The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Encore Volume Pedals, a question
DG Whitley

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 5:56 am    

Those of you who own the volume pedal sold by Doug Earnest, would you comment of your impressions of functionality, reliability, etc.?

Let me state that I don't doubt the quality aspect of it by any means, just want some real world input. I'd love to know how the gear feel differs from the string, if any at all. Strings and I have never had a great relationship, so the gear part interests me.

Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and comments.

Last edited by DG Whitley on 26 Jun 2015 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 4:30 pm    

Have I offended somebody with the wrong question? Over 150 looks and no reply. I guess I figured more that a few had purchased this pedal.

Thanks for looking though.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 5:28 pm    

DG I have never seen one of Doug's pedals up close or used one. I will say the 35 years ago, my pedal was a modified WAH pedal with the guts removed. It had a "gear & rack" drive in it. I liked it, and it was easy to adjust the pot travel as to minimum and maximum.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 5:30 pm    

I have sold about three hundred or so of them, you would think someone would reply.

Please, don't hesitate to comment be it good or bad. You won't offend me. They are not the ultimate volume pedal but for a hundred dollar bill they are pretty hard to beat.

I have had a very few returned and that's fine, everyone doesn't like the same thing. If you buy one and just plain don't like it you can return it within a week, all you are out is the shipping which amounts to twenty dollars total.

We had some bugs with the first few but seem to have them worked out. There were some hum issues that required additional grounding to correct, and we also found that we needed to check the pots better than we were at first. We use the "two sets of ears" method now.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 5:42 pm    

Doug, does your pedal have a mechanical system like the Dunlop Cry Baby? (gear on pot, move by a rack attached to the top half of the pedal)

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 6:00 pm    

That is exactly how it works Scott. I couldn't see using a string and spool, although admittedly that arrangement does feel a wee bit better. That little bit of difference in feel is not what makes my playing sound poor.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 6:07 pm    

I liked the gear and rack better. I've been chasing my tail with a Goodrich with a Dunlop 470K. It's slipped or something.

Donnie Pierce

Windsor, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 6:30 pm     Gear Drive

DG,
I played a DeArmond Pot Pedal for Years, It was gear driven. I Changed the pot Once or Twice in 20+ Years, Just for scrachy pots. Never had a problem with the Gear drive in it. Great feel to the pedal to me. I think you will like it in a pot pedal...
I now have a Hilton Pedal, it is just a different Animal.
Black Box,Wet Reverb

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 6:48 pm    

Doug, thank you for dropping in with your comments, much appreciated.

I'll be in touch with you early next week, sounds like a low risk deal to me. As I stated earlier, strings and I just have an issue, and I'm sure it's my fault, so time to try something else.

Thank you all for your input on this.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 9:02 pm    

DG,

I have one of Doug's volume pedals and it works just fine. It was one of the early ones and the POT had an issue but Doug had me send it back and he fixed it, no questions asked.

I bought it to try something more low profile but I found I was too used to my sho-bud volume pedal and eventually went back to using it but only for my own comfort and what I was used to, Doug's pedal works as expected.

I still have Doug's pedal, it just hangs out in my extra seat. If you want to buy a used one, PM me, it isn't doing me any good not being used.

Andy

Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2015 3:08 am     Stage One VP

Sorry for late reply DG,

When I started playing PSG two years ago I used a Fender Volume/Tone Pedal which had the string type mechanism. I was happy enough with the mechanism but the profile was a little high for me and it did “tone suck” a lot.

I’ve been using Doug’s Stage One VP for over a year now and I’m very pleased with it. There is no “tone suck” as far as I can tell from testing with or without the pedal. It’s very light but it feels solid and I’ve had no issues whatsoever with the pedal either electrical or mechanical. The pedal has a low profile (2 5/8” from rubber feet to closed position) and the action of the gear and rack is very smooth. I adjusted mine to get a slightly stiffer feel.

One mod I added to the pedal is a Tone pot to give me a little more control over my sound. I run two other instruments through the same amp so being able to adjust my Encore’s tone at source is helpful.

Btw, they are great value, when the Euro/USD exchange rate improves I will order another from Doug as backup.
All the best,
Michael.
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 27 Jun 2015 4:38 pm     corrected fro spellign

I'm happy enough with my old Fender Volume pedal, but the profile is a little high. I can't wear my cowboy boots because of that and I like playing in boots.

If I start playing shows where my boots will be appreciated, I will not hesitate to get a Stage One low profile volume pedal. I'd like to try the feel of that gear mechanism.
If its similar to feel of the DeArmond 1602 , that's great. I liked the feel of the one I tried quite a bit.

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 11:49 am    

I bought one of Doug's foot pedals a year ago January. I love it. It is light but stays in place and have never had any issues with it. Anybody want to buy a Hilton foot pedal lightly used?

Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 9:27 am    

I bought one used (along with a used Stage One), and it works great. There is a spot when you're at about half-volume that produces a fair amount of hum - it disappears when the toe is all the way down. Might be one of the older ones with the grounding issue. Otherwise, it's very smooth, and the taper rate is a vast improvement over the Morley Little Alligator I had been using.

Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 9:28 am    

I bought one used (along with a used Stage One), and it works great. There is a spot when you're at about half-volume that produces a fair amount of hum - it disappears when the toe is all the way down. Might be one of the older ones with the grounding issue. Otherwise, it's very smooth, and the taper rate is a vast improvement over the Morley Little AlligatorI had been using.