The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Twin--opinions
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 5:26 am    

I saw a used Fender Twin advertised for sale, a 100 watt amp with a 25 watt switch. It's not vintage, and it's not one of the new reissues. Maybe made in the 90s or 00s?

Does anyone know anything about this amp? Opinions? For pedal steel?

I know all the arguments for vintage over reissue, but this thing is cheap. Just wondering.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 7:31 am    

That's an Evil Twin. Early versions had red knobs, the later ones looked blackface. Not held in much regard by the steel community. Really heavy.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 11:43 am    

It may be a "The Twin" twin, which was a 1980's red knob, followed by a "red knob" that had black knobs - confusing. The Evil Twin, which didn't actually have Evil printed on the amp, was a predecessor to these, early 80's? At any rate, all of these are genuine Fender Twins in that they have the 100W of all tube clean headroom, are US made, worth maybe half or more than a silver face, so maybe street at $450? IMO, the red knobs are undervalued, and have the cool 25W mode. But yes, they are way heavy. I saw one recently at a pawn shop for $350, but even at an additionally hagled discount, it was too beat and stinky to bring into my wife's home. Very Happy

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 4:31 pm    

This is advertised on the local Craigslist as an Evil Twin. My understanding of the term, which is clearly not Fender-sanctioned, is that it covers all of the generations mentioned in the prior post, none of which have much circuitry in common with the Twin Reverb, or its predecessor, the Twin.

They may be undervalued by the ton, but not by the tone.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2015 10:09 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=269318

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2015 11:47 am    

If possible, you need to test the amp with your steel. If you like the way it sounds and it's not too heavy, buy it. If not, don't. Period. Don't listen to other's opinions.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 8:21 am    

I have always been under the impression that the Evil Twin is the red-knob version from the late 80s-early 90s. I had one, it was junk. No surprise that good deals can be had on these.

From day one it sounded like it was frying eggs when nothing was being played. I lived with it for a while because I needed an amp to make money - after about two years I contacted Fender, they had me ship it to them where they were not able to determine the cause for the problem, so they sent me a new one which also fried eggs. I sold it.

A friend has a black knob "The Twin" and it is a harsh sounding amp - doesn't even make his Stratocaster sound like a Fender!

I currently have a '72 Twin and it is the best sounding amp with my Emmons that I have heard. I prefer it (despite the weight) over my Nashville 400. Crystal clean and powerful - I'd look for one of these....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 11:58 am    

There are many older Twins available for sale so look around. Also, realize that if you buy a Twin several decades old it may need recapping, power tubes and rebias but that goes along with the territory for a tube amp.

The sweetest sound I have in my studio is a 70's Fender PA135 head with a 15 inch Eminence
EPS speaker. The PA135 has the same power section as a Older Twin but a different tone stack. These amps are available at very reasonable prices and IMO are a hidden gem. Also, 4 channels with reverb in every channel.

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 12:31 pm    

I have been using that model Twin now for about a year. It is at the place I practice. I love it. I own a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400, and it sounds good too, but not like the Twin. I just picked up a Red Knob version and I am going to take it to practice and compare them. So far, I am very impressed with the tone...will post tomorrow on comparison.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2015 8:52 pm    

I got a new'65 Twin Custom 15 a few months ago.I reallyreallyreally like it!
Very Happy Cool

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 10:05 am    

I ran these 2 Twins at practice. The tone of both of these is amazing. They have a lot of options to dial in. Once your there, its a great tone. The only issue I see coming along may be reliability with these amps, tone wise I wouldn't hesitate.