The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Joe Goldmark
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 1:28 pm    

Hey Joe,

Really appreciated your posts of record of the week a few years ago, wish you could do it again.

But, what I'd like to know is... After listening to 'Strong like Bull' and especially 'Bells of Madness' , do you ever get any feedback from the original artist, in this case, Bob Wasserman and Brian Wison? I have to believe that if they heard your version, they would be proud.

This question applies to others covering tunes on the steel. I Would just like to know.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 8:54 pm    

Craig, that's a great question. Basically the answer is no. I have given the tunes to artists to hear a few times when I've had the opportunity to do so without being pushy. Speaking of Brian Wilson, a couple of years ago he did an in-store at Amoeba where I work and I gave his handlers a copy of "Darlin'" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAtHH_Y2ONo and was told that he listened to and enjoyed it, but who knows?

As far as the "tune of the week" goes, I've archived them all on my site http://www.vinylbeat.com/steelguitar.html if anybody wants to hear them. Doubt if I'll do any more for awhile.

Joe

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 9:19 pm    

Best I can claim is that, thanks to Jerry Fessenden, I managed to get a copy of my "Home, James" CD into Graham Nash's hands, so he could listen to "Bus Stop". Whether he ever did or not remains an inscrutable mystery... Rolling Eyes

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 1:37 am     Impressive CDs, men.

Joe Goldmark,, I'm not a famous songwriter whse tunes you have covered, but will tell you the CDs of yours I have, are absolutely stellar.

I especially enjoy them when I'm cooking or am having a glass of wine. I'm willing to bet a number of steel players and non-players who have heard your work, have been impressed.

I also have two of Jim Cohen's CDs (Four to the Bar and Finally Here) and they are equally impressive.

Wish I could play 10% as well as both Goldmark and Cohen. At least I can enjoy listening to their work.

Thank, stevet

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 5:53 am    

A little off topic, Craig and Joe, but here's a pic of another couple of brothers.

Mr. Goldmark, from your discography, I realize I've been listening to you longer than I knew,
like Super Sessions, with the other of the three guys.

I wonder if you've ever recorded a Crosby, Stills, and Nash tune? I very much enjoy the Beatles' cuts.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 9:01 pm    

Hi Charlie,

I have recorded a CSNY (Neil Young) tune, the lead tune on "Seducing The 60's" with Brandi Shearer on vocals.
"Helpless" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkZtSCu68us
Thanks Steve for the nice words also.

Joe

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 2:56 am    

Thank you, Joe. Helpless is a perfect song for steel.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 10:24 am    

That version of "Helpless" with Joe and Brandi is the best version of the song that I have ever heard.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 10:02 pm    

Thank you Richard! I thought it was good enough to lead off the album, even though it's a slow tune. I generally wouldn't start an album with a ballad, but I thought it was the strongest tune on the CD.

Joe

Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 4:38 am    

I've done a whole lot of "affectionate cover versions" of classic tunes featuring steel and I love the stuff that Joe and Jim have done. Joe's right - most of the time if you get it to the original artist you get zero response. Nothing personal.... In my cynical opinion, when a famous person hears his/her song rendered by someone they never heard of, their first and only thought is likely to be, "has this clown used this version in a movie or TV show, and do I need to sue their ass and collect?" That said, Lloyd Green's CD "Revisited" (which I was privileged to play woodwinds on) has a version of "I'm Looking Through You". He got it to McCartney, who wrote back a gracious letter which is printed in the liner notes. Of course, Lloyd had played on "Sally G" and so they knew each other, and Lloyd is Lloyd, so that's a different deal. So many fine players have done steel albums of pop gems; the list is long. We need to keep doing 'em because of the beauty it adds to the world.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 4:52 pm    

Joe, I believe you are the steel player on Dave Gleason' s Wasted Days album. I introduced "Just Fall to Pieces" to a band I play in and they liked it so much they added it to our set list. Great steel playing on that one! I first heard it on Pandora and it caught my attention.

Mike

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 5:17 pm    

Joe Goldmark, I want to tell you what an inspiration you've been to me. I first heard your records on a local AAA format college radio station. A guy that I was playing in a Classic Country band with was a D.J. on the station and played your records and they made me think "yeah, this cat gets it BIG TIME"!!! You along with Emmons and everybody else that plays off the wall, out of the box things have inspired me to try to do similar things.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 7:21 pm    

Thanks again guys. Mike, I just went back and listened to that cut, since I hadn't heard it in years, thanks for mentioning it. Dave Gleason has moved around a bit and now he's back in the L.A. area again. Talented songwriter, country rock player and singer.

Jerry, glad I could be inspiring! However, I'm about 14 levels beneath Buddy...

Joe

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2015 7:30 pm    

Joe don't short change yourself you along with Buzz Evans in my opinion are very deserving to be in the same class as Buddy..Slim

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 12:38 am    

Joe Goldmark wrote:

Jerry, glad I could be inspiring! However, I'm about 14 levels beneath Buddy...

Joe

So Redd and Billy just let you hang out with them because you brought the beer?

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 7:08 am    

I've enjoyed all of Joe's recordings. I love his imagination and his choice of tunes that feature his steel guitar. My all time favorite is Edward, the Mad Shirt Grinder.
Chuck

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 11:12 am    

Hey Chuck,

You too have made some great recordings doing songs that are usually not done, the same with Jim Cohen.

Joe,

Back to your Music Archive List, thanks for the link, it is a great resource, one great CD I got off of that was the Texas Troubadors 'Almost to Tulsa', love that one and listen to it all the time. I wouldn't have seen that one without your list.

Thanks again!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days