The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  suggestions for simple standalone multitrack unit?
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 2:35 pm    

Jon Light wrote:

Your successful use as an interface (does that also mean as a DAW controller?) is very appealing. I just don't enjoy working basic DAW functions with a mouse. This would be a huge benefit.

I got the R16 to work as an A/D/A for my DAW, but didn't have any success getting it to work as a DAW controller. YMMV

If you can't get it to work as a controller either, this unit is extremely inexpensive:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKON2bk

Depending on which DAW you're using, and if you have an iPad, you could try this out:

http://www.neyrinck.com/v-control-pro-features

The V-Control is what I use.
I really like being able to walk around my room to listen to my mix from different vantage points.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 2:48 pm    

Yeah, Rick--I've got one of those Korgs! I even posted here about it some time ago. It is limited but yes, it does work and it is an improvement over dicking with a mouse with fingerpicks.

We'll see if I can make the Zoom work with Reaper. It's supposed to, dammit.
But that would just be gravy. I like the whole idea of working with the Zoom and then moving it to the DAW.

No Pad.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 11:02 pm    

Just a couple of comments on this topic.

Using the R16 as a controller (using the faders with a PC based system instead of the mouse): I have a friend who was told this would work also. Long story short, for whatever reason, he had nothing but problems and never did get it to work.

Solution: He sold it and bought what he wanted all along, a Tascam DP-24. He likes it.

The problem is, Tascam has discontinued 3 of the 4 "big" portastudios. The DP-24, DP-24 SD, and the DP-32 were discontinued in the fall 2014. The "SD" units have no CD drive and no MIDI.

MIDI capability: If all you are doing is using the unit for live recording you probably don't care about the MIDI port. However, if you are using it as your home studio, and want to sync up a drum machine or other device using MIDI, you're out of luck. This goes not only for the Tascam units, but I believe that the R16/R24 units also do not have MIDI.

So the question in my mind (which may deserve another topic started) is: What is the future of the stand alone porta studio? I guess the upcoming NAMM show may tell us.

The only companies that come to mind that are still doing them are Tascam, Zoom and Boss/Roland. They all seem to be scaling back in this area. And something that I just found out the other day is that Gibson, over the past couple of years, has been buying up or buying into quite a few of the "recording" companies. Tascam and Cakewalk are just two of them.

This is all potentially bad news for dinosaurs like me that liked the stand alone units.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 6:16 am    

I like stand alone units.
--a dinosaur

I've had two Zooms, mrs4 and mrs1066, and enjoyed both.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 10:00 pm    

I like the R16 as well. I picked up a second one cheap and can now link them together to record 16 tracks at once. I have no problems using it as a controller in Logic (I use a MacBook Pro and an older G5). I also have an M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro midi controller which can do the same.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 9:06 am     got my r16

I got my r16 yesterday and hope to begin experimenting soon, thanks for all the comments and advice! I will be attempting to capture tracks on the R16, and then either clean them up in Ubuntu Studio, or pass the processing duties to a friend that has great skills in Pro Tools!

With that in mind, I will be putting an AKAI DSP16 up for sale in the next day or 2 for what should be a bargain basement price. great machine, but much more complex than I need or want! Keep an eye out for the sale if you like the Akai units.

thanks to ALL Very Happy

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 10:12 pm    

One other thing about the R16 is that it is super quiet. No fans or spinning hard drive whine. Really nice for quiet acoustic tracking.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 1:19 am    

Congrats on acquiring the R16..keep it forever... ! Smile

Yesterday my band mate was over at the house, we are tracking a CD in my Pro Tools rooms to offer for sale at our acoustic gigs...he sees my R16 sitting in the box, he says, you still have that ? I said oh yeah, I don't use it often but when I need it, it's perfect. He then says.."I was a dumb Axx for selling mine"..I responded with.. "yes you were and you still are "!

The question was asked above, whats the future for stand alone recorders ?

My take would be excellent for low cost units, ( under $400) NOT excellent for high cost units. Under $400 gets a recorder in the hands of a young kid where he or she can create the worlds next best music CD while never missing a text or leaving Facebook !

The younger generations are using Ipads and Tablets, not PC's or Macs, so a standalone, priced right that has maybe 8 or more tracks will be right at home for a very long time...

When I was 16, If I had something like the R16 I would have become more famous than the Beatles ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website