The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Got a question for some of you elderly pickers...........
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2015 7:30 pm    

When I started out playing professionally at age 15, I figured life was forever.

Now rapidly approaching 80 and taking a ton of medicines each day and night, plus C-PAP.......I sense that the end of my dream world is just around the corner.

Can anyone of you guys comment on the topics of
Heart Attacks and/or brain problems?

Regarding heart attacks: What might one expect to encounter four or five days before it hits? Any preliminary physical sensations one might feel PRIOR to the Big One?

Any warning signs, feelings, for-boding, tiny pains and where at, etc..

Would appreciate any words you might care to share.
If the BIG one comes.....I'll have lots of great guitars and amps that will have to go, in addition to one of the most complete collection of records, tapes and/or CD's on which Jerry Byrd plays. Also
a great little web page......the JB-FC.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 3:57 am    

I remember being immortal.. Smile

In Being Mortal, Atul Gawande, a surgeon, addresses these questions. Part of a healthy process is addressing them as you're doing.
The questions are relatively new. Once we died of trauma more often than old age, and medical science hasn't kept up with our experience.
Social science opens up other questions, like the effect we have on others as we age and give up some independence.

Retirement was envisioned as a time of lessened worry over what was accomplished. Worry becomes a factor.
Clarity and brain plasticity can accomplish much when it comes to anti-aging. Emotion comes in to play
in the reintegration of body and mind and reducing stressors, whether internal or external.

I'm approaching the age by listening more and more. It's a musician's tool. Acceptance accompanies it.
Listening isn't about what other's say; I'm listening to what my body says, what it tells me it's doing.
Listening, and staying aware as you are, is a reintegrative experience and strengthens other parts of a healthy pattern.
Certainly, keeping the fingers moving plays a part in higher brain function.

So I listen like I'm deaf, see as if I'm blind, and feel as if touch is losing sensitivity, as they say it will.
I think it will be another generation that sees improvement in what science can offer.
Until then, we are pioneering a new advanced age, and approaching it with the interest of a scientist helps.

Dr. Gawande has written a book that may assist in the aging process, but will at least get one to thinking, and
keeping the brain's plasticity--retaining more clarity-- will alleviate stress on the heart, the kick drum of the instrument.
(There are lower frequencies--the cranio-sacral flow, the bass note, very slow and more fundamental.
Thus we focus more on breath than heart or brain.)

I believe it helps to realize that you done good, and may retire when the work is done (Lao Tzu sez).
If you have a bucket list, go do it, someone else said.
It's good that you don't have to worry about your impact on the world of steel guitar.
And remember to breathe always, and let the kick drum take care of itself (I suppose).
It's hard to get a drummer to do anything. Neutral

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 4:54 am    

Charlie -
That was a really good & thoughtful reply to Ray's post.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 5:01 am    

I had a very good friend at work, younger than me, who was the picture of health. He ate right, never smoked, and was never overweight. He was easygoing, exercised daily, worked a non-stressful job, and...as an avid golfer, his only vice was an occasional beer on the 19th hole. At 65 years old, he was having his regular health checkups, and had already bought his retirement home in preparation for "the good life". Then, one Friday afternoon, he left work early to play a round of golf with his son, so I wished him luck and said "See 'ya Monday Charlie!"

He died in his sleep the next day - heart attack. And no one's death affected me more.

No, Ray, we don't always get that "warning" you're asking about. As my father used to say..."When the Man upstairs punches your ticket, you're getting on that train - and you may not even hear it coming".

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 7:44 am    

Well Ray, when I was 45 I had a brain hemorrhage/ stroke with absolutely no warning. It just happened to me at work. Yes, I was doing something that was physically stressful, but, I had no warning of it at all. Luckily I had no longing after affects from it.
Then, in 2012 at age 63, I had a heart attack with no warning. However, I had been monitoring my blood pressure prior to that, which, had been very high. I was taking meds for it though. Now, I'm on a boatload of medications for my heart, blood pressure and cholesterol, plus, since then they've found out that I have Type 2 Diabetes, so, I take meds for that too. Quite frankly, I never thought I'd have a heart attack. I was always very observant of myself, physically and went to the doctor for regular checkups. So, I think that if you have a history of a problem or no history at all, it doesn't really matter. When your time is up, it's up. I'm trying to enjoy life as much as possible and trying not to dote on what has happened to me. Of course, I'm aware of it every morning and night, when, I take my meds, but, it doesn't bring me down. Doting on the enevitable will only lead you to depression, which, can kill you too. Lighten up, Bud!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 8:45 am    

"The first 60 years are on the house. After that, you pay." ... Mike Perlowin

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 8:54 am    

Seems like there's a whole bunch of us that have reached that paradigm shift where things that we once thought of as drugs are now meds.

