The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Never again with D'Addario strings! I need a new brand!
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 6:43 am    

That's really strange because I have and still do at times use D' Addario and have never had any problems and they are always in separate packages with size clearly written on slip.
I also use Live steel strings from Sid Hudson here on forum, great strings and quick service.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 6:47 am    

D'Addario went to the new style of packaging because strings last forever in them (not true of the old envelope method) and it reduces packaging waste.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 7:30 am    

I'm a D'Addario fanboy. They had a momentary packaging snafu with dobro sets a few years back. No biggie.

I'm happy to deal with it for as long as it takes for them to make good.

h

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 9:15 am    

So far as I have read, the biggest issue with D'Addario is the packaging. Has the quality of the sings diminished?
I've always had problems with the 3rd string G# no matter what brand I used. Once I went to .0115 gauge the breakage stopped...now I use .012 and the tone is even better.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 9:23 am    

When I had a dobro, I always used D'Addario or John Pearce strings. But always D'Addario on my Acoustic guitar.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 9:33 am    

I buy D'Addario singles and make my own sets. Similar gauges to the packaged sets, but I prefer a .012 third and .018 fifth. Never had one break. Been using them for 2 or 3 years now. I've not found a lot of difference between any of the strings I've used except for age when they are installed.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 1:12 pm    

I'm curious as to how a new/old string can go bad just from sitting in the little envelope??

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 2:35 pm    

Corrosion, or rust, David...unless it's sealed in an airtight envelope.

My band used to have a DiAddario endorsement deal back in the day. We loved them for all our guitars. I tolerated them for my steel. They weren't bad, but not the best, in my opinion.

After trying a bunch of other brands, I chose Cobra Coils. They just have a nice strong feel to the notes and last for a very long time. Set to set, they sound the same.....no surprises.

Of course, YMMV.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 6:18 pm    

Given my druthers, I probably like GHS Stainless and Cobra Coils for pedal steel the best. I also like SIT strings, but I have had a few issues with QC. But to me, one cannot beat SIT "Scotty's" 6/8 lap steel strings.

But I confess that I often just use bulk strings from wherever - juststrings.com, musiciansfriend, etc. I have to make up lots of different custom-gauge sets for slide guitar. It's a total pain in the ass, but I get the bulk strings and then package them myself into old sleeves. I use a ton of slide tunings and have calculated out gauges to give even tension across the neck, so I buy practically every string gauge by the dozen. I know of no music stores who have even close to my selection of single strings. I went slide-guitar-berserk about a year ago.

I admit I'm not crazy about D'Addario's color-coded ball-end scheme. But their strings are just fine, to my tastes. I have never had a problem with the strings themselves, they are one of the "big boys" who control their own string-making process very effectively. I have found their QC to be just fine, thank you, and sometimes use them for guitar. But I guess for steel, I prefer the sound/feel of Cobras and GHS stainless.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 6:55 pm    

I used Daddarios for 25 years as a six string player. As my desired tone thus amps changed over the years to more vintage tones...ultimately I concluded they were two bright and twangy for my taste. I migrated to GHS boomers which seem to soften the bright and twang and have found them to be a pleasant middle tone between stainless and nickel.

As for steel...most are too twangy for my taste to begin with...I dial them in dark compared to most... I don't even think it would pay for me to try Daddarios on steel...

As for the difficulty at hand... my eyes are still good enough to pick the thickest and thinnest strings and I know where they belong...not sure a chart is really necessary.....? ?

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 7:14 am    

Tom Gorr wrote:

As for the difficulty at hand... my eyes are still good enough to pick the thickest and thinnest strings and I know where they belong...not sure a chart is really necessary.....? ?

Tom, the plain strings in the set are .013, .015, .011, .014, .017, and .020. While the 11 and 20 are pretty obvious, the difference between a 13 and 14 or 14 and 15 is a little harder to reliably detect. In hindsight, they did have the strings coiled in adjacent pairs...but that info was not supplied. Coincidentally, the color coding for the guitar strings EBGDAE does correspond with the correct colors for the first 5 strings....if you ignore the string names. Anyway, the point of whether you have good enough eyes is secondary to the real issue of poor packaging. Even if D'Addario finds it necessary to dedicate the entire back of the package to self-promotion, how hard would it be to stick in a paper insert with the gauges clearly listed? I've sent an email to their customer service regarding this..........

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 9:04 am    

Sealed packaging of the string gives longevity (shelf-life) to the string. Paper packaging with just an unsealed flap allows humidity in to corrode the string. It's subjective, but I rather put up with a sealed string that is protected from the elements.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 9:22 am    

I'm in west central Florida and the Florida humidity. I buy George L's strings (both E9th and C6th sets) by the dozen. A dozen sets last about a year and I've not had any problems with the strings.
The strings are kept in the house and with the A/C going so there isn't any humidity problems

I carry an E9th and C6th set in my steel seat. I've had sets in the seat for two years and they were still good. The strings in the seat are subjected to various environments including humidity and no harm. I also carry some individual strings in the seat and some of those have been in the seat "since I don't know when" and they are still OK, too.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 12:05 pm    

Does anyone know if Cobra Coils are the same as they were, say 15 years ago? I was given a set by Jack Matthews and put them on my LeGrand and took them off 30 minutes later. They felt like spaghetti and just kept stretching. I hear good things now about them so just wandering if anyone used them that long ago.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 2:15 pm    

The original Cobra Coils were replaced by a new version early on. Bobbe Seymour sent me some of the originals when I placed an order (for other items). I didn't like them and later he sent me some new ones and they were better, although I didn't keep them on my guitar long as I use George L's.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 2:19 pm    

I am trying D'Addarios NYXL on my BenRoms. Must say I liked the brightness...it was a difference to my ears. I have tried several by now> SIT, LSS. They are all good.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2015 5:14 pm    

My choice at this time.
Jerry

Thom Gustafson

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2015 8:21 am    

It would be great if the D'Addario plastic pack showed the proper sequence of colors, however if you simply duplicate the coloring of strings 3-6 for strings 7-10 you won't need to read the microscopic side panel print.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2015 5:29 pm     strings

Guys, there are some interest in info here. Based on what I have read tonight I will not buy dAddario strings. I use Live Steel and SIT. on you tube on the Paul Franklin.Vince Gill gear ...Paul stated he uses fArewell.