The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Jerry Brightman
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 7:12 am    

Massive heart attack in his sleep Monday.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 7:34 am    

Many years ago at St. Louis Jerry followed Buddy Emmons on the show one night. At the conclusion of his flawless set he had raised the bar even for Buddy. It was an outstanding set. That was last time I saw him play.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 7:44 am    

Just heard this, very sad, Jerry was a fine guy, always a pleasure to be around plus very blessed with talent. We are all gonna miss Jerry.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 8:20 am    

I'm so sad to hear the news of Jerry's death. I hadn't heard from Jerry in quiet some time, had been wondering about him. He was a friend and a gentleman. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. May Jerry rest in peace. Seems as though I heard too, that Jerry's older brother just recently died.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 8:39 am    

Wow , sad to hear . Jerry was a good guy . He called me a while back and we must have talked for over a half hour . It's probably to early for any funeral plans . I assume he still lived in Ohio . So i hope when someone has the info. they will post it .

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 8:41 am    

I hear that the funeral will be Monday. I will post details as soon as I hear them.
Jerry was living in Cuyahoga Falls, a suburb just North of Akron.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 8:57 am    

What!? Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Jerry was a good pal, though we hadn't been in touch for the past few years. RIP, my friend. Condolences to his dear family.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 9:07 am    

This is sad news. When I had heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in March 2001, Jerry came to visit me. He waited in the hallway until I was taken to my room from ICU. We had never met but it was very uplifting to have him drop in on me. He gave me an Emmons 14 hole bellcrank which I later had gold plated and it is mounted under my prize blue lacquer LeGrande II with no pulls hooked to it as a reminder of Jerry and his much appreciated visit. RIP friend.
Jerry

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 9:36 am     Jerry Brightman

This is tragic news, for us, to hear. We held a special place in our hearts for Jerry. Jerry, had quit playing steel guitar for a lot of years, when my son, Frank Rogers asked L T Zinn and myself to get in touch with Jerry and see if he would come to Grand Rapids Mi and play our steel guitar show. Jerry agreed and did come and forever after that he and I always joked about how we got him out of retirement and back at playing. We called him "One of our boys" My tears are showing up today. R I P dear one, I will always miss you.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 9:40 am    

Dear God this is SAD news....great player and friend!!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 9:48 am    

Very sad and shocking news.

I first met Jerry at a Michigan Steel show. He introduced himself to me in the parking lot as I was unloading and said he's a former pro (BIG Understatement!) and looking to get back into playing shows.

He certainly did that and more.

RIP Big Guy.

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 10:11 am    

Jerry and I were buddies going back to his work at the Wheeling Jamboree in the mid 70s. He was a talented musician and a great guy, he will be sorely missed.

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 12:02 pm    

So sad to hear of Jerry's passing. Met Jerry at the Dallas show a couple of times, a true gentleman. Great player, one of the best at speed picking I have heard. R.I.P.

Leslie Elliott

Madison, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 1:45 pm     Jerry Brightman

Wow - this is so sad - unbelievable. I first met Jerry when I helped Shot Jackson get him the job with Buck Owens. We saw each other quite a bit when he would come into Sho-Bud then later at the steel guitar shows. Ron and I send our prayers and sympathies to his family. May he rest in peace.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 2:11 pm    

This is very sad news. I spent a bit of time with Jerry at the ISGC some years ago and he was just a delightful guy to be around.

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 2:19 pm    

Sorry to hear this bad news - Jerry was a great musician and great guy. He always took time on his breaks at local gigs to stop and talk. My prayers are with his wife and family.

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 2:33 pm     Jerry Brightman

So sorry to hear this terrible news about my friend Jerry Brightman. I am very sad, Jerry was a great guy, and a heck of a steel player. Another Buckaroo gone but not forgotten... RIP my friend..

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 2:37 pm    

So sad to hear. R.I.P. my friend.

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 2:38 pm     Jerry Brightman. RIP

What a loss, I met Jerry at the Wheeling Jamboree late 60, he was very young and was the staff steel player as I remember. Not even old enough to drive yet. Man he sure could play the steel. he was another Paul franklin., also met him again when I was on tour working for Dottie West some where in Kansas . My Deepest Condolences to His Family and fans ,will never forget him that's for sure. RIP My friend. Rudy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 4:16 pm     Jerry

Prayers out to the family.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 4:42 pm    

Rest in peace, Jerry.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 5:00 pm    

Sorry to hear of Jerry's passing.

In the summer of '72, as I was on my way moving to California, I stopped in Nashville to visit the Sho-Bud store on Broadway. I had been playing steel a couple years at the time and I was looking for a new gtr to replace my Maverick. They warmly welcomed at the store and brought me up to the shop on the 3rd floor. While I was there in walks Duane Marrs and this young guy, looking about 15 at the most. He proceeded to sit down at a new Professional and just tore it up. It was the first time I had seen a D10 Bud up close, and the first time I saw anyone play who really knew what they were doing.

After I picked my 21 year-old jaw up off the floor, I was introduced to Buck Owens' steel player...Jerry Brightman.
To say that he left an impression on me would be an understatement.

Years later, around 2000, I ran into Jerry at a Yoakam gig, and told him that story.
We had a good time telling and hearing stories about steels, Buck, and everything else under the sun.
That day, he mentioned to me that he had put his steel career on the back burner to take care of his family, and my hat's off to him for that.
I wish I'd stayed more in touch in the years since.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 5:01 pm    

So sad to hear this. My prayers to all. J.R.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 5:26 pm    

So sorry to hear this, I met him once at a Dallas show, up in his room laughing and talking steel. RIP

Phone: 971-219-8533

Rick Troyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 6:56 pm    

My condolences to the family. I first met Jerry at the Wheeling Jamboree. He was the producer at the time. Scared out of my mind as it was the first time on such a large stage Jerry took our lead players place for the second set. I think he wanted to ease the tension. Didn't help. But is a fond memory. Many years later our friendship grew through the Hummingbird Steel Guitar Celebrations. Jerry was always willing to do what he could to help promote the shows and ultimately the steel guitar. Jerry was a talented musician and reached the top of his profession playing with Buck and doing some HeeHaw shows. He will be missed. Prayers for the family.
Rick Troyer