The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone playing the Milkman Mini
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 4:59 pm    

Would like to hear from anyone that is using the Milkman 40 Pedal Steel Mini 15" speaker. I very much like the design and compact size and light weight lbs.
Have always like the tube sound. Does this get close to that famous Fender Twin sound? I played a Twin with a 15" JBL for a long time. Thanks to anyone for your input in advance. Thanks, J.R.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 6:41 pm    

I have the 'Mini' with an Eminence EPS-12C, fantastic amp. Had Rick Johnson build a matching 15" speaker cab and loaded it with the EPS-15C model Eminence neo. Tone wise, the combination of the two together are as good as it gets.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 8:56 pm    

I've had my Mini for less than a month. It's a great amp. Tonally I think it is similar to a Twin except it's smoother and creamier with a better high end. I have a 15 JBL D130F in the amp, and prefer that over the Telonics. But the amp sounds really good with the Telonics. My amp weighs slightly over 42 pounds with the JBL.

With only 40 watts, you'll need to be able to mic the amp into the house system, unless you play at modest volumes. At around 5 or 6 on the volume control the effects of tube compression become apparent. That volume is still fairly reasonable, whereas to get tube compression on the Twin, you've really got to be playing a lot louder than I want to play most of the time.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 10:52 pm    

I use a mini for quite a few gigs. I have a 12" JBL D120F in it and I love it. It is more focused, balanced, responsive and just sounds way better than my old Twins. For volume it is pretty loud. Right between an old Deluxe Reverb and a Twin.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 5:58 pm    

Thanks you guys for your input. I know that I would really like it but they just cost so much. J.R.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 7:54 pm    

Probably better than a Twin - although my Twin days are long past, so comparing isn't as easy....but it makes sense, Tim picks the best components, builds and tests them himself...not a production line amp! Very pretty sound...the tubes talk.

And a Tim has pointed out, if you take inflation into account, his amps are CHEAPER in relative dollars than the good Twins were, back when they were built right...