The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Bush's band with Frenchy Burke
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 1:59 pm    

I was watching a You Tube video of the first hit alubum Johnny Bush had out. It is the 331/3 vinyal album with the song "Undo The Right". As the songs played, on the You Tube video there were pictures of the band at that time. Extremely interesting band, no lead guitar, no piano, and no flat top guitar. Bush was just standing singing without a instrument. Dickey Overby was on steel. There were two fiddle players, one was Frenchy Burke. There was a bass player and a drummer. I would like to know the name of the other fiddle player, bass player, and drummer. All I can say is, "What a band!" I really like that instrumentation in a band. I think the only one who uses that combination now is Jody Nix from Big Spring, Texas.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 2:13 pm    

I havent seen that video and I wouldnt know anyway, but I am currently reading Johnnys book "Whiskey River" and he shows a picture of a band with Frenchie Burk and Dickie Overby and he says the other fiddle player is Ernie Reed and Bill Bowers on bass and Randy Reinhardt on piano and not pictured, Mike Watson on drums...the picture was 1969 at the Golden Stallion in San Antonio. Hope this might help...btw its a very good book...i am enjoying it a lot !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2015 7:50 pm    

I had a suspicion that was Ernie Reed on fiddle. Ernie has played for many singers. I remember when Faron young's band was drums,bass,steel and fiddle. Faron wasn't playing anything just singing. Doug Jernigan was on steel and Ernie Reed was on fiddle. Ernie Reed is still with Mel Tillis. They recently did a show in Las Vegas.

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 10:49 am    

Ernie posted that he has retired but was setting in for the week for the new fiddle play. Don't know who the new fiddler is.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 1:20 pm    

The steel player Terry Bethel also retired from the Mel Tillis band. The fiddle player that resently went to Las Vegas on the bus was Bruce Hoffman. Mark Perryman played with them when they were in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Both Hoffman and Perryman are excelent fiddle players.

Greg Stasny

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2015 7:55 pm    

In addition to Jody, several very active TX bands go the "no guitar, but twin fiddles" route.
Jake Hooker and the Outsiders (w/Rick Price on steel), the Rocky King Band, Kelly Spinks, plus others with only one fiddle.

Life (and traditional dancehall music) is alive and well in Texas.