The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finally found a 14 string!!!
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 10:00 am    

Well, after an exhaustive search for a several years off and on, I finally received the 14 string I was hoping to find thanks to two of our very fine forum members. One that helped me search and put me in touch with another member that had exactly what I was looking for. Ross and David are top notch people!

Anyway, here is my "new to me" Williams 14 string universal keyless. It's a beauty and has amazing tone and sustain. The current pickup is an EMG active pickup, but the previous owner was kind enough to send me the original single coil to choose which I preferred. So the journey begins and this will become my primary guitar.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 10:01 am    

She's a beauty David.
Good luck. Don't get your fingers tangled up in all those strings Laughing

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 11:12 am    

man, that's nice!
you ought to be able to play anything on that once you figure it out. what a great compact package.

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 5:38 pm    

Nice! The guitars are great, and Bill is always willing to help out with advise and parts for making additions, etc.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 6:03 pm    

I'm jealous.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 6:36 pm    

But put strings on it first Laughing

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 8:01 pm    

Thanks guys! It's a beauty and sounds fantastic. It had strings on it John when I got it but WAY too complicated of a tuning for me! So, I am in the process of taking everything apart and resetting it with a double tuning that I've been wanting to try. It has 9 pedals and 7 knees so no problem configuring anything I want to try. Williams are very easy to set up and I searched for a long time to find a steel like this and really happy that two members helped me out. Its a one of a kind for sure!
Dave

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 11:44 pm    

Id be interested to know what tuning and setup you're going for?

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 3:26 am    

High Jason...More likely E9th/B6th...with a couple more pulls with the extra 2 strings and extra pedals. Most uni's come with 5 knees and 7 pedals...some have 8 pedals. Look up David Wright for fab universal playing although David Wright has a B flat 6th tuning, but he mixes the 6th sounds and the 9th sounds soooo well. My fav player. Well done David on waiting for the 14 stringer you wanted. Bill Rudolph's a great builder. I saw some of his early work in 1982 in Minneapolis. A guy I met (Ernie Teppo) had a padded deck S-10.

Mickty "scars" Byrne U.K.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 5:38 am    

Whoa!

9 & 7? Wow Dave, That has to be the ultimate in versatility. I admire your courage.

I had a 12 string Uni with only 3 & 5 and at times I was bangin' my head in frustration.
I ran back to my 10 string so fast Joe Wright sent me a sympathy card.

By all means keep us up on how you set it up and definitely give us some sound clips
when you get up to speed.

Godspeed Bro.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 8:15 am    

Glad this deal worked out so well David and that you're digging the Williams.
Have fun!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 1:34 pm    

David Higginbotham wrote:
...resetting it with a double tuning that I've been wanting to try.
There's a clue in there - can't wait to find out what he means...

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 4:32 pm    

I'd give Dan Burnham with BMI a call. He plays a 14 string with Julian Tharpes

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 6:04 pm    

If I had to re-string a steel with 14 strings I would end up
with something that looked a bit like a 6 inch ball of steel wool.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 7:03 pm    

Bill Rudolph builds a fine guitar, and is a super nice guy. I've had two of his guitars and wish I still had both. Smile
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2015 7:35 pm    

Guys, thanks! I owe this to Ross Shafer for putting me touch with David Phillips who had the Williams for many years. David has moved to using an Excel U-14 so decided to part with this very nice Williams. David is a MONSTER player in case you haven't had the chance to hear him!!!

Both Ross and David are top notch guys and really glad we are fortunate enough to have such fine members. I sent Bill Rudolph an email Friday night with a couple of questions and he has already responded. That's the kind of guy he is! I had an early model U-12 Williams several years ago but it didn't quite have enough to do what I had in mind so I parted with it as I was totally lost on a universal tuning. But I realized then how nice these Williams steels are and this one is no exception. Its as versatile and easy to make changes as any steel I've had.

I am constantly trying new tunings rather than actually spending time accomplishing one, but I enjoy the challenge...

In Cajun music we primarily play an open G tuning. Depending on the accordion used that may change to open F or A. Although I'm lacking in E-9th skills, I do the best I can. My theory was I would like to combine all of these tunings on one neck so as to be able to switch even during the same ride. My planned tuning is listed below and have double duty on two pedals and one knee. I eliminate the 9th D string like a universal and can either add it to a knee or use the 5th string on the G tuning section. I will also have various changes such as a knee and pedal to drop the first 4 strings to open F for certain songs where an open tuning is needed. Open A is simply A&B pedals using strings 8,9,10,11. The pad on the body gives me the ability to play comfortably on the lower strings. All strings can be used regardless of the key and no capo needed as I think they kill tone and sustain. Will this work? Don't know but I'm giving it a try and with lots of practice maybe I will be successful. Wish me luck! Winking

G
D
B
G
D
F#
D#
G#
E
B
G#
F#
E
B

Rick Rian

Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 5:54 am    

she's a beauty, David! Surprised

Stanley Benoit

New Iberia,Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 4:34 pm     Steel

You beat me to it on a 14. I had it on a D12 I used to own. Good luck Dave let me know how it works.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 6:00 pm    

David. What are the pedal and knee levers doing?

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 6:27 pm    

Quote:
What are the pedal and knee levers doing?

Richard, I haven't really figured that part out yet. I will have to do a lot of trial and error first to see what I can come up with. So far I've tuned the strings but not overly comfortable with my picking. Maybe some time and a lot of practice it will get better. If not, I will have to decide whether or not this is an experiment I want to continue. Rolling Eyes

Stanley, check your email please!

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 8:40 am    

Keep us posted. I love the stuff that you guys in Louisiana are doing. I love cajun music and it's nice to hear steel guitar in it.

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:41 pm    

Well, after extensive trial and error I'm sad to say that this isn't going to work for what I wanted. Not that the Williams isn't capable! It's one of the most versatile steels I've ever worked with and so easy to make changes on. It will take me way to long to get used to the setup and too much time required and not enough to spare. So, look for this Williams likely to be placed in the for sale section, unfortunately! If someone is looking for a lacquered "one of a kind" Williams in excellent condition at a very good price with a ton of extra parts. Stay tuned!
Dave

David Phillips

San Francisco CA , USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 7:13 pm    

Hey David,
Glad to hear you are finding a way to make it work.
David P

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2015 8:19 am    

David Higginbotham wrote:
It will take me way to long to get used to the setup and too much time required and not enough to spare. So, look for this Williams likely to be placed in the for sale section, unfortunately!

Can't say I didn't see that coming. Confused

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2015 9:07 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Quote:
Can't say I didn't see that coming.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained! Were it not for the recent and future medical issues along with the corresponding expenses I really think I could make this work, in time. Surely I have the guitar with the capabilities to make it work. So money spent and lost on the attempt to experiment but at least someone else will get a great guitar at a great price and hopefully be able to do with it what I wish I could.