John De Maille

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 10:52 am    

A good friend of mine stopped drinking and smoking over 30 yrs ago. Ten yrs ago he had a six way by pass done on his arteries. After his recovery, he did feel a lot better and was back to his usual self, good natured and energetic. Last year he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. He did the chemo and the radiation and finally surgery. He lived with a feeding tube for four months. I got to see him last November at hunting camp and I was really disturbed by his appearance, but, I tried not to show it. He has to sleep sitting up now and eating real food is a major chore for him. I just heard last week that he now has a spot on his lung, which, the doctors are going to investigate. Now, here's a man, who, went on the straight and narrow many years ago in order to live a long and healthy life. It hasn't worked out for him too well. I dearly hope he gets his wish, though. The only good thing is that he has a positive attitude through all this. He never expected this to happen to him, just as I never expected my problems. We're all learning to take advantage of each day as it comes and not dwell on what eventually will be and hope that science and the doctors are getting it right... Sorry for ranting, but, this topic has gotten me into thinking again. As Bobby Mc Ferrin, I think, says " Don't Worry, Be Happy ".

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 12:01 pm     Aging

I will be 81 real soon and thank God, I've had a great life. My wife, IMO, there has never been a better woman, impeccable integrity and I pray that the good lord will let us continue our relationship in the next life. We lost our daughter last June and we deal with it every day. But she left three well educated daughters and her three grandchildren. I saw Chrystal Gayle on tv a few minutes ago but it took a few minutes to remember her name and Loretta Lynn's. So I guess I have no idea how much time I have left as it seems that most deaths are sudden. But I exercise and maintain, thanks to several drugs, etc. and I'm grateful to God for this wonderful life and music. I know that there is another life as I had an epiphany with my mother, Mar 6, 1994 when I was leaving work on a Sunday PM, I didn't see or hear anything but I felt her love so strong and sensed that she was very happy. Since then when this was given to me I haven't been the same but I know that there is heaven and I'll see everyone again in some form or another. At that time I did not smoke or do drugs,still don't 'cept what the Doc gives me. That's my gift to all of you. Peace out. Oh, she was an avid Church worker, Southern Baptist.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 9:03 am    

The news is a Man dies several days after being released from the hospital after surgery to put in 7 stents in arteries to the heart.
What's left out of the story is that he was under the care of two cardiologists and a family physician for two years prior. The man need 7 stents and no one noticed.
The problem is that your doctors got old with you.
Find yourself a fresh out of school young physician and you'll more than likely stay on this earth a little longer.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 11:36 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:

Find yourself a fresh out of school young physician and you'll more than likely stay on this earth a little longer.

I like this suggestion.
Even better, Ray, if she's a young good looking doctor, getting regular check ups won't be so bad. Winking

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 7:25 am    

I decided I was getting old when I started noticing that my doctors were younger than me. The guy that did my pacemaker is the same age as my son! Whoa!

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 9:43 am    

I think that my revelation may have cost me a dear friendship. But when that happened to me I walked around on a cloud for several weeks, telling everyone, but maybe if someone had told me about such an epiphany I might have been skeptical as well. The event was quite a shocker to me I haven't been the same since, and I'm sure that anyone else would be either. I no longer believe that death, as we know it, is final. I don't know what the rules are but I've changed my behavior radically. At my age I know just how brief life is, as I once said, "an organism's perception of time is directly related to an organism's metabolism". And I'm sure that some one has probably said that as well. Well I regret the loss of a friend that I respected so well, so goodby old buddy!

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 6:01 pm     Waitin' For The Big One.

Ray, at 57 I survived prostate surgery, at 58 I survived a traumatic car wreck with a broken back, arm, ribs, and knee. I'll be 69 in Oct. and I think I'm gonna live to be a 100yrs. old, if I just stay out of other peoples way. My blood pressure stays down with one medication, and my heart rate is 60bpm, so hopefully the old ticker will make 30 more yrs....The old Emmons LGII D-10, and the Fender Twin w/JBL's ain't gettin' any lighter, but I like to think of myself as a Tuff Old Man....At 80, I may change my mind.

John De Maille

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 6:24 pm    

Jim Smith wrote:
I decided I was getting old when I started noticing that my doctors were younger than me. The guy that did my pacemaker is the same age as my son! Whoa!

Yes,the doc that did my angioplasty looked like Doogie Howser. I actually thought he was an intern, much to my amazement, he was in charge.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 3:11 am    

IMO, this is the fun of being able to stick around and watch how things and people change. It's also an opportunity to become more proficient on my psg. I feel the same as I did in younger years until I get up and move, then the realization hits me that I'm really getting older. I would advise that a good and salient way of keeping a fit body is exercise, diet and brushing and flossing of teeth and gums. I've read that this is where bacteria can do the most damage to the rest of the human body. I still do a lot of pushups and flys with weights. Maintaining physical strength, I believe, gives one confidence in a difficult situation, and stronger bones. I hope that this information is helpful to all. One very important thing is "vitamin F". That's a lot of friends and maintaining a healthful social life..

