The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud leg diameter
Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 7:04 am    

I posted about a tuner leg clip for my PSG last year. I thought about making my own....one that would work for my Korg CA-1 and Korg WT-10A.

I'm thinking about using a T connection for PVC pipe and making a 90 off of it, then screwing a piece of plywood for a platform.

The problem I'm having is finding the right size T connection to use. I have no tool that I can think of to measure the diameter of the leg.

Any suggestions?

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 8:50 am    

Buy a caliper from Ace Hardware for 20$.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 9:59 am    

Your Sho Bud leg should be .875" outside diameter.
A piece of 3/4" PVC can be cut to snap tightly over the leg to use as a base for mounting various things. If using a T, refer to the above diameter.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 10:04 am    

FYI...875" equals 7/8". Here's an example of a leg adapter in use. The amount of pipe that you remove will determine the tension on the leg.

I'd like to see what you come up with for mounting your tuner. Please share a photo!

Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 10:32 am    

Darrell Birtcher wrote:
Your Sho Bud leg should be .875" outside diameter.
A piece of 3/4" PVC can be cut to snap tightly over the leg to use as a base for mounting various things. If using a T, refer to the above diameter.

I've tried a 3/4" T before. It snapped on tightly, but once it was on, it was too large....

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 2:35 pm    

Maybe glue on a piece of foam in the back inside of the "clamp?"

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 3:18 pm    

I made one just like you describe, I used a 1/2" pvc tee. 1/2" pvc pipe is about 7/8" outside diameter, the same as the legs. You'll probably have to make a couple to get it just right. I used that for a while and then went to a photo light stand clamp, one that has a screw clamp. I found it on ebay. That worked better and looked better too. The tees are cheap, if you want to try them.

Jason Bergeron

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2015 3:15 pm     No success... yet.

So far, I've tried a 3/4" and 1/2" "T", those don't work. 3/4" is too large and the 1/2" is too tight, it won't snap on. I'm all out of ideas, since I'm not a skilled machinist or craftsman. I did think about adding some caulk to the 3/4" "T", but I'd rather have something more trustworthy. The last thing I (and I think anyone else) would want, is to have the tuner fall and break.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2015 3:49 pm    

Do like John said and put a strip of 3/8" by 1/8" weather strip foam with the sticky already on it, just put the appropriate length and apply it as a lengthwise strip down the inside back of the 3/4" T.That should also keep it from slipping on the leg.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2015 3:59 pm    

Darrell Birtcher wrote:
FYI...875" equals 7/8". Here's an example of a leg adapter in use. The amount of pipe that you remove will determine the tension on the leg.

I'd like to see what you come up with for mounting your tuner. Please share a photo!

Hey Darrell,
Where'd you get this cool bar holder?
JB

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2015 6:05 am    

The 1/2" tee is the correct size, but the problem is that the plastic is very thick and not flexible. You have to cut out exactly the right amount in order to snap it onto the leg. Like I mentioned above, you will probably need to make several before you get it just right. It's time consuming and probably not worth the effort. I used one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Type-Clamp-Clip-Bracket-with-1-4-Copper-Screw-Mount-for-Boom-Arm-Light-Stand-/201273928068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edcdc6984
It looks better and works well. But the screw will eventually go through the rubber cap, and then it will mar the leg. I removed the cap, put a penny behind it and re-installed the rubber. Make a small bracket, I used aluminum, remove the stud, attach the bracket to the clamp with a screw and nut. Use Velcro to attach the tuner.