The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LKR question
Gary Mortensen

Elgin, TX
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 4:18 pm    

I've acquired a D10 which seems to be in a standard Emmons setup except for the LKR, which lowers strings 2 (a whole step) and 9 (a half step) to Db. The LKR doesn't affect the E strings, 4 & 8.
Is this a common configuration, do I want to stay with it? I'm new to PS and am inclined to a very "normal" setup as a starting point.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 4:26 pm    

How many knees are on the guitar?
That's a standard change, and I've seen it there before.
BTW, since the key of E has 4 sharps, it hurts the brain to call that note Db. C# is the general term.

Jeff Triplett

Virginia Beach, VA
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 4:39 pm    

Had the same question as Lane. Also, do you have a lever that lowers the E's and where is it located? I have the change you have on a GFI but it is on the RKR.

Gary Mortensen

Elgin, TX
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 4:45 pm    

"it hurts the brain to call that note Db. C# is the general term."
Good point!
The steel has five levers, the RKL lowers the two E strings to Eb, I mean, D#! The RKR raises the 1st string F# to G# and lowers the 6th string G# to F#.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 4:58 pm    

Because the E lowers work with the 6th string lower, I wouldn't want them on the same knee.
As you're new to the pedal steel, I would urge you to disregard what I just said. That setup is not out of line, and is workable.
I have long held that NO copedent change should happen until you can provide a clear answer to the following:
1) what will I give up, and do I know I won't miss it?
2) do I have specific uses for the new change in mind?
3) dangit, I'm supposed to be sleeping and I am sleepy, and I've forgotten 3.

Lloyd Green once told a student who was always trying new changes "If you'd spent as much time on top of the guitar as you have underneath, you'd be playing a lot better by now."

John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 5:36 pm    

Gary, to answer your question, that's a pretty standard change. Normally it's set up so that you move the knee lever to a certain point and string 2 is lowered by a half step to D natural while string 9 hasn't changed (yet). At that point, the lowering of string 9 kicks in, and if you press the knee lever all the way to its stop you have C# on both strings 2 and 9. You can feel the additional resistance when the lower of string 9 kicks in, and that creates a half stop (or "feel stop"), making it easier to move the lever just halfway so that string 2 is at D and string 9 is also still at D.

The D on string 2 is very useful as a scale note when using the pedals-down root position. As an example, let's say you're playing in the key of C. You can get your C chord (i.e., the 1 chord) at fret 3 with pedals A and B pressed. Now if you try to find the notes of the C major scale in that position, you'll see that string 2 does not fit into the scale. But if you lower it a half step (to F at fret 3) then it is the 4th note of the C major scale.

The same note is also useful sometimes as a flatted 7 for the no-pedals major chord. For example, still at fret 3, with no pedals you get a G major chord. String 2, dropped a half step, give you the F note, which is the flatted 7 of the G chord.

John

Gary Mortensen

Elgin, TX
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 7:08 am    

Thanks to all who have replied, I do appreciate it!
I'm certainly not going to change anything, at this point. In fact, this lovely instrument is not going to get much attention for some time, while my house is a demolition zone.
But, someday...