The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommendations for 6 string Lap steel in $400.00 Range
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 12:02 pm    

I don't know squat about electric anything with strings and am considering obtaining a 6 string lap steel in the $400.00 range - I play only in open "D" & "G" and am to old to learn about other tunings at this point - I know only that I prefer the warm tone of humbuckers as opposed to P90's - Due to reasons I won't mention I no longer have the abilities to buy one and then make changes or upgrades - I would appreciate any comments and photos you experts wish to provide - I prefer not to buy from EBay and stick with honest forum members or reliable retail sources - I Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and assistance in advance Smile - Dennis Brooker

If you wish to email me personally please do so at dbrooker1(AT)Windstream.net

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 12:42 pm    

Dennis, here are a few vintage steels (one under, the other just a little above your your price range) at Gryphon in Palo Alto, CA - a very reputable dealer:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/45480/index.php

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/34507/index.php

Anderwood in England has a humbucker-equipoed new electric lap steel for US $$422.63 at today's exchange rate according to Google's calculator.

http://www.anderwoodguitars.com/products_electric_lap_steel_weissenborn.php

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 19 May 2015 3:39 pm    

There are plenty of guitars in that price range currently available from dealers and private parties. You'll have to be a bit patient, but keep looking in the For Sale: Steel Guitars section of this forum.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2015 5:45 pm    

The best $400 you could spend.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=283470[/url]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 6:24 am    

I was on the way home and decided to swing by Gryphon to check out the Silvertone lap steel that Andy mentioned. I played it through a couple of small amps (a Fender Vibro Champ and a Gretsch G5222). I think it's a good deal.

The pickup sounds nice. These pickups can give you a very "Hawaiian" sound when you turn down the treble, but still have a lot of bite when the treble is wide open. I didn't try it with any effects, but it's a clear enough signal that any pedal you use for coloring the sound will sound good with it (in my opinion). It was not a noisy pickup at all, through either amp.

You get a good range of tones from manipulating the tone control (bass side of the pickup). The volume and tone controls are not scratchy. The only issue I saw with it (and it's a very minor issue) is that the previous owner numbered the frets from 1-13 with green nail polish or something. The numbers are very small and do not detract from the overall condition of the lap steel.

The tuners are in great shape and turn without binding. The finish appears to be original and in good condition overall. I did not see the chipboard case, but I expect it will be as good as Gryphon says it is.

Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 7:13 am    

MANY THANKS to everyone including the guys that have contacted me off list - Got to do some serious thinking Confused - Dennis Brooker

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 11:34 am    

For about $500, you can get an Asher Junior Hawaiian, a fine guitar from a fine maker. http://www.asherguitars.com/.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 1:41 pm     Re: Recommendations for 6 string Lap steel in $400.00 Range

Dennis Brooker wrote:
I prefer not to buy from EBay and stick with honest forum members or reliable retail sources

I am into postwar Gibson lap steels and have purchased several of them over the last year or so from eBay sellers and have not had a single bad experience. The average price was $379.62, with a low of $153.02 for a '57 Ultratone and a high of $586.61 for a '46-'47 BR-4.

I fully expect to replace tuner buttons if they're original; no big whoop after you've done it a few times. In the worst case scenario, nearly identical replacement tuner sets are available from Kluson and Gotoh (my personal favorites) and probably elsewhere.

Most lap steels are easy to whip into playing shape. The electronics are relatively simple and straightforward: usually only one pickup, two (sometimes three) potentiometers, and one (sometimes two) resistors, and an output jack. Replacement pickups are readily available.

As long as you know what you're after, do some research of the current market, and purchase only from sellers with 100% positive feedback numbers who also accept returns, there are some great lap steel bargains available on eBay.