The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions and suggestions for an alternate E9th setup
Mac Knowles

Almonte,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2015 11:20 am    

Hi folks...
Just thought I'd throw this out for some suggestions. I've tried lots of setups on my "experimental" steel but am always on the search for something different it seems. I build only 3 up/3down double changer guitars and this is a 10 string with 5 floor and 4 knee levers. The open tuning is (high to low) F#,G#,E,B,G#,F#,E,D,B,E. I want to keep it this way....don't want C#'s in there and want to keep the D. I've got my A & B pedals and my E-Eb lever for playing pretty much all the country stuff I need to. However I'd love some suggestions what to do with the other 3 pedals and 3 levers to get some nice C6th (E6th) chords and other good stuff for playing jazz etc. I know there's lots of stuff out there like the Zane King tuning, Jet10, etc. What say ya'll.
Thanks, Mac

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2015 6:32 pm    

I don't see where you mentioned an F lever and an X pedal/lever ( with AB down lowers (5)C#->C ) Those are very Nashville pulls. With A+F engaged, you can release F, lower Es and reverse that for what the A pedal does for AB.

A+F is just darned handy.

Borrowing from U12:

A B6 6 pedal ( with E lowers ) would raise (4)D#->E and lower (8\)D#->D. You already have a D string, but the bend is part of the C6 sound.

A B6 5 pedal would raise (1)F#->G and lower (7)F#->F ( the other two pulls are on strings 11 & 12 of a U12, which you lack )

7 pedal raises (5)B->C# (4)E->F#

I could play 90% or more of what I play with those pulls on a 10 string.

Edit - removed smiley.

Mac Knowles

Almonte,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2015 5:01 pm    

Thanks for the really useful information. I'll try these changes soon as I get a chance.
Thanks again,
Mac

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 1:42 pm     10 string universal, almost

I have been using a 10 string with 5 pedals & 5 knees, from the top F#, C#, G#, E, B, G#, F#, E , B, E.
I put the E to F# change on a RR lever & half stop it for the F note. I put the C6 pedal 5, there. Then pedal 4 does my Eb back to E & lower my 8th E to a D,
my 5th pedal Is the same as the old pedal 7 on C6 taking B & G# up together. The A&B remain the same as alway. Hold the lever that lowers E's to Eb & you get a nice, but short version of the B6th tuning. I use the low E for playing, things like rhythm & Johnny Cash type rhythms. Its pretty cool. I can still play all my B6th instrumentals & get away with out the BOO-Wha pedal. My up lever lowers B's to Bb, RL raises #1 F# to G# & lowers 6th G# to F#. Left right lever raises the 9th string B up to a D note when I need it, and brings the 2nd string up to a D & Eb when needed in E9th tuning. I love this tuning & have been playing it now for several years.

Ernie no email phone 301-264=4172 call to talk to me if you like, but not after 10pm eastern time.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 4:08 pm     Alt Ext E9

Here's one that works for all kinds of music.....Larry Very Happy

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 5:29 am    

Our man bOb uses a really interesting copedant over 8-strings that I can't recall off the top of my head, but he gets some really great chords and changes from his rig. Check out his music if you get a chance and you'll hear what I mean.

https://soundcloud.com/b0b/sets/wine-country-swing/