The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So, did you guys see the $1,200 + Maverick?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 5:49 am    

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=sho+bud+pedal+steel+guitar&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

This is insanity.. You can get a decent S10 pro model from several different makers for that kind of bread.. What can these people possibly be thinking??....

sorry guys, the link doesn't show the completed listing, just goes to sho buds on ebay ..... trust me its there if you click on completed listings.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 5:52 am    

They must be thinking money because it looks like it sold, Confused

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 6:12 am    

I guess I should have clarified my statement.. "what were they thinking".. I was referring to the person that bought this guitar at that price, and outbid others for the "priviledge".
The seller was thinking of the fastest route to the bank, and about his obvious good fortune in having so many willing suckers... You can get a sho bud 6139, maybe even a ProI for that price or maybe a $100 more.... bob

James Wolf

Georgia
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 6:23 am    

Maverick? Surely you mean a "rare antique sho bud slide peddle guitar. I plugged it in and everything seems to work."

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 6:29 am    

Link to the completed auction. Not only did it sell, but it had 36 bids. Someone really wanted that guitar.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 7:15 am    

although i would never pay that for a mav - i can see someone paying that for a clean wood body. who knows the reason...maybe someone just wanted a light weight basic 3x1 setup for gigs. many will agree these usually sound better than anything in the sub $1000 range but you better make sure it all works & you don't ever want to upgrade it.
i think a lot of new players coming to steel just recognize the ShoBud name and gravitate towards that. plus the whole vintage is better philosophy held by a lot of guitar players.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 7:51 am    

well...it was shiny and in great shape. Likely refinished. I'm getting bowled over by American made resophonic guitar prices lately myself so I'm a little desensitized.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 8:00 am    

Only two bidders past $700, which would be about right, but... "rarest and most sought Maverick because of the real Maple wood body,
raised fretboard and turned point headstock with the grover open tuners..." Somebody is going to start hot-rodding these things someday
and selling them for nostalgic prices, but fully equipped.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 8:59 am    

James M. was doing that exact thing.. had a maverick with hot-rodded underbelly and cool paint.. awesome airline guitar.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 10:28 am    

i'm ashamed that it was a fellow northern californian selling this. i guess the sixty's peace and love concept didn't quite make it as far north of the bay to napa.
i got a kick out of, 'after 17 years on ebay,i've learned how to pack and ship stuff and screw people'.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 3:00 pm    

Seller sound's like a used car salesman. Devil

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 3:19 pm    

that guitar probably sounds as good as any Pro I out there, and if buyer is not into double,triple,quadruple or what do I know what changers, or splits and half stops..it may just be a perfect guitar for him...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 3:38 pm    

Damir... That is very true. The drummer in a band I was in wanted to buy a steel guitar. He kept prodding me for info. I was ready to help him find a good guitar, as he would have outgrown that Maverick real quick. So, he shows up to a gig and says he bought one. After all my warnings about Ebay, he bought a Maverick on Ebay. Paid $1600 with shipping in a private, under-the-table transaction. I just about died. It is the all wood, raised neck guitar, and it sounds awesome. He is a great musician and learned some stuff really quick. But it's limitations finally got the best of him pretty fast, and it' now sits in his closet and he has lost all desire to learn to play.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 3:50 pm    

Richard, I don't know, todays monster guitar players are still pickin' on the same 6 strings, guys were pickin on 60 years ago, and nobody got tired yet, or let their guitar sit under the bed... I just don't believe that music cares how many strings or knee levers is on the guitar...let alone violin which has those same old 4 strings for the last few centuries, and nobody put the knee lever on it yet ....just my two cents

Db

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 4:01 pm    

Damir, the pedal steel guitar is half guitar, half machine. You can see on youtube the video of Jimmy Crawford and Lloyd Green doing Secret Love. Lloyd does as much with less machine as Jimmy did with twice the machine.
Neither approach is morally superior to the other. I need more machine than Lloyd because I think in terms of making the machine do more. Lloyd could get more out of the Maverick than most of us could out of my Zum, with 5&5 on the front neck.
The music doesn't care, but many of us need more machine.
Look at the number of stops on a pipe organ...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 7:36 pm    

Both Damir and Lane speak with straight tongue. It depends on the player, his personal needs, and what he can get out of a particular instrument.

Fact is, all the guys that drool over the old Sho~Bud permanents are wetting down the cosmetics only. The permanent changer mechanism is primarily what the Maverick operates upon.

That said, currently the market generally agrees that even 1st generation Mavs should be less than 1K, but who knows the wisdom of the market? I currently own two 1st generation Mavericks; they sound great, one I use for non-pedal gigs, and one will eventually be made into a 3/4 hot rod by James Morehead.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 4:32 am     Maverik anyone

All I'm thinking right now is would some of my Forum friends sell me a few cheap Maveriks? Wink Nah not really. steve t

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 4:34 am     Maverik anyone

I got the double post blues.

Last edited by steve takacs on 18 Mar 2015 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 5:59 am    

Don't think twice, Steve, I'm going in to hot-rodding.
Like putting a Porche engine in a VW, an Allison in a Crosley.... vrooom...

What you could do with a Carter Starter; some day in the future it could be the '53 Chevy 409,
commanding a price with better Carter parts.... Hot rods aren't cheap.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 7:45 am    

Yes, nice clean body, I get that... however someone paid the price [or very close] of a pro model Bud, for a guitar that is mechanically inferior.. Non adjustable legs, crappy changer and pull rods, and no aluminum changer support/pickup housing.. There is a reason all builders used those aluminum mounts under the changer/bridge.. They make the steel sound and sustain better for the most part.. You can call the old mavs a "tone monster" if you want, but truth is, they did NOT sound as good or sustain as well as the Pro model Bud s10.. I have had both, and there's quite a difference... I would never buy a mav for the price of a pro model, and then spend another $1200 getting it rodded, new cahnger, more levers etc.. Just doesn't seem to make much sense, but hey, what do I know???/... bob

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:39 pm    

Word has it them Sho~Boats an' Emmisen's are a bargain at any price. Laughing

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 5:45 pm    

Those extra knee levers are kind of like having a gas weed trimmer. You can cut the weeds with scissors and do the same thing. But is a whole lot easier with the weed eater!