The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lenny Breau,Ron Halldorson,Jim Pirie, WOW!!
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 3:09 pm    

No it's not steel but Ron Halldorson IS one of the best pure Jazz steel guitarists I have ever heard. Here are Ron,Jim, and the great Lenny in an incredible guitar trio setting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNKFIcbc6LM&feature=related

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 7:09 pm     Three Guitarists

I just talked with Ron Halldorson last week. My parents (my dad's a fine guitarist)are back in Winnipeg, Canada on vacation so a bunch of their old band musicians are getting together at Wayne Link's (Lincoln Steel Guitars)this Wednesday for a jam...wish I could be there! The great Ron Halldorson (my main inspiration for learning the steel)will be there also.

My parents spent the afternoon yesterday with Lenny Breau's first wife, Valerie, who just completed a new book called "Memories." It is about her and Lenny's life together. They are sending a copy to me...should be interesting! I still remember as a little kid the time Lenny and Val lived with us for awhile. My dad has old reel to reel recordings of Lenny and my dad playing guitar all hours of the night in the living room.

We all knew Lenny was a guitar genius and left this world far too soon (found dead in his LA swimming pool in '84 if I remember). Their son -- Chet Breau -- is a terrific guitarist in his own right and still living in Winnipeg, Canada teaching guitar and playing in jazz bands. Chet has a CD instrumental.

By the way, I have a couple old cassettes of Ron Halldorson's incredible CBC public radio sessions from back in the early '80's that is just incredible! His arrangements of "Midnight at the Oasis"..."Never My Love"..."Linkon Strut" (you'd think it was a fast picking Lloyd Green tune) and other pop songs is the best.

The other cassette if of the jazz sessions produced by CBC Radio. So sad, the masters are sitting in a CBC vault in Winnipeg, Canada...trust me...if Ron could ever release them they would be considered very refreshing and creative some 25-30 years later. By the way, Halldorson is equally at home on guitar and bass (was the bassist on Lenny Breau's first two classic albums).

Jim Pirie...another great arranger guitarist who left Winnipeg for Toronto years ago for a very successful session-producer career.

Better not rattle on anymore...great memories of some of the world's greatest players!

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 3:39 pm    

Oh yeah, thanks for that!!!! Have you guys read the biography One Long Tune about Lenny?? I just finished reading it, a totally nice book and offers a good coverage of Lenny's work and peers in the 60's in Canada, including Jim Pirie and Ron Halldorson. I also ordered at the same time ( Amazon) the cd's of Lenny's early 60's solo recordings that were never released until few years ago. Just thinking he was only like 19 when he recorded them, wow, there never was and hasn't been anything quite like Lenny, nothing to take away from Jim and Ron of course!!

Terry H Sutton

Vernon, Connecticutt, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 11:42 am    

Being originally from Quebec I used to see Lenny playing with his parents Lone Pine and Betty Cody when he was twelve years old, at fourteen he had a half hour television show all by himself sitting on a stool and just playing guitar on CHLT channel seven in Sherbrooke Quebec.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 1:21 pm    

Whoa, Yeah!

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 5 May 2015 8:53 pm    

....still luv this stufff...great players!

Anne Giroux

Pincourt, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2015 8:10 pm    

Enjoyed your post Bill. Brought back some wonderful memories when I used to watch the most enjoyable CBC show with Ron,Lenny & Jim. I think Ray St. Germaine was the host. I too heard the Ron Haldorson radio show where he played Coltrane stuff. Wow Ron is such a talent on whatever he plays. I met him in Winnipeg playing steel years ago and he blew me away. Thanks for posting. Most appreciated.

Anne Giroux

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 3:35 pm    

isnt halldorson the bass player on lenny breau's live recording...the velvet touch??

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 4:41 pm    

Ann; are you related to Lou? I was taught by Ron Dann and Lou was mentioned regularly by him. I traded a black Sho-Bus Pro 3 to Ron for a D-10 MSA and I think the gtr. Went to Lou through Ron...hello if so!

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 7:56 pm    

Again...Ron is a great Steel Guitarist too!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 12 May 2015 8:51 pm    

Sorry to change the topic Frank, Ron is a world class musician on anything. I worked with artists from Winnipeg who had Ron on their records and always enjoyed learning his parts. I was familiar with his bass playing and this clip was my first time seeing him on guitar. Quite frankly I love to see any Canadian Steel player get recognition for their efforts which is what drew my attention to this post in the first place, thanks!

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 13 May 2015 7:46 pm    

Frank, thanks for posting this. Great guitar playing, also, what a great arrangement! There was a Ted Greene seminar video on the right side of this Youtube video that I clicked on that is a very interesting instructional video. It was like a bonus, watching that great performance of Lenny Breau, Jim Pirie and Ron Halldorson and then finding the Ted Greene video also.

Anne Giroux

Pincourt, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2015 9:24 am    

Hi Mike. Yes I am Lou Giroux's wife & it was Ron Dann that introduced us. Small world. In fact when I first heard Lou I was ready to hang in the towel. Another great Canadian talent. Just ask Jerry Fessenden.

Anne Giroux

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 14 May 2015 12:32 pm    

Hi Anne; nice to meet you, Ron Dann spoke highly of Lou & Neil Flanz, I'm very aware of their musical influence on him & Ron's teachings to me are still in effect so many years after his passing.It is a small world!

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2017 1:19 pm    

Bump for a great talent.