The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Considering a P/P Emmons - Need advice
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 8:26 am    

Chris Grigsby wrote:
I've read this thread a few times and am wondering if someone can actually describe what they mean when they say a P/P has a distinctive tone.

Better sustain? Brighter? Darker?

I know tone is subjective and the only real way to understand is to play one myself, but as someone who runs a recording studio, I'm keen to get a better notion of what all the p/p fuss is about.

Thanks!

i'm sure you will get lots of replies on this - and there is PLENTY of discussion in the archives.
I have gone to several large steel shows and really listened to the various brands of steel guitars out there to see for myself, if in an average listening environment, (i.e., not a studio), if i could tell the PPs from the rest.
the answer most certainly = yes you can if you know what to listen for. if you don't ....then you won't.

PPs have a very clear and focused sound with a bit of natural bite (verses eq'd bite). i have heard it mentioned they have a 'growl' also, but can't really say anything about that. they cut thru the mix very well and that is a big deal imo, for a steel guitar - not to muddy up the mix of the band. some of these PP will take your head off, Buddy Emmons famous PP wasn't called 'the Blade' for nothing.

i call this a mid-range honk with excellent clarity all around - never dull or muddy like many other brands. you can think of the telecaster vs les paul sound as a reference example. i think this is due to many design factors, people often site the solid stops that actually have the finger contact the body...true, and you hear this in other changer designs that are similar - for instance, my ShoBud permanent is very PPish in tone (though much more limited) and early Marlens have a similar, but different character to them.

this is just an observation of mine, i don't know if this is any connection with the PP vs AP guitars, but when players started moving to AP setups, you also find the amp manufactures adding A LOT more EQ options to the amps. i never really had to EQ my PP, nor my Perm. the APs seem to 'need' a little more help

Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 10:23 am    

Boy that is one great looking LLII !!!
I know they sound great. Almost a good as a Push/Pull. Laughing

Cheers!
Benton

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 11:38 am    

won't have any of those annoying push pull problems with that!