg wrote:
...I think this is something that needs to be addressed with the hopes that the confusion could be cleared up.
The only confusion here lies in who/what specifically it is that you're talking about. If you want to clear up any potential confusion for the newbies, get to the point. Be specific. Who? Where? Specific example? I'll be waiting (though not actually expecting anything substantive).

I don't get it?!?

Bo Legg

Richard I usually write two or three pages of what I want to say. I copy and paste a little of it at a time so each post won’t be too long
Because of that my communicating style is a little unusual and misunderstood in that you have to read more than the my first topic post to really grasp where I’m trying to go with the topic. Bottom line It's my fault my topics go bad.

Hard to disagree with that one, Bo. You finally got something right.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 1:19 pm    

This topic seems to have meandered a bit. It seems like some very basic things are missing from the discussion.

1. Steel players are generally pretty intelligent. A serious beginner who can put the instrument together and tune it, should be able to get a sense of whether someone who is offering you tube instruction is questionable. There is so much stuff on you tube to compare. That alone should give a sense of what is not worth spending time on. Also, add in that most new steel players have played guitar, bass, etc., and are not totally green.

2. I started playing in 1976, with a book and a couple of Jeff Newman courses. Over the next 10 years or so, PSGA, in New York, sponsored some seminars that were excellent but covered too much material in too little time to fully absorb it all. Still, there was a lot of good stuff that I took from those seminars. We are fortunate to have so much instruction, much of it free, available on you tube, whenever we want it. I can only say thank you to the many individuals who have made the material available. I can't express how much I would have wanted these videos available to me in 1976.

3. Bo, William Litaker never has told me that I couldn't play. Maybe it's in the interpretation.

I hope this is on topic. What was the topic, anyway???

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 7:43 pm    

Steel guitar is a musical instrument, not an institution, organization or secret society. The only thing one should be concerned with is how his own playing is coming along. As far as I know, it's not against the law to suck at steel guitar. Post crappy videos to your own detriment, simple as that.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 10:46 pm    

My reply in blue Bo Legg
Howard Steinberg wrote:
This topic seems to have meandered a bit. It seems like some very basic things are missing from the discussion.
Civility is missing
1. Steel players are generally pretty intelligent. A serious beginner who can put the instrument together and tune it, should be able to get a sense of whether someone who is offering you tube instruction is questionable. There is so much stuff on you tube to compare. That alone should give a sense of what is not worth spending time on. Also, add in that most new steel players have played guitar, bass, etc., and are not totally green.
Well stated and an intellegent person would have just stated politely in some form as you have "Bo you're concerned about something that is not a problem" without personally assaulting me.
2. I started playing in 1976, with a book and a couple of Jeff Newman courses. Over the next 10 years or so, PSGA, in New York, sponsored some seminars that were excellent but covered too much material in too little time to fully absorb it all. Still, there was a lot of good stuff that I took from those seminars. We are fortunate to have so much instruction, much of it free, available on you tube, whenever we want it. I can only say thank you to the many individuals who have made the material available. I can't express how much I would have wanted these videos available to me in 1976.
I really just go on youtube to check out guitar and steel players. I spent a fortune on Music education and associated materials so I have little need for a Youtube teacher.
3. Bo, William Litaker never has told me that I couldn't play. Maybe it's in the interpretation.
I pay for Litakers live sessions as a donation and I watch because it's entertaining.
Everyone knows here on the forum that Stuart and I love William Litaker and we hope he continues teaching as long as he lives. He tells me I can't play indirectly, I explained that in a reply here

I hope this is on topic. What was the topic, anyway???

You're right on topic. Thank you Bo

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 11:46 pm    

My reply in Blue Bo Legg
Stephen Gambrell wrote:
Bo Legg wrote:

I'm not alone, Bo.
No kidding
Ian Rae

Bo, why not write just two or three paragraphs and post them all?
I agreed in a previous reply "a good idea"
Richard Sinkler

Well Charlie, the Leggs just get under my skin. I have not heard any of his examples, because, like I said, I stay away from any thread they start, and usually pass over any post they make in someone else's post. I have to not make the mistake of opening one of their threads.
And in the "one in every crowd" dept...
Your opinion of me personally and my posts has to be at least a little suspect since you state you never read them.

Bo Legg wrote:
...I think this is something that needs to be addressed with the hopes that the confusion could be cleared up.
The only confusion here lies in who/what specifically it is that you're talking about. If you want to clear up any potential confusion for the newbies, get to the point. Be specific. Who? Where? Specific example? I'll be waiting (though not actually expecting anything substantive).

I don't get it?!?
Why am I not surprised

Bo Legg

Richard I usually write two or three pages of what I want to say. I copy and paste a little of it at a time so each post won’t be too long
Because of that my communicating style is a little unusual and misunderstood in that you have to read more than the my first topic post to really grasp where I’m trying to go with the topic. Bottom line It's my fault my topics go bad.
Hard to disagree with that one, Bo. You finally got something right.

I plainly stated my topics are misunderstood because some folks just skip over everything I say after my first topic post. In other words they don't read enough and then they try to blame their ignorance on me.

Bottom line it's my fault my topics go bad.
It is my fault I still post topics knowing all of the above.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 12:00 am    

I got the answer to my question.
b0b close it. Thanks Bo

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 12:13 am    

I didn't pay much attention to this thread until
Someone suggested that I may be the contributor to YouTube that has posted "hundreds of videos but not one complete song"... If that IS the case.... You obviously have not scoured my entire channel.. There are several complete songs...
Personally, my idea was to post the "real meat" in the songs I've posted, and concentrate on explaining them mathematically, musically, and as close to context, as my interpretation will allow...
As for "the guy" on the other side of the coin...
I don't think he professes to be a teacher... At all... He is showing you how he can play... But he does not communicate anything regarding his technique, or explain the content in any way..
so what?
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 1:36 am    

Bo Legg wrote:
I suggested that a person do their own research and then give their opinion.
Stuart and I have purchased teaching materials from about everyone who produces them and from some we have almost their whole inventory. I lost count but it is something like $1,400 for tab and we did it mostly to just to help out the folks who were teaching so they would continue.
Stuart and I have been paying for lessons online and have spent about $400 on one person that I like and is a fine teacher but neither Stuart nor I have used any of it. We enjoy his session though.
So I put my money where my mouth is.
I forgot to mention how many of these folks Steel guitar seminars I have gone to and paid for.

Totally irrelevant.

You started bashing some You Tube contributors and now how did you get to this?

I'm not even sure what questions you even wanted answered in the first place. But you say you have the answers now so good for you.

If you don't like someone's presentation on You Tube then don't bloody well watch it. I get the impression you only do so to ring your own bell here.

I'll bet you are a great fisherman. You must get bites all the time.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 3:01 am    

I think posts like this are a waste of space on the forum and your time. Question Oh Well

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 3:10 am    

steve takacs wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Youtube contributors; where I live the site is blocked. I have learned an immense amount from The Forum members and that includes both Bo and Stuart Legg. stevet

Steve, do things like Hotspot Shield or other VPN services work? I know at home in Kansas , my computer mostly in the UK.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 3:16 am    

I know mine aren't MEANT as instruction:
Mostly I share ideas, thoughts.
Occasionally someone will ask me what to do on a certain song, so I'll lay down some ideas.
I'm a bit too ADD to do like Mickey or Bobbe and walk through even a simple lick. I skip stuff, stammer, et cetera. But people say it's valuable.
It's certainly worth three times what you pay to see it.