Michael Calaway

Salem, VA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 9:14 am    

MASGA JAM
MARCH 28, 2015 at the:
Kannapolis Moose Lodge
Old Beatty Ford Road
China Grove, NC. 28023

THIS WILL BE A MEMORIAL JAM IN HONOR OF E.R. CHANDLER. E.R. passed away at the last MASGA performance. He was one of the co-founders of MASGA and was a devoted member. His compassion for the steel guitar was immeasurable.

His greatest joy was playing the steel which he had a permanent setup in his living room.

His tireless dedication and efforts will be missed.

DIRECTIONS TO EVENT: For those that will be headed south on Rt.85 towards Kannapolis NC. Take exit #68. Go through two stoplights then 1 flashing light, then turn left at the next stoplight onto Old Beatty Ford Road. Go approximately 1 mile, the Moose Lodge will be on the left.

DIRECTIONS TO EVENT: For people that will be headed North on Rt. 85 towards Kannapolis NC. Take exit #58, this will put you on Rt29 north. Go approximately 7 miles (through Kannapolis) until you see the Landis city limit sign. Go another 1/2 mile until you come to a stoplight and turn right on Old Beatty Ford Road. Go approximately 1 mile, the Moose Lodge will be on the left.

FOOD--Great food will be made available on premises.

There is no membership dues. Anyone coming to our events can join at no charge meaning they can vote and receive promos (mailers, emails). With regular admission they can attend, perform, and offer their products at the events. Admission for this jam is set at $20.00 per person, $30.00 per couple, children under 16 yrs free.

SCHEDULE
Registration at 9am,
Performers with tracks at 10am
The band starts at 1:00P.M.

Our band for this jam is:
Jim Hartley---Drums
Mike Borgue—Guitar
Steve Alonza Walker--Bass

Our Special Guest for this jam is Doug Jernigan, who we’ll feature several times throughout the day.

All levels of players are welcome as well as those who enjoy the unique sound or the "Steel Guitar".

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Mike Calaway, Secretary/Treasure

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2015 1:48 pm     Masga

Mike, Excellent Post, Looking fwd to being there, this is going to be a good one.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2015 3:11 am    

No gig that night YEAY !

And yes, ER was a fine man, I am lucky to have known him and able to have called him a friend.

Looking forward to visiting friends I have not seen in a while...

t

Plus seeing I am under 16 I might get in for free Rolling Eyes

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 3:09 pm    

Hi Guys Anna and I are back living in North Carolina in Willow Spring. We will not be able to attend this Steel Guitar Jam and are hopping to in the future.As we were moving in our new home Anna had a bad fall on the back deck wich goes out about 10 feet and the one step down and she did not know it was there and she fell almost head first to the bottom deck and broke her wrist and a bad bump on her head and a big black eye which is getting better.She has a cast on her left arm from her W\wrist to her elbow.She is doing better so i will stay home until she is better.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 5:11 am     Jam

Looking forward to being in the midst of all my steel guitar friends and hearing all of you play your hearts out for the instrument we all love. It saddens me to think of being there without seeing E.R's big smile as he greets everyone to "HIS" steel guitar event. He took so much pride in his part of "steel guitar", and he loved each and every one of us that he had made friends with. So, lets get all we can out to this "ER" event and let him know from heaven above that we all appreciated him and all he every did for us and MASGA.

Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 7:03 pm    

I really hate to miss another jam and especially this one honoring ER. My mother, who turns 99 has been with us about 5 years is getting more feeble and my wife is not able to take care of her by herself. But keep the jams going and I anticipate getting to the next one. I have missed very few of the MASGA jams and enjoyed every one of them!
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:45 am    

I hope all have a great time. I would love to attend but schedule conflicts with my job. Don't know why they don't check with me first? LOL

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 4:20 pm    

Looking forward to this one, always a fun day. Working with Doug is an added bonus. See ya there.

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 9:44 am     jam

Allen, good words about ER, Glen, sorry you cant make it but I understand.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 6:46 pm     jam

Will Be there with some new guitars and seats built in NC by Hudson Steel Guitars.
Got a new 10 string with 3/8 string spacing to show for the first time at the Jam.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 2:16 am    

TTT this coming Sat...March 28

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 6:53 am     Packed?

