The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zumsteel encore or used pro-model?
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 12:51 pm    

How does the Zumsteel encore hold up against pro models? I have about $1800 for a new steel guitar (can't go over $1800), and could get a new encore 4x5 with detachable pad, or find a used S-10 pro model 3x4 somewhere on the forum. Is the encore that comparable with pro models?

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 3:17 pm    

Soundwise yes,playability yes,weight yes, go for it

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 4:32 pm    

That Encore is all the steel you will ever need.. Its quite loaded!
However, you can find a lot of very nice steels in mint used condition for that price or sometimes less.. It depends on how long you can wait I suppose..
Just know that you can get a lot of steel guitar for the available money you have to spend.. The Encore is certainly a reasonable choice.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 6:07 pm    

I play the simple-minded cousin, the Stage One. I can say the better I get, the better it sounds. And lately, it's been sounding pretty dang good! Seriously pro sounding steels. I have the money to buy a more expensive model, a true vintage or classic, but it might not have the play-ability of Doug's builds. If I ever have the need to give up slanting and try some additional pedal or knee action, I'd probably get an Encore over anything else. I've been spoiled by Zumsteg and Ernest.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 11:14 pm    

Well, it's my lucky day! Had an order in for an encore delivery in May.... but won't have to wait that long any more. Thanks Lee Rider!

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 2:50 am    

Congratulations, David! My wife was remarking last night how good my steel was sounding, and she's pretty stingy with her compliments! Let us know when you get it.

Paul Heinonen

Ishpeming, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 7:46 am    

I also play the Zum Stage One. I was in the same situation a year ago. All things considered, I went with the Stage One because I knew what I was getting. With a used "pro" model it's a crap shoot. The Stage One/Encore comes with a warranty and Doug is a great guy to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 11:41 am    

I am also interested in this.. a nice 2003 Carter 5 and 3.. compared to a recent (year old Encore)with the same set up.. would there be enough difference to pay the premium for the Carter?

Thanks!

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 12:28 pm    

The Zum Encore is a pro guitar in every way. My Grandson has one and loves it. I had one but sold it only because I can't make it without a C6th neck.
Jerry

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 12:32 pm    

Hal Braun wrote:
I am also interested in this.. a nice 2003 Carter 5 and 3.. compared to a recent (year old Encore)with the same set up.. would there be enough difference to pay the premium for the Carter?

Thanks!

Probably not in terms of playability or build quality.. However, Carters were and still are used by some of the best pro players at one point or another.
Something to be said about that,,,

If the prices were around the same, I would buy the Carter.. If the Encore was substantially less money, I would grab it instead of the Carter. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 3:21 pm    

About a year ago I bought the Encore with arm rest,extra pedal and new foot pedal volume delivered to my front door for less than $1800.00 I would not take $2500. for it.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 10:13 am    

For a beginner guitar, it's NOT EVEN CLOSE. Get the Encore.
A dealer probably won't sell a guitar for less, and an individual seller may not warranty that it's all adjusted properly (that's why dealers charge more, they go through their guitars), and a mechanically ready-to-play guitar is crucial.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 10:22 am    

Lane,
You should write a review of your Encore for us to read. I always enjoy learning from others hands on experience.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 11:29 am    

I don't have one. I've seen one up close. I know Bruce, he built my main guitar for me. If he designed it and trusts Doug to build it, that's good enough for me.

I was not only endorsing the Encore, but saying that any new player should get either a new guitar or a second hand guitar that
1) a dealer/mechanic has gone through and will warranty, or
2) one that an experienced player has test-driven and approves as fit for service.

Too many used guitars need work to become playable

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 12:21 pm    

I will give you a review of my having Zum Encore now for exactly a year. It has four pedals and five knee levers and is set up similar to my 2006 ZumSteel D10 which I have not played since I got the Encore. The one difference is the humbucker pickup that Doug offers. I play out about twice a month and am constantly getting compliments on the sound I get. I use Live Steel Strings (Cyrogenic) and the guitar stays in tune better than it's big brother no matter the temperature. The pedal action is a little bit softer than my big Zum.I would put it up against any pedal steel on the market as to sound and playability.