The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dead String on gig.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 11:46 am    

I had 2 gigs this weekend, and decided to change out my 3rd and 5th strings Friday afternoon. About halfway through the second gig, my 3rd string went dead. And I mean DEAD. I could try to do a harmonic by placing my finger at the 12th fret and picking. Every other string rang through and had some sustain. The 3rd string just almost kinda sounded like a harmonic and died almost immediately.

Any GHS strings I have on hand are going into the garbage.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 12:17 pm     Re: Dead String on gig.

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Any GHS strings I have on hand are going into the garbage.

That'll show those bastards at GHS a thing or two!! Mad

But before you toss them into the garbage, toss them into a large envelope or small box and send them to me at

Herb Steiner
PO Box 36
Spicewood TX 78669

and I'll make sure they never darken the tone of any steel guitar again that you may hear. And I'll pay for the postage.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 12:48 pm    

I'm perplexed by the ferocity of all this. I have some GHS strings somewhere which I've never used. Should I
(a) not use them
(b) throw them away
(c) slaughter them ritually or
(d) set fire to all my neighbours' houses in case they have any?

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 12:57 pm    

Send them to Herb....

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 1:01 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
I'm perplexed by the ferocity of all this. I have some GHS strings somewhere which I've never used. Should I
(a) not use them
(b) throw them away
(c) slaughter them ritually or
(d) set fire to all my neighbours' houses in case they have any?

(e) have them ritually sacrificed by burning them at the stake during a full moon
.....at midnight
.....in a cornfield
.....with no witnesses
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 2:12 pm    

GHS strings are great strings.

You got a bad one.

Oh Well

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 2:18 pm    

I have had nothing but bad luck with GHS. I stopped using them years ago. I only have these on hand as extras. I forget where I got them, bit was the only singles they had. It was at a music store here in the bay area.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 2:20 pm    

Herb. I'll see what I have left and send them to you. It's not going to be a lot, but I'll see what I have left. Email or PM me an address to send them to.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 2:51 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Herb. I'll see what I have left and send them to you. It's not going to be a lot, but I'll see what I have left. Email or PM me an address to send them to.

Herb gave you his address in his reply. Winking I think most people would be surprised at how many string "companies" GHS actually manufacturers strings for. They and Squire make most of the strings, and D'Addario is probably number 3.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 4:03 pm    

Richard, I could be way off the mark here. But it would be highly unusual for a plain (un-wound) string to suddenly go dead. I can imagine failure with a wound-string that was not made properly. But can't see how a plain string that is correctly wound on the tuning post, and properly pinned or captured at the changer would suddenly go dead.

Could it be something happening at the roller nut, like the 3rd and 5th rollers being loose, or vibrating on the roller-bridge axle?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 6:58 pm    

Dang Jim. You're right. I must be going blind.

It is wound on the tuning peg the same as I have been doing for 44 years. And the rollers are good. I make sure they are, every time I put a string on. I'm pretty sure it's a bad string. But I will check tomorrow after I unload my truck and get time. The gig venue I played at last night was pretty dark. Even with a flashlight, it was impossible to really check things out.

Strings may be made by just a few companies, but I'm reasonably sure the quality of certain brands made by the same company, and branded by other companies are different.

Something I was thinking of today. I use a Lawrence 710. Is it possible for the pickup to go bad on just the posts for that one string?

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 7:17 pm    

I have recently experienced a surprisingly substantial difference in the response of a 3rd string (not GHS, by the way (as far as I know!--different brand)) just from where it was positioned, side to side, on the top of the changer pull finger. This without a visible wear groove on the finger.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 7:07 am    

The string goes over the finger in a straight line as the slot where you put the ball end in will dictate where on the finger it will go. But, it is possible to move it on the finger, which I don't do (to my knowledge). I'm just going to chalk it up to a bad string. Who knows how long the music store had it on the shelf.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 7:33 am    

Did you put on other string and the problem was fixed? If so, it is not the p/u. Since it was dark, could you have gotten a thread from shirt cuff caught in the string? or other 'trash'? I had this happen at the nut end on my Fender T-3, it was a thread from my shirt.

Plain strings do not just go dead.

Thanx,
Jim

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 8:48 am    

For what it's worth, I've had a different issue that could possibly be in play.

The winding from the ball end could be too long, and be underneath the contact point of the string on the finger, or can be affecting how the string contacts it. I'd never seen that problem until I did... it is possible to push the winding on a plain string back, if you have to.

Probably not it, but I thought I'd share for anyone who may experience this.

Sincerely,

David Spires

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 11:06 am    

"The winding from the ball end could be too long, and be underneath the contact point of the string on the finger."

I used to have that problem back in the Seventies, when the only strings I could buy in Milwaukee were Ernie Ball singles. The knot at the ball end was just too long.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 1:07 pm    

I still haven't unloaded the equipment from the truck. I doubt it was anything forein under the string. I wore short sleeve shirts this weekend, and even when I wear long sleeve shirts, I roll up my sleeve because the snaps get caught on the strings. I am planning a full set string change before this coming Friday. We'll see how it goes.

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 4:56 pm    

I have been useing GHS strings a lot of years and always had pretty good luck with them .until the last year or so . i find all the plains in the set are pitted and some of them really bad. the new ones look worse than the old ones i take of. I wish they could tell me why this is i always pay good money for them Mad

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 5:21 pm    

These had several dark spots on them. But I have had that with other strings that lasted.