The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My latest Co-pedant
Sez Adamson

South Africa
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 12:55 pm    

A couple of people have asked me about my set-up, so here is the latest version incorporating a couple of recent new additional changes. I have included some notes of explanation.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 3:53 pm    

Just one question about pedals 6a & 6b. You say you left them as both P6 changes. Your 6b changes are not part of a standard P6. Your P6a pedal is the standard P6. In fact, I've never seen your 6b changes at all on a guitar, not to say someone hasn't put them on. Are you able to test these changes on your guitar (dumb question, I know).

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 4:44 pm    

I'd use 4 to raise 3&7 to C#, myself. Combines with 5 to make an A6,5 on top.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 5:04 pm    

I agree with Lane. I would question how well those half stops work on your 6B and 7th pedals. I have never been able to feel the stop well enough on a pedal (and yes, I have tried). Nor, do I know anyone that does (although there are always exceptions). Half stops work much better on knee levers. The knee is a little more sensitive than trying to feel something through the sole of your shoe.

Sez Adamson

South Africa
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 10:29 pm    

Hello Lane & Richard.
Many thanks for your responses. I appreciate your input very much.
I struggled a lot in the past to find changes that would enable me to play the chords/notes that I wanted to play. I quickly realized that apart from the main standard changes (such as P5, P6, P7, and a few others), that there were many other changes in use, and few players used the same combination. So I figured out what I thought would work best for me.
For reasons of only having two feet (and needing three), I duplicated my pedals in the 6th and 7th positions, calling them P6a, and P6b. Now that I have combined P4 (A to B) into RKL, I don't need this duplication anymore, so I am looking for another change for Pedal 6b. I have put the C/C#/D change on Pedal 6b and am finding that there are a lot of things I can use it for. Not just for stand alone chords, but for getting more harmonic movement within chords.
I have been using the C/C#/D change with Pedal 7 on string 3 for some time, and have no difficulty with feeling the half stop. It's not something I use that often, and it saves using up another pedal or knee lever for just one change.
My bread and butter changes that I use all the time are my P5, 6, 7 & 8. My lkl, lkr, rkl (A to Bb) and rkr. The rest are used intermittently.
A while back, I put some soundcloud clips with tab on the forum, talking through some of my changes. I'll do the same thing again, but for some of my lesser used changes.
I'm currently working on a William Leavitt arrangement for "Green Dolphin Street", that is stretching me a lot. It uses the 7th string C/C#/D on P6b in several places, so lets see how it goes. This will be the acid test. I'll put my money where my mouth is and if I fall over, I'll eat humble pie.
Thanks again for your responses. I read your posts often and always find them informative.
Sez

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 4:58 am    

The ½-stop on P7 looks a great idea if you use it with P6 to get an F7aug and don't want to take up another pedal/lever with just that change.