The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith Hawaiian Cast Aluminum Lap Steel Guitars are here
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 8:32 am    

Congrats, Mike! It looks awesome. Is it lightweight?

Todd, it looks like some of them have two control knobs and some of them have just one? Is there a reason for that, or am I missing something?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 8:43 am    

My steel has concentric knobs. I really like it better, as I don't really work the knobs much in real time.

It is not a lightweight guitar....it's cast aluminum, baby! A rough guess would be about 14 lbs. That's 14 lbs of pure tone. Comfortable enough on the lap, but I could see some wanting a stand for it. I'm going to play it on my Deluxe 34 stand tonight. The only bummer is, I need to buy some more legs, as I share them with the D-10, and i don't want to put that in the case, either.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 8:56 am    

Ah yes, concentric knobs. I should have looked more closely at the picture. 14 lbs. is about what a Sierra 8 weighs.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 10:21 am    

The long scale with the Paul B. pickup is 10 lbs.

A short scale with the shoe pickup is about 9 lbs.

As Mike addressed I am supplying them with the concentric or separate Tone/Volume knob option.

The guitar in a Deluxe 34 stands sustains amazingly.It really shines in that situation. I notice how I hold this in my lap effects the tone quite a bit too.

Mike's guitar is the long scale version.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 5:04 pm    

Hey Mike, congrats on that beautiful guitar. Looking forward to some sound samples.

Lenny

Isaac Akuna

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 7:14 pm     New Clinesmith

Dammit, here I go again...I don't know what's wrong with me....
I promised that I wouldn't lust after any more guitars...
I guess it would be a lot cheaper than a girlfriend....

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 8:49 pm    

I'm one of the lucky few who's played Murph's original and this looks like a shiny new example of that historical piece of unobtainium. So I guess what inquiring minds want to know is....what's the rough order of magnitude in $$$ fer one of them puppies? (long scale,metal neck,PA pickup) Just wonderin'

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 7:36 am    

Hi Michael,
I sent you a P.M .
Here's a photo of two other Clinesmith steels based off the original design.

Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 8:29 am    

Hi Todd,
I'd like your price list too!
Nothing mentioned on your website

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 10:24 am    

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the interest. Now that I got this new instrument off the R&D bench, my website is the next in line .It has not been updated in a long time. I have many guitars I offer that are not featured there.

To possibly help show some of my latest work I just started a facebook account. I have a few of the Cast models and pricing on there. I'll send you a PM as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Thanks

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2015 3:47 pm    

Todd, I am so jonesing for one if these! Can you do a doo way effect with the concentric knobs? Thank you for all you've done for the instrument and for having the courage to put your time , creativity and money on the line to produce these new guitars.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 8:30 am    

Hi Andy,
Thank you for the comments. They are a wonderful instrument.

I personally cannot get a Doo-Ahh effect with the concentric tone pot efficiently. The sweep is there ,but the pots are a bit stiffer than the separate T/V pots I use, plus there are 1/2 stops in the concentric tone/volume pots.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 10:42 pm    

I was lucky enough to get to spend a couple of hours with two of these beauties last weekend, with the added pleasure of getting to listen to Mr. Clinesmith play them and A/B with a 30's A-22.

I'm telling you, Todd has a real winner here! To my ears the model with the "shoe" pickup sounded closest to the Rickenbacker, and the one with the blade added a big dose of the Bigsby sound. Both are really stellar sounding guitars, and the string spacing makes slants very comfortable. Just an all around joy to play. And not so bad to look at either.

Also, I'd like to second what Andy said. Todd is building so many great instruments and the steel guitar world is a better place thanks to his efforts.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 4:10 am    

I sent Don Rooke a few pics of my guitar and I love his response:

I LOVE that industrial vibe, the simplicity and strength of the design, clean, rugged. built to last for 500 years. you just know it sounds great, is stable and clean and sustains. damn.

