The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blackie Taylor
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 12:21 am    

This is to let everybody know that Blackie is still alive, and still in business. He is a GFI dealer (and yes, Gene's family has taken over the company and they are is still making steel guitars,) and he has a selection of used steel in stock.

We all love Jim P. with good reason. but Blackie has been doing the same thing for over 50 years. Let's not forget him.

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 6:25 am    

That's,right Mike,Ive bought from both these gentlemen,both great people,nice to have two steel guitar shops in California,looking out for our musical needs.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 9:02 am    

Thank you for the update. I spoke to him a few months ago and he said he had a stroke that was slowing him down but he was still doing OK "for a old guy".
I guess most West Coast guys have memories of Blackie, however I was a 16 year old kid that just got his drivers license when I went down the 605 freeway to Hawaiian Gardens and heard Maurice Anderson play at Blackie's Shop. The bass player was a funny guy wearing a bowler hat named Buddy something. Totally blew my teenage mind. I took some lessons from Blackie. When I graduated from High School my folks gave me choice-a car or a D-10. I went for the steel and will never forget the day I drove down to his shop and picked up a beautiful blond Pro III. I was playing it out on the road within 4 months so I didn't need a car anyway.
Best wishes to a living Southern Cal legend.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 9:41 am    

Good to hear a update on Blackie. Blackie and his daughter are dear friends.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 4:04 pm    

I met Blackie in Tempe, AZ at a Steel Jam. I enjoyed talking with him back in 2006.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 4:48 pm    

I saw Al Petty demonstrate his 21 pedal D-12 Sierra at Blackie's shop. He had an E9/B6 universal on one neck, and another tuning oh his own invention on the other. Our fellow forumite Jerry Hayes was also there

Later, he had a Sierra S-10 with the same toe and heel pedals in the shop, which I tried out. He also had one of those rare Fender PS 210 gearless guitars that Gene Fields invented.

Once, somewhere around 1981, I called Blackie and made an appointment for a lesson. Blackie assumed that I wanted him to teach me how to play, but when I arrived at his shop I asked him to "teach me how to take this thing apart."

Mark Lawrence

Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 3:19 am    

Mike, I was there as well.

Here's Blackie and myself at the ISGC A few years ago.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 7:20 am    

I'm proud to call Blackie my friend and he was my first steel teacher when he was in Hawaiian Gardens in the 70's.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 8:32 am    

Now Blackie is a great friend & that OFay shadow that goes with him is cool too! He is a Legend Steel Guitarist in Southern California and I am proud of him.Thanks for the many years of friendship Mr.Taylor.Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr. Winking

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 9:35 am    

Great to hear Blackie is still earthbound.

I got my first psg lesson from Mr. Taylor.

I drove way out to his shop from Oceanside, he asked me where's my guitar, I told him I don't have one.

So Blackie proceeds to teach me on a universal.

I video taped the entire session.

My first psg, years later, a Bud 10 string came from Blackie's store through Hank Mann.

Blackie showed me photos of he and Gene of GFI on his shop wall.

Jim P. did fantastic work on my Bud at his shop in Oceanside.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 26 Apr 2015 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 10:56 am    

Where is Blackie these days?

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 11:03 am    

I believe he is in Rubidoux, CA which is near Riverside. Unless he moved recently. Mission Blvd.

Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 8:30 pm    

Yes, Blackie is still on Mission Blvd in Rudidoux. I have spent many afternoons chatting with him. He has told me all about the good ol days here in So Cal. I have to go see him, as its been awhile.

Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 11:28 am    

iam so happy to hear blackie is doing fine since my eye accident I haven't been able to go see him I always ty
ried to see him at least once a month I will go see him before long

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 12:11 pm    

Blackie was best man at my wedding nine years ago
a good friend a a real gentleman.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2015 7:52 am    

Amen to that Steve, Blackie is a Tokie O Ernie! What History he has as a Musician. Arrow

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2015 6:41 pm    

I owe my start on pedal steel thanks to Blackie Taylor, I took lessons in 1974 at his Hawaiian Garden store. I heard some seasoned player tearing it up there, wish I knew who that was, didn't catch or remember his name, but it was the first time I saw someone "nose-tipping" the bar and playing super clean lines on C6. Blew my mind.

Blackie taught me lots of great chord positions, which helped me become a pretty strong 6th-style player on E9. Ah, that Hank Williams songbook...which I still have!

Heal well, Blackie!

Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2015 9:48 am    

i also got my first lessons from blackie in H. G......i think i did a jeff newman seminar ..at blackies...saw Maurice Anderson ..1st time i went the sign in the window said ...blackie taylors steel guitar capitol of the world.....and t v repair.....does anybody else remember that..or m i loosing it

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 7 May 2015 10:24 am    

You are not losing it at all. I remember Blackie doing TV repair also. The shop was in a strip mall in H.G., I'm sure there were more broken TV's than potential PSG buyers/students, so had to have something else bringing in the bacon. Even though I was just a kid he was kind to me and answered my questions. A great gentleman.

Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2015 11:40 am    

when i saw it......i thought maybe the steel guitar is where the big money is lol...also when i went in the store for the first time.....he was working on a honda dream motorcycle.... i had quite a yuck on the way back home

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2015 12:59 pm    

I bought a lot of stuff from Blackie when I lived in LA. A great guy! Every time I'd drop in, he'd give me some great playing tips.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 7:56 am    

Mike, thanks for keeping my old friend Blackie Taylor out in front for all to see. I first met him back in the sixties before he was in the Hawaiian Gardens store. He had a smaller place out on Lincoln Ave. on the north side and I hadn't been in town long and he sold me an amp on credit. It was one of those old Standels with the 15" JBL speaker and no reverb. Blackie was always good at extending credit to working musicians and even some that were unemployed.... Of course he got burned from time to time but he always recovered...

About 35 years ago or so I was working at Shire's on Beach Blvd. in Stanton, Ca. The club closed for a couple of weeks for remodeling and when we opened back up the burglar alarm hadn't been re-installed when we played that Tuesday night. During the night someone broke into the club and stole my Randall Commander II amp along with the guitar player's (Bobby Clayton)amp and guitar and other musical things as well. Anyway, Blackie heard about it and brought me a couple of amps to try out and I wound up buying a Barcus-Berry amp from him which he sold me on credit of course...

Blackie and I have seen each other through four or five wives each and we're both still alive and kicking... He's a jewel of a guy and one of those folks who I can see every 5 or 6 years and it's just like I'd just seen him the day before.... I have a picture of me playing bass with Buddy Emmons at his Hawaiian Gardens store when the Big E, Dave Musgrave and Shot Jackson appeared there........JH in Va.

Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 8:11 am    

Saw Blackie play the last gig ever at Price's Foothill Club in Long Beach. (hope I got that right...)

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 2:33 pm    

Jerry, I was at Blackie's HG store for that show with Buddy, Dave & Shot. It was the 1st time I ever saw Buddy play live, so I'm sorry I don't remember your Bass playing, but I'm sure you understand why.Smile

JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 10:44 pm    

Let me join in on this thread....we LOVE Blackie around this household... Smile