The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons R.I.P.
Clark Connell

Des Moines,Iowa USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 4:36 am    

I would like to say goodbye to a man who has been my hero, and inspiration, as well as countless others, for years and years. When I was 12 years old, my father brought home a steel guitar album for me, all that was on the cover was a picture of a man sitting at an Emmons steel guitar, looking down at it. When I played it, my entire world was changed forever. I became a lifelong Buddy Emmons fan. No player has done more to influence me, and I am grateful. Thank you, Buddy. Rest in Peace my friend.

Emmons LeGrand II Lacquer 8X8 Two Tone tan & brown, Show Pro D-10 Red Lacquer 8X8,
Show Pro D-10 8X8, red lacquer; Mullen G2 D-10 8X8 Teal,
Evans FET 500, Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Vegas 400, Webb 6-14E, Sho-Bud Amp, Profex II, Sarno Black Box, Sarno Tube Preamp, Blue Tube Preamp,MosValve 500 Power Amp, Lab Series L5 Amp, Quilter Power Block 200 Eminence PF-400 in Telonics cabs.

Rich Swiger

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 5:21 am    

I am saddened by the news of the passing of Mr Buddy Emmons. Buddy will live forever in our minds and music.
His influence is felt by all who aspire to play.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 5:31 am    

Mr. Emmons played on my first album as an artist. He was the session leader and was the absolute best! He inspired me as a steel guitar player and will continue to inspire generations to come. He IS the measure! He will be sorely missed in my household. RIP Mr. Emmons.
Here is a link with some great information about Buddie Gene Emmons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Emmons

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 5:58 am    

Buddy Emmons was the very best. He will certainly be missed here. RIP

Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 5:59 am    

Good Bye Buddy, thanks very much for all of your inspiration, you inpired a young man to pick up the steel guitar, thanks very much for your incalcuable contributions to Music.

I am extremely grateful to have seen Buddy play with the Everly Brothers some 15 yrs ago or so in CapeCod Massachusetts. At one point in the show the Everly Brothers left the stage, to let Buddy Emmons and Albert Lee tear it up. A show I will never forget.

Thanks Buddy, and may you be at peace.

Smitty

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 6:18 am    

Paul Smith wrote:
Good Bye Buddy, thanks very much for all of your inspiration, you inpired a young man to pick up the steel guitar, thanks very much for your incalcuable contributions to Music.

I am extremely grateful to have seen Buddy play with the Everly Brothers some 15 yrs ago or so in CapeCod Massachusetts. At one point in the show the Everly Brothers left the stage, to let Buddy Emmons and Albert Lee tear it up. A show I will never forget.

Thanks Buddy, and may you be at peace.

Smitty

I was at that show as well. A round theater with a slowly revolving stage as I recall. There was magic in the air when Buddy played.

I am deeply saddened by the news of his passing. His influence on the pedal steel guitar and those who play it will live forever and simply can't be overstated.

Ron Cote

Braintree, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 6:24 am     God Bless Buddy

We will all miss him, he was my mentor and inspiration and the reason I took up steel, I always said if God was a steel player his name would of been Buddy Emmons.. We have lost a great steel player. I only met and seen him play 2 times which was a great influence on me.May he rest in peace.

Ron C Sad

Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:12 am    

The dream....is over....
His inspiration lives on!

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:16 am     Remembering Buddy in UK 1986

So sad to hear about the loss of the Master , who , just about every Steel Player unknowingly wished they could sound and play like. When as a Guitarist I first took up Lap Steel a well known Jazz Tenor Sax Player told me I should listen to Buddy Emmons, so I bought his records and then bought a Pedal Steel and he became a new benchmark. His master classes are unforgettable and I am proud to have met the Big E, R.I.P. Buddy.

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:26 am    

He truly was the best, and like many others here, he was my Steel Guitar Hero. I had the pleasure and honor of meeting the great man at one of Jeff Newman's boot camps years ago.

RIP Buddy, you brought an incredible amount of joy and inspiration to more people than can be counted.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:31 am    

He will be missed but never forgotten. His music will pass the test of time and live on forever. I got to meet Buddy a few years back at the Nashville Steel show. Bobby Bowman and I went over on that Saturday to work on the Blade. I cleaned up the installation done the night before on two pickups for the steel. Got it all done and sat on the couch in Buddy's music room. He sat and played on the E9 neck. It was one of the most memorable days of my life.

