The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Those who tab or teach; help list them
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 6:29 am    

There are a number of members who do a lot of free tabs or teach us on this Forum and I'd like to acknowledge them and point others to their sites or do a search using their names in the TABLATURE section.

Please add to this list as I know I'm leaving quite a few out.

EDIT: Sorry I did not make myself clear in the title. These are members who tab or teach us without charge.

Maybe we can start another thread about members who sell their teaching products. Believe me, I have benefitted from many such steelers such as Buddy Emmons, Herby Wallace, Jeff Newman, Mark van Allen, Paul Franklin, Mike Headrick, etc.

1. mickd

http://www.dunfrettin.com/index.html
2. greg cutshaw

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/

3. frank freniere

4. Jeff garden

5. Ricky Davis (especially page 8 )

6, Harold Bullard

7. Mickey Adams many, many Youtube videos. John Scanlon listed these. Check out this link:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=182789

8. Besides Richard Burton who does tabs, there is a Brit who also does videos for us. Can't remember his name. Help!

9. Oh, the British member is David Hartley

10. Dick Sexton

11. Alex Catteno

12. Jeff Rady

13. The old Rebel and Ricky site

Last edited by steve takacs on 12 Apr 2015 4:46 pm; edited 6 times in total

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 1:10 pm    

My experience of tabbing is that you can't please everybody, there's always some idiot who will point out that so-and-so didn't have an X lever (or whatever), and therefore my tab must be worse than useless.

Tabbing is very time-consuming, and it's very disheartening when a pedant rips it to pieces Sad

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 2:23 pm    

Richard, I'm sorry if folks do that to you because it's uncalled for. Jeff Newman proved you can get just about any chord you need with just 3 pedals and 3 knee levers. Maybe you don't have an "X" lever for a certain chord, but there are other ways of getting it. Some folks just won't look for it I guess.

Sorry, my apologies, I digress from the OP's stated purposes.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 6:20 pm     Ignore the critics

I agree with Richard and DG and would add that many of these "critics" don't do much, if any tabs themselves that they give freely to Forum members.

It is a different story if someone shows another way of tabbing a particular section of a tune.

My intent is to thank and list those who tab for the rest of us. I am leaving out many ( Richard's for example is one) and would like other members to post names here for others to use.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 9:53 pm    

Part of this discussion about "tab adequacy" is why I present lessons in the way I do, which is the "talk tape" format, (except on CD or digital delivery). I've looked hard at teaching systems/ methodology over the last 30 years, and even more at how we actually play and perform, which involves mentally "hearing" the progression or song changes, having trained ourselves to recognize where patterns, chords, licks, etc. can be found that fit or work with those changes, and tapping into our "lick library" to plug in something that works, compliments the song, and expresses our creative side.

It's a tall order, especially for a beginning improvisor, but each of the steps can be learned and internalized as so many have done before us.

I find tablature to be a fine, maybe the best, way to notate licks and positions, and I use it to file away ideas for later and to organize groups of licks and ideas for study. In fact, writing tab notation of things we learn by ear is a fine way to build vocabulary by utilizing different neural pathways. But "learning steel" by memorizing one song after another from tab is painting ourselves into a corner when we could be learning how to think on the bandstand or in a jam situation to insert our own personality and style into the music of the moment.

Of course, notating specific intros, licks, and solos is another matter, and I think tab really works well for our somewhat complex instrument there. Experienced players can often easily see how to incorporate new licks into their own bag. I think it may be harder for some beginners to figure out how to do that without an understanding of the theory or thought process from which those licks were generated, so I try to teach how to understand and access that perspective.

Just my take on the learning process. I'll add my kudos here to the forumites who painstakingly work out and tab sometimes difficult parts for our mutual edification. A labor of love!

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 12:09 am    

I appreciate all their efforts and I know they are helpful or at least trying to be helpful but as for
Talk CD, video
Move the bar to fret 5 and play strings 4,5,6 and then move to fret 6 and strings 5 and play strings 5 and 6 move to fret 7 and then 8 and then 9 all while playing strings 5 and 6 and then slide to fret 10 with strings 5 and 6 sustaining and the play strings 3, 4, 5 at the 10th fret and then move to fret 11 and play strings and play strings 5 and 6 move to fret 12 and then 13 all while playing strings 5 and 6 and then slide to fret 12 with strings 5 and 6 sustaining and the play strings 3, 4, 5 at the 12th fret then slide to fret 15 with strings 5 and 6 sustaining and the play strings 3, 4, 5 at the fret and then move back to fret 10 and play and play strings 5 and 6 move to fret 8 and then 7 and then 6 all while playing strings 5 and 6 and then slide all the way up to fret 17 with strings 5 and 6 sustaining and the play strings 3, 4, 5 at the 17th fret then slide……………Think this is bad you should see it with all the right, vertical and left levers and pedals A DB and C E F X Crawford Cluster Franklin in all the right places.......... till you puke!
It's bad enough reading it but it is unbearable listening to the CD or video over 100rds of times till you can remember it all and by that time you are ready to kill somebody.
First thing I do with tab with a talk CD is keep the tab and use the talk CD for a drink coaster.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 3:56 am    

I think I see what you're saying Stuart, and it seems like MvA was saying tab is a more efficient way to put it.
Quote:
Of course, notating specific intros, licks, and solos is another matter, and I think tab really works well for our somewhat complex instrument there.

