The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Escalating Shipping Costs; EQUASHIP is it an Alternative?
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 7:41 pm    

This week a friend shipped a hollow body guitar from Fargo ND to NY by UPS 3 DAY SELECT and shipping was $199.75 which I felt was excessive. The package weighted 24.20 lbs. and was in a box approximately the size of a D-10 pedal steel with lots of padding inside to protect the case and guitar.
My goal was for the guitar to get there quickly in the hopes of lessening the chance of damage and it did arrive safely.

I would have used the US Post Office but the dimensions were larger than allowed. Usually I do use the US Postal System.

My questions are:
1. What cheaper alternative shipping companies have any of you found for something this size and weight?

2. Could that amount charged have been a mistake?

Any suggestions for safe but cheaper shipping would be appreciated.

I just ran across an interesting article from Oct 2011 about a company called EQUASHIP. Has anyone had any experience with it if it still exists? Here is the link:

http://postandparcel.info/42987/news/us-low-cost-parcel-service-takes-on-fedex-and-ups/

I just found another few possibilities:

http://www.thelogisticsoflogistics.com/archives/4083
Thanks, stevet

Last edited by steve takacs on 1 Aug 2015 5:14 am; edited 3 times in total

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 8:43 pm    

The prices are getting really crazy.
I shipped an 11 lb. box with 2 padded JBL PA speaker covers in it the other day - it cost me $75.00
FedEx Ground - UPS was even higher.
They went from Yuma Az to Ft Wayne Ind.

I did ask & my local shipper told me they now have to factor in the size of the box + package weight - another way to get more money from you.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 9:09 pm    

UPS has gone to "dimensional weight" now. The weight is not as important as the size of the box, unless you get into a heavy package. There are calculations you can get from UPS to help figure out what size box equals what dimensional weight. Most lap steels I send are about 10 lbs. But the box size I use brings the dimensional weight to 35 lbs.

I can ship a box to Germany via USPS for about the same price to the East Coast via UPS, maybe 15-20% more but still.
And when gas prices go down shipping rates do not follow with the private shipping outfits.

I see people rip on USPS for budgets ect. ( no need to go there), but they definitely help keep the private companies in check and counterbalance the escalating prices of UPS and FedEx. I have been using the postal system more and more, for the right type of packages ect.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 10:32 pm    

It's getting to where it will be cheaper to drive and hand deliver it. Oh Well

steve takacs

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 1:48 am     EquaShip as an alternative to Fed-EX and UPS?

Ron & Todd, it seems like "dimensional weight" is the the euphemism for "We got you."

I have been using USPS for decades, in part, because as Todd mentions it "helps keep the private companies in check and counterbalances the escalating prices of UPS and FedEx"

Richard, HAH, it might indeed be cheaper in the future deliver the package oneself.

I hope some of the Forum members will suggest some smaller or medium scale businesses we can all use to add to more competition in this shipping arena.

I just ran across an interesting article from Oct 2011 about a company called EQUASHIP. Has anyone had any experience with it if it still exists? Here is the link:

http://postandparcel.info/42987/news/us-low-cost-parcel-service-takes-on-fedex-and-ups

Ron Whitworth

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 4:53 am    

And remember this too - every time the gas prices jumped
a few years back they all added a fuel surcharge.
I never heard of that coming off so as far as I know it is still on there also.

FedEx has gone to "dimensional weight" also as Todd
has described above.
They both have the market cornered & they know it.
Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 9:11 pm    

Dimensional weight is calculated by dividing the cubic measurement of your package (l x w x h) by 166 domestic (UPS or FedEx) or by 194 (USPS). For International shipments the denominator is 139(UPS/FedEx) and 166(USPS). Basically what is being done is charging a minimum shipping fee as a box of popped popcorn that is 27 cubic feet (3 x 3 x 3) still takes up as much room in the plane or truck as a box of books that weighs much more so a flat fee is charged for the DIM weight up to the point where the actual package weight exceeds the DIM weight then things go up. I use IPS Parcel for international shipping of guitars, etc. as they seem to be substantially lower than the quoted fees of UPS/FedEx and IPS still uses those same services and offers free pickup.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 9:48 pm    

Yes, shipping prices have gone up dramatically. I am going through this also.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 12:44 am     Thanks, Jim for pricing explanation and ISP PARCEL info

Excellent, Jim. Thanks for the tip on using ISP Parcel for International shipping. This is the kind of information that will help all of us lower our shipping costs.

Now if we can get some examples other Forum members use for shipping within the US by companies that are more "customer friendly", we will be helping our small community in BIG way.

I did not catch this at first, but it can be seen from those numbers that Jim provided for the denominator used in calculations, that USPS would be cheaper than either FED-EX and UPS because the USPS number is larger. We want that bottom number of a fraction to be as big as possible.

The denominator numbers by each company are also very arbitrary are they not?

Also, wasn't the logic used by going by weight in years past by FED-EX and UPS that the heavier the load, the more costly fuel they would need? Ergo, as Ron mentions, the "fuel surcharge" was added when fuel prices went up in previous years but have not gone down now that fuel prices are lower. Now we have "dimensional weight" to go by.

Ron Whitworth

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 6:46 am    

I really believe the USPS would be less than the others.
But I have never been able to track any package I have shipped via USPS.
I had a couple of guys get mad at me for shipping packages USPS & they were not able to track them.
I understand their frustration as you never know where the package is at
until it arrives..I know I have got spoiled from UPS & FedEx because of their tracking -
at least you can see it moving..
I want to start selling down many music related gear items & most of them will probably have to be shipped.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable stateside shipper who will be able to track the progress of the package??

steve takacs

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 7:19 am    

Ron, I understand your point about USPS tracking not being up to par and some buyers being displeased. . Maybe those buyers would be willing to pick up the extra shipping charges for their preference of having tracking by FED-EX or UPS.

I've never lost anything or had anything damaged in four decades using USPS. Others may have.

Hopefully, we will get some names of companies whose tracking and prices are both excellent. stevet

Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2015 7:55 am    

The first thing is get a box and bubble wrap and pack it yourself, then get a "shipper's account" with whoever you may use and drop it off at their drop off center. DO NOT GO TO A "PACK AND SHIP" unless you have no other choice.

I just had a D10 with 8/6 shipped to me using a Pack and Ship with w/5.5K of insurance and it cost over $225.00 from Mo. to the Panhandle of Florida.

They included an itemized receipt that charged my all kinds of extra fees, just about everything except their store rent!

That company ripped me off because they knew we had no other choice.