Thanks for the music, Buddy. Not a day will go by that I will not hear your music in my mind

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:46 am    

Wow. Such a sad day. I dreamed of meeting him one day, though I knew time was probably running out. Now it has. I had been searching for a copy of the black album for years, just got one a few days ago....RIP Buddy.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:51 am    

Two of my steel guitar heros and now they are gone I guess Buddy got to missin a playin with Ray if only I could hear the music their Makin right now

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:58 am    

RIP Buddy Emmons, simply the greatest.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:09 am    

I do not have the words to express how Buddy's playing touched and inspired me since I was a pup ... He will always be my number one hero and all time favorite stylist.

RIP Big E,

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:13 am    

It's hard to explain to outsiders what Buddy Emmons means to steel guitarists everywhere. It isn't just that he was the world's greatest player. He showed how everything we imagine in music is possible. He redesigned the instrument itself to remove all limitations on what it could do. On record, he turned routine 3-chord country songs into sonic masterpieces. It seems to me that anything he attempted, he perfected.

Most of my own interactions with Buddy were business - I carried his courses and CDs in my online catalog. On the few occasions where we met face-to-face, I was the typical awe-struck fan. I could tell that he was used to that, and comfortable with it. I can't really say that we were friends - I didn't know him that well. But I can say that he was always honest and kind with me. He was very intelligent, a succinct writer with a wicked sense of humor.

And his steel playing, of course, was always perfect. Except for that one note. Winking

Rest in peace, Buddy. You were the best.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:32 am    

Thanks Buddy for the imagination, inspiration and dedication to the instrument.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:44 am    

b0b wrote:
It's hard to explain to outsiders what Buddy Emmons means to steel guitarists everywhere. It isn't just that he was the world's greatest player. He showed how everything we imagine in music is possible. He redesigned the instrument itself to remove all limitations on what it could do. On record, he turned routine 3-chord country songs into sonic masterpieces. It seems to me that anything he attempted, he perfected.

Bob, more than a few times in conversations with other musicians (mostly jazz horn players!) when I mentioned steel guitar, they would ask, "Have you ever heard Buddy Emmons?", and they would acknowledge him as a great musician, but more specifically as someone who could speak their language musically. His reach went far beyond just steel guitarists.

Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:53 am    

Just wanted to add my sincere condolences to a guy who contributed, IMO, the most to the invention and sound of the pedal steel guitar. I looked up to him more than any other musician I ever heard. Thank you for all your contributions to this instrument we all love so much, RIP Buddy.

cell # 812-603-1612

Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:58 am    

Buddy was one of my heroes from childhood, many MANY years before I ever even considered actually trying to play the steel - just from reading about him in many music magazines from the times. I'm just an ordinary guy, and can barely play the steel to save my life, but it was Buddy's example that allowed me to feel like I could even try, because he made everything he did look and sound so effortless and fun, and pushed boundaries some of us didn't even know were there because he went so far beyond them so easily. The grief is immense and indescribable.

Godspeed Big E. Thank you for everything you've done for all of us.

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 9:07 am    

My pedal steel guitar hero. Brilliant player, good man, great teacher, and had great technique. He revolutionised the pedal steel.

Kay

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 9:08 am    

On extremely rare occasions, an individual comes along that is so gifted with talent and so revered by his peers that he seems to ascend to a higher plain and become larger than life. They become such an integral part of our existence that we find it difficult to comprehend when they are no longer with us. As long as there are steel guitars and people who play and love them, I feel certain that Mr. Emmons will be remembered with that same reverence. The late Buddy Charlton may have said it all when he made this statement, "There will never be another Buddy Emmons!"...R.I.P.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 9:14 am    

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/6648515/buddy-emmons-steel-guitar-legend-dies-at-78
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 9:17 am    

Goodbye to the Greatest Steel Guitarist Ever! Master player, showman, and innovator.

A small sample of his work:

Four Wheel Drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug870Xo3G4o

SS Cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPEHd-2pad8

Concert and Conversation - Salute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTE-caOoq8

1997 ISGC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3pxAEdKbcE

RMckee

Broken Arrow, OK
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 10:12 am    

He was my greatest inspiration. And always so gracious to chat at steel guitar shows. And he took time to answer questions and post replies to me via this forum. Back when he was posting regularly he commented / posted to so many threads. Never condescending but kindly and with respect. So many have said much about him that will resonate with each of us. There is simply no way to measure his impact.