The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing What Instrument Plays The Melody
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 5:36 pm    

I have entered the melody line for one of my songs. Does anyone know how to change what instrument plays the melody with the rhythm track? Right now it is using a synthetic sounding guitar. It sounds like crap. I am making a rhythm track for someone and they cannot follow the song without something playing the melody line. I was hoping for a nice sounding guitar or piano playing the single note melody. I have looked through about everything and I'm not seeing anything that addresses this. I will keep looking but I was hoping someone would have a quick answer.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 3:49 am    

Right below the line with File, Edit, Styles, Opt. etc, you will see a line with the instruments listed - Combo,bass,piano,drums,guitar strings,melody,soloist and thru.

Click on "melody" and look at the box directly below that line, on the left side of the screen. It will show the instrument currently being used for the melody. That box has a down arrow on the right side of it and beside that there is a box that says GM2. Click on that and then in the drop down box that opens, you can select an instrument you want for the melody from the list for pianos, guitars, organ etc.

Hope this helps.

Robert Tripp

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 5:31 am    

Often times the pro midi tracks will have a flute or a synth playing the melody line especially if it is used to emulate vocals.

http://www.reverbnation.com/roberttrippgospel

I might be a beginner now, but someday I'm gonna steel the show.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 6:15 am    

Graham I take it you are using an earlier version than 2015. I get a different box when I click on the melody. I don't see where it gives me an option to change instruments. I'm only getting options for selecting the best real tracks or for midi selection. So far I haven't figured out how to get anything to just play the simple melody line.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 11:06 am    

I found the way to change instruments. On BIAB 2015 there is a drop down arrow on the mixer window on the right side of the screen. There is one for each track. Choose the melody track. When the box opens choose select midi patch. This opens another box which displays several instruments to choose from. Or in that window you can choose "select higher bank patch from .pat file". This opens a box from BIAB files and shows about a hundred instruments to choose from. I still haven't found where I can choose a real instrument to play the line. That might not be possible. The tech guys are supposed to be getting back to me on that one.