Even with the Bigsby pickup on my guitar, there is a quality that is hard to explain which I've noticed in only the best sounding bakelite Ricks I've played. It's something that comes from the density of the neck, I believe--it's a real fatness of tone. The overtones have been harnessed to the point where only the desirable ones are audible. The end result is one of the most rich, balanced tones I've ever heard in a guitar, but it is also very much alive. If you've ever played a steel guitar that is alive like that, you can never go back.

Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 12:50 pm    

Mike's description pretty much nails it. Such eloquence. No wonder him play so good!

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 5:58 pm    

Any chance on a 10-string, Todd? I'd sign up right now!

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 9:27 am    

Russ that was fun. We'll be doing it again soon I hope.

Mike, That was well put. What you describe, is what I was trying to achieve on this build.

Stephen,
I will not be making a 10 string cast lap steel, at least I do not see it happening anytime soon. The costs for the patterns are too high for the amount of sales I would possibly get. I do make two 10 string Lap steel models tho. The Joaquin model is an excellent instrument.

Todd

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 3:25 pm    

Now, if someone could come up with a shaped hardshell case for these and the Joaquin family of steels... I know the big square wood-box style of custom case can certainly be made, but a shaped, slim, quality hardshell case would be great. I've purchased a hardshell mountain dulcimer case for my Joaquin and it works, but it's really too big in all dimensions. The Blue Heron gig bag case that came with the steel is really a good one, but as a clumsy oaf, I'd like more protection for my favorite, precious baby.

I wonder if a shaped case could be designed if enough of us owners could get together to provide enough of an order to make a run of them less than absurd cost-wise for someone to make.

This is the type of thing I finally found, and like I said, it's nice, but really too long, deep, and wide.

http://craggymtnmusic.com/hardshell-mountain-dulcimer-case/

Other suggestions for case options would be welcomed.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 6:13 pm    

Hi Jim,
As you know the Blue Heron case is very protective, high quality ,USA made and priced reasonably . I appreciate your interest in a hard shell case. I have looked into a few builders for a quality unit. A few I was dissatisfied with construction wise and the price made it very tough. Cases like Pelican are always coming out with new sizes,that I try to keep on top of. I have used these on a few D-8's I have built.
I think the case dimension of the Craggy Case #1 looks like it could work with the proper retrofitted interior.I emailed the company and asked for some interior photos. I have entertained the idea of making some cases my self, but time for this adventure is tough to come by these days. Especially with all the models I offer and parts I keep in stock.

I'll keep looking and let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Todd

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:19 pm    

Thanks, Todd. No knock on the Blue Heron, it's a great case! I'm a klutz when I'm packing the car for a gig...

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2015 5:02 pm    

Oh man...those look amazing!! I've played 3 of Todd's guitars, two of them Bob's, and they are incredible instruments.

John Boogerd

Calgary, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2015 7:10 am    

They look fabulous. I wonder if they will have the same rich tone as the Rickenbacker fry-pan I see Bobby Ingano using on Waipio (youtube). I also wonder what these will cost and if its better to get a shorter or longer version.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2015 8:18 pm    

Stephen Cowell wrote:

Stephen, I have a 10 string Clinesmith lap steel you are welcome to come over check out.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2015 4:40 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Stephen Cowell wrote:

Stephen, I have a 10 string Clinesmith lap steel you are welcome to come over check out.

Bob, between that and the Milkman stuff I'd have to say you've got plenty to check out over there! I'm definitely interested, I'll give you a call when the schedule clears.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2015 7:57 am    

John,
Both long and short scale sound great. The long scale sustains a bit more and has a bit more "body". Of course with the short scale the slants are easier. I am mostly a long scale guy, but I have enjoyed playing my short scale cast aluminum lap. You can fatten up the string gauges a bit, which gives a great feel .

One thing I have noticed with both instruments is upon picking a note, the sustained note holds it's original picked volume and presence like no other guitar I have played . The decay of the note does not fall off . It makes for the need of volume pedal to add sustain a bit less .

Also the note played on the first fret, has just as much presence as a note played below the 12th .

I have some prices listed on my facebook account. Right now I am offering these at a 12% discount for the first batch of orders. This discount is ending in about 1 week.

Please email me or PM with any questions regarding prices .