The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New song
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2015 2:49 pm    

Just finished this song for a lady. This is BIAB with lots of editing, and I'm playing the rest ....... fiddles, steel, guitars, bass, etc... and harmony vocals. She's a great writer and singer. This is recorded in Presonus Studio One, with mostly Presonus equipment. Steel recorded direct/dry. Mastering is with Ozone 6. This was my first experience with Ozone and I have to say I love it. I can see why a lot of the pro studios are using it. If you like the song please leave some positive comments on YouTube for her. She's a very nice lady and im sure she will appreciate it.

If anyone is interested and I can find the time, I might do a video on how to put these things together in a low cost studio. Let me know and thanks for listening.

http://youtu.be/4-bZkWt6Q8Y

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2015 2:11 am    

Rick excellent job, the production is really fine. Proof positive that a low budget studio can produce very nice results in the proper hands, with the proper ears working the knobs !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Casey McKinnon

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2015 5:39 am    

I'd be interested in learning more about how you did the mastering.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2015 5:21 pm    

Casey,

The mastering was done with Ozone 6. I used the demo 10 day free trial, but I kmow I'm buying it. I mixed to peak out at around -12db to give plenty of room for mastering. Now the hi-tech part...... When mastering I just dropped in the Ozone 6 plugin and went through their assortment of presets to find one that sounded good. This includes a combination of EQ, Multi-frequency Compressors, Limiters, etc..... I thought the bass was a little strong so I pulled that frequency range down a little. It boosted the overall level up to around -3 db, which gives you the power of a commercial CD. That's about it.

I was in a studio doing fiddle over dubs a couple of months ago and the engineer showed me Ozone is what they use for mastering. This studio does some of the sound tracks for Sesame Street. I figure if Ozone is good enough for Big Bird, etc.... It's good enough for me. Laughing

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 3:38 am    

I would agree with Rick on Ozone 6, a fine package, an alternative is T-Racks, also comes in a scaled down version and an advanced version, similar to Ozone 6. Both of these packages are very powerful tools but also keep in mind it always comes back to"ears" and a reasonable set of reference monitors.

Ricks process is excellent and spot on, the more you can do in the final MIX whether it be EQ, levels etc makes the mastering process that much easier .

I happen to use T-Racks, the scaled down 4 x module package, it was on sale at Musicians Friend for $49. But make no mistake, the mastering process is 180 degrees away from the mixing process. It's all about .."does this sound any good " ? Using T-racks has caused me to go backwards and revisit the entire mixing and tracking process especially EQ curves for each track.

I have heard it said many times that a real good mastering engineer will send a track BACK to the mix engineer and tell him to fix something before returning it back for mastering .

Here's a great read, written about T-Racks but it applies to any mastering package...they all use similar
EQ's, Compression, Limiters and Clippers.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website