The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carroll Benoit's last show in Dallas
Larry Tresnicky

Grapevine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 7:22 pm    

I was happy to see Carroll & Anita Benoit at the TSGA show this past week. He had some spectacular guitars on display I really was amazed at the Guitar/Harp. I'll try to send a picture.
Thanks for the memories Carroll & Anita, 15 fantastic years. Larry

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 6:27 am    

I had some great jams and heard some great music courtesy Mr. Benoit and his family. A few years back, Mike Auldridge sat and jammed for a couple of hours. I wish him well in retirement. Thanks for all the great music!

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 7:43 am    

His workmanship is as fine as it comes. Every instrument is a work of art, he will be greatly missed.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 2:19 pm    

My first choice for a resonator would be a Benoit.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 2:26 pm    

Here's an interesting video. I love the mandolin version of the guitar harp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pawgzVGC9-4

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 5:17 pm     Carroll Benoit

I have had the pleasure of knowing and visiting with Carroll for many years. He lives about a 15 minute drive from my home in Orange, Texas. He Showed me the plans for his harp guitar sometime last year and said this may be his last trip to Dallas. I want people to know that Carroll and Anita are two of the finest people you will ever meet and the TSGA is going to miss the Benoit room and their presence in it. Carroll is a master craftsman at guitar and resonator guitar building. The harp and harp guitar he built were his personal challenges and I believe he has certainly proven he can build almost any kind of musical instrument. I have tried to talk him into taking a shot at steel guitars but to no avail. Hopefully Carroll will get back into singing and playing guitar again because I know how much he enjoyed that as well. Best wishes to Carroll on his journey from the showroom to the living room.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 5:31 pm    

I can only echo what has already been said about the quality of Anita and Carroll as people and the quality of the instruments that have been found in the Benoit Room over the years. I also owe Carroll and Anita a vote of thanks for a whole lot of personal encouragement I received from them to pursue the music I really wanted to play.

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 6:41 am    

Ditto to what Bob said. I could not, possibly explain with words just how special they are, and how much they hmean to me. The Benoit room, for me, has always felt like a family reunion. I have so many wonderful memories, met so many innteresting people, and made many friends over the years, all thanks to them. Without their encouragement, and sometimes a good kick in the butt, I would not be out playing, and singing, something I've always loved to do, but never thought I could.
Larry, I also want to thank you and Phyllis, for all your encouragement too.

Larry Tresnicky

Grapevine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 7:30 am    

If you missed Thurs. nite jam, Kristyn Harris 2014 Western Music Assoc. Female Performer of the Year packed the room along with Rocky Gribble of Grapevine Opry fame. Here is a pic of them with Carroll & Anita.

Wally Davis

Belleville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2015 12:02 pm    

I agree with everyone. Carroll and Anita are just wonderful. I am so fortunate and honored to have one of his amazing guitars. And "Hello" to you and yours Larry.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 9:19 am    

Of course, as an old pal of the Benoits, I echo everything previously said, especially Doug Childress' contribution. The TSGA will assuredly miss the presence and the spirit of Carroll and Anita.

Carroll building a steel guitar body... and it would be among the most beautiful cabinets ever... would be a task seriously below his pay grade. The steel guitar body is basically three to five boards of maple joined and made to look pretty. The skill Carroll has in building acoustic instruments of all kinds goes FAR beyond what's required to make a steel cabinet. The beauty of his instruments is breathtaking, both visually and acoustically.

I would say that if Carroll Benoit built a steel body in the style of the old Sho~Bud wraparound cabinet, that would be an incredible instrument to own. Hmmm... something to think about. Wink

Another amazing artist with wood, Mark Giles, is of a similar caliber. Although Mark has made 3000 steel guitar cabinets, he also builds beautiful flat top guitars in the Dreadnaught style, arch-top orchestra-style guitars, as well as the classical guitar Johnny Bush now plays onstage.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 5:41 am    

Well, Herb, you have me thinking, and, you know, what happens when I start thinking. lol.

I just happen to have a piece of cherry wood, Charlie Norris gave me. He had been saving it for who knows how long. He had planned on having a psg built out of it. It is already cut. I wonder?
If I take it to Carroll, the next time I go to visit...hmmm... Could he resist the challenge?

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 1:40 pm    

I've not been around much (due to taking care of my 91 year old mother with dementia)and missed this thread.....but as they say, better late then never...

I missed last year's show and was eager to get back this year....it was bittersweet for me knowing that it was Carroll & Anita's last year.....

The Benoit room has been legendary in terms of music and good will....a home base to return to....kind of like returning to the country after being in the city...

There was always music going on and a parade of musicians coming and going.....you never knew who would be there at any given time....Mike Auldridge, Maurice Anderson, Randy Beavers, Mike Auldridge jamming with Randy Beavers, Gerald Ross and Mike Auldridge (which should have been a CD) just guitar and dobro, Eddie Ortego and many relatively unknown players who would astound you.....you never knew what other instrument(s) Carroll would show up with that would be a work of art......

Working with Carroll over the years has been an experience that I doubt will ever be repeated....we tackled themes, came up with original ideas, combined practical building with aesthetics, and made fantasies come true....the word "no" never seemed to be in his vocabulary.....and a finer gentleman and lady such as Carroll & Anita I don't think exists.....I consider them family....

Sunday was a sad day....I could barely speak after we loaded up their van to be on their way....and I wasn't the only one.....well, we had a good run of years and got to say goodbye to an era which is a gift.....and I'm so grateful for that......