Ok, everyone packed for this great weekend coming up? There better be steel guitars up to our ears this weekend, no better cause to have a jam than this weekend, "E.R. Chandler" appreciation weekend.Just think of his big ear to ear smile if he were to walk in and see what his friends think of him after he is already gone. Come on out, pickers, sings, spectators, fans, friends of steel guitar, friends of E.R., even friends of the cooks and workers back in the grill. We want a full house, more than we have ever had to really show E.R. how much we loved him, and still love him, for all he did for us over the past years (anybody know the exact time MASGA started? I know Skip Mertz would know, he started it, maybe he will read this and answer for us all. I'm thinking around 1995 which would make it 20 years, but I could be off a few years). Looking forward to seeing everyone out to share time together in remembrance of this truly great friend of ours and his love not only for us, but for the Steel Guitar as well.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 5:33 pm    

Allen you might be right about the year Skip started it all. I know I have been a member since 2002 and in 2004 I was awarded with most improved Steel play when Ken Lachum was President and Glenn Landing was
Vise President.I will not be able to make this one but I will the next one. I have to play nurse with Anna as you may know she feel on our back dack the day we were moving in and broke her left wrist and a very bad bump om her head near her temple and a big black eye. She is hopping the take the cast off in two weeks from tomorrow. We are back here in willow Spring about one mile from where we use to live just off Route 42 in Willow Spring.
sam white
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 3:37 pm    

All loaded up, headed to NC bright and early in the morning. See ya'll there.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 3:48 am    

i plan on being there to support all the players.

Skip lives here in Fayetteville and has been running a successful business that has taken him from playing steel. i saw him last year and he said he was starting to play again a little bit. great guy and player, wish he would get back into it. he was the guy who gave me my first steel lesson 10 years ago.

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 5:12 am    

I will be there bright and early. I can't wait!

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 5:53 am     Leaving

Packed up and leaving right after work today to go spend the night with the in-laws in Greensboro. That will get me about 45 minutes away for the drive in Saturday morning! I will be there at 5:00 am any of you that would like to come on out and practice some before you play! Laughing Mad

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 2:54 pm    

Planning on being there with a few things to sell. Hilton volume pedal. Standard with attached power supply. $175. Li'l Izzy $100. Lexicon MPX100 DuelChannel Processor with power supply and manual $75. Yamaha 4 track cassette recorder with 11 blank cassettes with manual $50. Everything works and guaranteed

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 8:21 am    

Good morning friends,

Just wanted to take a minute to say how much I enjoyed seeing so many friends yesterday in NC. Many of you went way out of your way to make us feel so very welcome.

In addition to the hospitality, there was an awful lot of really good music played yesterday. Sorry I didn't get to visit with more of you personally, but I sure enjoyed everybody's playing.

And then there's Doug. I am so fortunate to get to work with many of the best players in the world, and seriously, if there is anybody who has ever played a steel guitar better than him, I haven't heard it. Also, thanks so much to my buddies in the band, Alonzo Walker and Mike Bourque. You guys sure made my job easy yesterday, let's do it again as soon as we can.

Thanks again Eddie, Carl and all the masga members who worked so hard to make the show a big success. You've got a great club, please reach out to the young folks in your area and keep things going. That would be a tremendous tribute to E R.

Take care, see ya soon,
Jim

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 10:40 am    

Jim - the band was GREAT - right up there with the best i've ever heard backing an artist. its amazing to me you guys can pull that off from a players charts on the fly. Doug didnt pull any punches and you guys hung right with him - from the audience, i could tell he was really happy with the band

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 10:48 am    

Hey Jerome, thanks so much. We all, at one time or another, have worked with Doug, but nothing regular by any means. For me, I just hang on and hope he doesn't catch another gear and leave us in the dust.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 2:41 am    

speaking of JH

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 4:12 am    

I would like to second what Jim Hartley said about playing Bass in the back-up band at such a great Steel show with the one and only Doug Jernigan. And I, being a Steel player myself, really enjoyed all the pickers. Everybody was so friendly...it was just a good day of fellowship. I hope to be asked to come back for many more of your shows.

Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 8:22 am    

Hey Guys,

I had a wonderful time seeing so many of my old friends that I have not seen in several years. What an enjoyable treat! I am sorry I got so emotional during my first performance, I was thinking about ER looked over in the corner where he passed and lost it. I just hope the love and respect I have in my heart came out ok.

The band was fantastic and very enjoyable to work with. Thanks Guys!! Doug played awesome as always. God was very generous to Doug! It is so cool when your hero's turn out to be such nice people. I missed my old buddy ER... I thought everyone did an excellent job honoring ER. I know he was watching with a big grin from above.

I appreciate the kindness and friendship of everyone so much. I left with a warm heart and will do everything I can to carry on what ER and Carl started. Thanks to everyone that helped make this event a success. I encourage everyone to support the MASGA in the future.

Kind regards, Jerry