The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dekley mechanical questions..
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2015 12:50 pm    

So, I have one on the way, a nice Dekley S10 w/3&4, soon to be 5 and 4... Mike Yahl has pedals.. [I HOPE!!]..
anyway, I owned a Dekley decades ago when these guitars we first being made.. Around 78 I think.. If I am not mistaken, it was almost identical to the MSA guitars of the era, including the 5/16 round shafts.. I have a bunch of MSA parts, and would probably rather use them up on the 2 pedals I am going to install, both of which will only be pulling 1 string.. any issues?.. Its just going to be cheaper .. Also have a bunch of NOS Marlen pull parts that use a 5/16 round shaft as well.. This is all good, unused, solid stuff that will probably go to waste, as I am getting old, and am not sure how many more old steels I will be "reconfiguring"..
This one has the pedal quick connect on TOP of the pedal, not on the side, like later Dekleys do... Should I simply use side connect pedals if thats all i can get?.. I think mike has both types, but not sure if he has any left.. Any way, Its been decades since I worked on a Dekley, but unless I am way off base, it was almost exactly the same as the MSA... If I am wrong please let me know, and any other advice is welcomed.. Guitar has a reissue 705 installed.. Not sure I will stay with it... Any pickup advice???... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 4 Apr 2015 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2015 6:46 pm    

I don't think the Dekley is a collector guitar, so I think MSA parts or wrong year Dekley parts wouldn't hurt the value. I'd make it make you happy.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 3:39 am    

not really worried about collectability at all.. More concerned about fit, clearance issues etc,,, Just thought maybe someone has done some work on a Dekley recently.. I'll find out soon enough I guess..bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 4 Apr 2015 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2015 8:13 am    

Bob, you are correct. The bellcranks are interchangeable. There is a small difference in length in the brass puller barrels...Dekley's are slightly longer, but are same size otherwise. You should not have any problems with them fitting the shafts.

As far as foot pedals, I've never looked into whether they are interchangeable...but I do like the MSA pedals better.

Good luck with the changes.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2015 3:41 pm    

FYI, Dekley and MSA used 3/8" cross shafts. The Emmons P/P and probably your Marlen use 5/16" shafts.

Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 10:37 am     Cross Shafts

Bob-

Careful! Don't use anything but the Dekley cross shafts with the steel rib running along its' length. If you use a plain cross shaft with no rib, the bellcrank WILL rotate sooner or later - probably sooner - and your tuning will be shot. I know - some people have used the plain cross shafts but with a modicum of success. Save yourself the aggravation!

Richard

Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 2:34 pm     deckley with msa parts

there is nothing to be concerned about with bell cranks and stops slipping if you tighten the enough. I have owned many msa guitars and sierra's with round shafts. If you do have one to slip, its an easy fix widen the gap in bell crank a little bit and retighten. You can find 3/8 ss slick rod at fastenall. Much easier than trying to locate ones with a flat side.

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 2:47 pm     Shaft

You can find SS shafting at McMaster/Carr that has a flat already ground on the shaft , it's called a " D shaft".

Phillip Ogle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 2:57 pm     deckley with msa parts

there is nothing to be concerned about with bell cranks and stops slipping if you tighten the enough. I have owned many msa guitars and sierra's with round shafts. If you do have one to slip, its an easy fix widen the gap in bell crank a little bit and retighten. You can find 3/8 ss slick rod at fastenall. Much easier than trying to locate ones with a flat side.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 4:40 am    

But do... where possible... replace the #6 socket head set screws in the bellcranks with #6 socket head cap screws. allows for increased tightening torque and easier to get (larger) hex key on..