It does seem that tab was made for pedal steel, bearing in mind that it's an historical form of notation
and pedal steel is the newest mainstream instrument out there.
It seems strange to an outsider, but if a student can use it toward 'mentally "hearing" the progression or song changes' it's useful.
However, it is notation, like a chart, and may best be used for jotting down notes, so to speak. Beyond that it does seem cumbersome.

Being a historical notation and a valid language, it does seem somewhat important to preserve it on this forum.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 7:38 am    

I appreciate all these IMO, wonderful musicians for their work, and like Richard says, "it's hard work." I thank all of you for your work in enlightening me at different levels and I just wish that all this had been available in the early sixties. I was just listening to, I believe, Fred Justice do a rendition of "Amazing Grace" that I would love to have the tab if it's out there similar to how Fred played. Thanks Fred.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 8:18 am    

Actually, stuart, I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to my particular style of talk teaching… I'm going for the opposite experience, by separating licks and phrases into short sections by function, teaching the number system notes of the scale used, why, where, and how to transfer and re-purpose the same ideas in other ways, at other positions, etc. I routinely get very positive feedback about how my approach has helped break down the understanding barriers for many folks.

The thing with tab, it shows one way, one position to play something, with no explanation of why it's played, why the notes used work against the chord or progression… and to me that's completely counter-intuitive to actually learning to play.

Again, I find tab a great shorthand way to notate and remember licks, (I'll sometimes jot a short bit of tab on a chord chart to remember how an intro starts on a one-off gig, for example,) but it's nearly useless for imparting real understanding about playing unless the student already has a grasp of theory and why certain positions, strings, scales, etc. were chosen.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 8:36 am    

Stuart, I have to agree with Mark on this as far as his teaching methods. Yes, I do have some of Mark's teachings so I can attest to the effectiveness of them. Mark also has another point, at least from the way I personally look at things, I want to know why I'm playing this, not just I have to do it to play the song or lick. I want to understand it from the flow of the song and rotation of the chord structure. In other words, the "why", not just the "play this". Hope that makes sense.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 9:21 am    

Kinda getting off topic on this.

The post is about WHO does the tabbing, not about the Why's and WHEREFORES.

That being said, another for Steve's list is Dick Sexton.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 9:34 am    

Alex Cattaneo and Jeff Rady should be added to the list. They have helped me, and others no doubt, immensely.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 10:07 am    

Yes we did Graham, my apologies. I would like to submit Jeff Newman to that list. He has many "woodshedding" and other tab books available on his site.

Also for consideration, David Hartley and Mike Headrick.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 10:33 am    

rebel and ricky's site of incredibly useful stuff!!!

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 11:14 am    

Jim Loessburg does a great job of combining tab with the talk-style of instruction . His study of Ray Price songs is exceptional. Me, I don't even look at the tab part .I learn by listening , to instructors or by copying intros/fills/solos from recordings. That's why I LOVE Mark van Allen's materials, and also Mike Archer's. Some people learn better by reading, but not me.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 11:21 am     Rebel & Rickey site, indeed

I know I'm, as Graham mentions, diverting for my original intention but would like to say a few things.

Chris, yep, Rebel and Rickey was an amazing site for tab and the songs that went along with them. Great time-savers.

Also, although this was something that was sold, it included tab, explanation and a disk of the songs (a plastic record then and CD now). I'm talking about Winnie Winston and Bill Keith's PEDAL STEEL GUITAR. What bang for the buck, unabashedly "tabby" and useful.

Wonder how many of the members here got their start and foundation built with that Oak publication? It's still being published decades later which means enough folks continue to find it useful.

For me, one thing about tab as opposed to "talk tapes" is that they are less time consuming as Stewart mentions. You can easily turn a page, find the song and takeoff. Helps to hear the song also, of course.

Yes, one benefits the most by figuring out WHY they work and not just using rote memorization to nail songs down. That is where Mark van Allen's ideas are really helpful.

If I use talk tapes, I only purchase them if they also include the tab. stevet

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 7:00 pm    

I heard an Emmons track that killed me, bought a Sho Bud Maverick and joined my first band the same day. If I hadn't had Winnie's book I would have never gotten going. Still a phenomenal resource.

I thought the OP was about free tab posted by forumites, but if Winnie's book and Newman's (uniformly excellent) courses are in the mix, the gates are wide open. Jernigan did some excellent books with Keith Hilton publishing, Emmons courses are all fabulous. The Tommy White transcriptions of Hughey's albums are a gold mine…Cohen, Steiner, and many more are providing excellent tabs and tracks. It's a great time to be learning!

steve takacs

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 4:47 pm    

bumping..... whom have we left out?

John Bresler

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 7:36 pm    

Dick Meis & Chuck Lettes in Denver, Co.

Dick's web page is www.pedalsteelguitar.net. Don't know Chuck's, but he is a forum member.

Cool Cool