The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can anyone help identify this Steel?
Edward Hurst

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 10:11 pm    

I have a very old steel guitar that belonged to my Dad. I am 68 years old and when I was very young watched him play this guitar with other players. He always referred to it as a Hawaiian guitar. I see a lot of steels referred to as Lap Steels. I had forgotten about having it.
It appears to be solid wood except for the cut-out for the pick-up. It is a six string and has tuners manufactured by Kluson MFG in Chicago, IL. I chased down the patent numbers from the tuners and the patent was applied for in 1931 and granted in 1936. I believe it to be from the late 1930's to early 40's.
I haven't been able to find a name on it anywhere. I have heard that sometimes the name is underneath the pick-up but I have not removed it to see.
It is painted brown and the frets and markings are painted on it. The cord is cloth wrapped like the wiring for houses were back in the day.
When my Father passed away in 1976, by the time I got to his home I found this guitar in the trash, as well as his Martin Acoustic guitar. Someone was getting ready to light the pile of items removed from his house into a fire.
He had the Steel, a Martin, a banjo, banjo mandolin and mandolin that he used to play. Someone had already taken all the other instruments. His friend from across the street had already picked up the Martin and had taken it home. I couldn't bring myself to ask him for it back because he was a good friend to my Dad.
I am considering either selling it or taking lessons to try and learn to play it. I would prefer to learn to play it but am getting pretty much up in age to attempt it. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

Edward Hurst

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 10:27 pm    

BTW, when I first brought this steel home after my Dad passed, I plugged it into an amp and it would play but the pots were noisy and had static. I am guessing they would probably clean up.
The neck appears to be straight... I could not see any warpage anywhere. Someone suggested that I try cleaning it up and refinishing it but I know what that does to an instruments value. I haven't a clue if this is even worth anything at all. I saw one that is very similar in a music store hanging on the wall for display that someone had covered with cloth, Looked kind of tacky to me.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 7:15 am    

I haven't a clue as to what it is.
However, sit down and learn to play it.
I am 71 and I started just 4 months ago and am having the time of my life.
No, I will never be great.....or even good, but it has added a lot of pleasure to my life.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 8:40 am    

This looks like a Valco product. Valco made lap steels for various companies, including Supro, Airline, Oahu, and National. This leans to the Supro line to my eye with its shape and metal plate. I think it's very early with the double blade pickup and wooden bridge. I definitely wouldn't mess with that great patina by over cleaning or refinishing it. Unless it turns out to be some holy grail or something, I think it's worth a couple of hundred or so...

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 9:42 am    

O.K., a search of eBay turned this up. This is your guitar, labeled "Marwin" on the headstock, and according to the seller, manufactured by Harmony. It's in better shape than yours, but keep an eye on the auction and it should give you a good idea of market value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-VINTAGE-30-40-MARWIN-LAP-STEEL-W-OHSC-PLAYS-SOUNDS-GREAT-/281120413331?pt=Guitar&hash=item4174151693

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 10:00 am    

Yes, my first thought was Harmony. I think Harmony, like Valco, would brand lap steels under any name the customer-teacher-studio-company wanted. As long the customer placed a certain minimum order, say 50 or 100 units, they would put any logo you wanted on the headstock. For example, some unusual brand logos like Mozart, McKinstry, English Electronics, Bronson, and Alkire appear on Valco built lap steels. Harmony probably did the same thing back in the day.

Edward Hurst

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 4:30 pm    

Scott Thomas wrote:
O.K., a search of eBay turned this up. This is your guitar, labeled "Marwin" on the headstock, and according to the seller, manufactured by Harmony. It's in better shape than yours, but keep an eye on the auction and it should give you a good idea of market value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-VINTAGE-30-40-MARWIN-LAP-STEEL-W-OHSC-PLAYS-SOUNDS-GREAT-/281120413331?pt=Guitar&hash=item4174151693

This is indeed the same guitar that I have. I have looked on ebay until I was going blind but did not see this one. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the help.

Larry, I would dearly love to learn to play it. It would do my heart good (and it truly needs it) to be able to play the guitar as I saw my Dad do it when I was young. It used to have a case, as well as finger and thumb picks. As I remember it also had a nickle slide bar, not a stainless. If I had that now it would be worth much more than the guitar would be.

I am wondering if I could find anyone that gives lessons on the steel? Thanks for everyone's input.

Ed

Edward Hurst

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 7:05 pm    

I just noticed a block at the top left of the page that says INSTRUCTION. Out of all the instructional books listed, can anyone recommend one over another?

Ed

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 8:13 am    

" I think Harmony, like Valco, would brand lap steels under any name the customer-teacher-studio-company wanted. As long the customer placed a certain minimum order, say 50 or 100 units"

A lot of companies did that. I have a Vega Tubaphone banjo with a metal Wurlitzer plaque inside,

'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Edward Hurst

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:28 am    

I removed the strings this morning and cleaned the body of the Harmony, made a big difference. Actually made it look very presentable. I hated to put the old strings back on it, but not knowing what I will do with it, I didn't want to spend a lot on new strings.
The strings are dead anyhow. They have been on the guitar for about 45 years. I wish I knew someone that could show me a little about playing it because I really don't want to get rid of it.
It doesn't make sense for me to keep it not knowing how to use it. I will not get rid of it unless I find someone else that will appreciate it.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:33 am    

There are tons of courses available, both in print, dvd, and on youtube.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:57 am    

Edward, here's my suggestion:

Click the Instruction link above. Go to Lap Steel and choose Basic C6th Nonpedal Lap Steel Method by DeWitt Scott.

Then click the Strings link above. Go to Six String Steel Guitar and choose John Pearse #7380 Hawaiian Lap Steel, C6 Tuning.

Order these two from b0b. If you don't already have them, you might want to get some picks and a bar also.

If you are not sure about all that, send b0b an email with a link to this thread and I will bet that he will help you put an order together.

m2¢w. ymmv. hth.

Edward Hurst

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 1:46 pm    

Thanks Michael, I was hoping someone would chime in with a suggestion on which course or books to purchase. I am on my was now to look for a Tone Bar. So many different styles to choose from. Considering something like the Stevens #345.

Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 3:07 pm     Steel Guitar Instruction

Mr. Boards, at George Boards has some excellent instruction DVDs. very reasonably priced, that can help you get started

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 4:37 pm    

Hi Edward, Like Larry said you're never too old to learn. I'm 58 and have been playing only a year now, I love playing, it's fun and very enriching.

Here is a link to the Dunlop steel bar, patterned from the bar the great Jerry Byrd used. I highly recommend this tone bar for a lap steel.

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/D-918-tone-bar/