The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info Re: Keyless Tuners
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 9:43 am    

Since I posted my intentions to start making my keyless lap steels again,,,and making my keyless tuners available to DIY'ers,,,I've been inundated with "requests" for tuners,,,with individual specifications. Actually what I am doing is, when I make a part for my guitars, it is just as easy to make 2-3 JUST LIKE the one I make for myself. The things I make for my own use, WORK FOR ME,,,the same piece may or may not work for someone else,,,depending on their ability and the specific application. As I said earlier, I use to use a polished aluminum housing,,,and still could on a specific guitar,,,but I primarily build a wood housing around the fingers, especially on a natural wood guitar,,,but COULD also on a painted guitar. In other words, the things I make are what works for me,,,and my application. I don't have a machine shop,,,just use very basic equipment. Below are examples of the tuning fingers I use,,,and an example of the application. These are 5/16" spacing AT THE NUT (standard spacing at the bridge). I will be making some guitars with 3/8" spacing at the nut,,,and for those I will make fingers that are 3/8" OR,,, use a special little .025 alum spacer between each finger that will give me ALMOST 3/8" spacing. I will be more than happy to provide anything I can to DO IT YOURSELFer's,,,,and discuss by phone or email (not forum PMs) how to's or whatever.

I will be more than happy to build anyone the guitar they want. I'm retired, not doing this for a living and can probably build one cheaper than someone trying to put the parts and material together for it. If you need a guitar (or the parts I use), let's talk,,,,email ( sojen1 at gmail dot com ) or phone.