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 9:06 am     To be more specific....

WHAT warning signs did you experience, prior to being hit by the REALLY BIG ONE?

I've been experiencing some unusual discomforts near the center of my bod........in the chest area that come and go at irregular intervals, not necessarily associated with anything that I'm doing at the time.

They are only momentary and last but only a few seconds. Sorta like discovering an old BRUISE.....

What sensations might one expect with blockage of an artery?

Just a couple of questions by an aging old steel player.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 10:14 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
"The first 60 years are on the house. After that, you pay." ... Mike Perlowin

Actually, the quote is "The first 60 years are on the house. After that, you have to work for them," and the person who said it is a guitarist named Phil Boroff.

Phil, Herb, and I all played together in a bluegrass band when we were teenagers. Herb played the mandolin and I played the bass. And Brad Sarno's cousin Ken played the Banjo.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 12:53 pm    

I don't know firsthand about a heart attack, but I do know about heart failure…and the description of having an "elephant sitting on your chest" is totally accurate.
Heart failure is sneaky…there's a handful of symptoms that, when taken by themselves, are fairly innocuous…but when you connect the dots…especially in hindsight, it's pretty obvious what's going on.

John De Maille

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 2:58 pm    

Ray,
When I had my heart attack, I had a severe, dull pain in the center of my chest. It didn't knock me down or incopassate me, it was just a dull severe ache. I first though that, I had broken my sternum or pulled a chest muscle. A trip to the emergency room with several tests and I was diagnosed with a heart attack. Blood vessels on my heart were blocked and causing the pain. Unfortunately, they're too small to stent or balloon, so I'm taking blood thinners, chlorosterol pills, pain pills and something to do with making the platelets flow better. I also have nitro pills IF it gets real bad again, then it's off to the hospital. If I were you and I was having pains in my chest, I'd definitely have it checked out. It's not worth second guessing with your life. They can do amazing things today.

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 6:29 pm    

Ray, I was 75 when it happened; for what its worth, this is how it was: shortness of breath, slightly worsened over a years time. I thought it was because I had been a smoker for a lot of years; had quit a number of years ago, but the damage was done. ...No, found out later it was the artery closing up, got to where couple hours out in yard or with the chain saw put me out of commission for the rest of the day. ...So I would say that shortness of breath was my real wake-up call & I was in denial of it. ...The actual onset was that hard steady pain in the chest, and oddly enough, down my right arm, which also caused me to say "no, not heart" for 24 hours before I couldn't handle it any more. ...So everybody is different I guess. Smile
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 7:31 pm    

Ray go see your Doctor and have him recommend a good Heart Doctor. If there's a problem he will find it. Don't waite to have a Heart attach. Prevention my friend.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 9:47 am     Re: To be more specific....

Ray Montee wrote:
WHAT warning signs did you experience, prior to being hit by the REALLY BIG ONE?

I've been experiencing some unusual discomforts near the center of my bod........in the chest area that come and go at irregular intervals, not necessarily associated with anything that I'm doing at the time.

They are only momentary and last but only a few seconds. Sorta like discovering an old BRUISE.....

What sensations might one expect with blockage of an artery?

Just a couple of questions by an aging old steel player.

Ray. With blockage you will get tired very easy. Speaking for myself, I would think I could do a job around the house or in the garden but I would barely get started when I would feel like I had worked all day. You will , most likely , be short of breath just walking as you had done normally all your life.
The sign's don't come when your starting to get a blockage. You can function pretty normally with a 95% blockage. The doctors won't even do a bypass on anyone with a 95% blockage. Don't know about stents. A stent is only good for a couple years anyway on average.
I have had 2, 5 way bypass surgery's . One in 2001 and another in 2012. Had 3 stents in 2010. One thing for sure. If you feel something is wrong find a good cardiologist. He might make a big difference in the way you feel.
May the Lord be looking after you !

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 1:09 pm    

Ray, I'm not a doctor but my brother is. He told me years ago that those pains in the center of your body are almost always indigestion.

A simple diet, a bit of exercise, a lack of stress over things you have no control of are probably the key ingredients to old age. I'm 70 this year, my pops made it to 91 with his mind intact.

Just hang in there and remember: life is eternal whether you like it or not.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 1:35 pm    

interestingly enough, in my recent reading i've found one theory that states the human body was designed for 120 years max. one lady was known to push that envelope to 122 back in the 1800s sometime.
at least it puts some things in perspective.
tom, that should give you another 10 years or so, right? Alien