The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pettinggill Southernbelle
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2015 8:08 am    

Sad With sadness I am putting my Pettinggill 6 string custom lap w/duesenberg tailpiece,and a custom Hatten tweed case.1500.00 FIRM. I have too many guitars and have been working on the pedal steel.
.I have hardly used the guitar as I got my Pedal MSA shortly after I got this guitar.This guitar is ONE solid piece of sapple mahogany,30+ coats of hard rubbed oil.Ask for Carl.[/img]
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 9:51 am    

Someone is going to get a great steel from a great guy! It was a pleasure to work with you Carl and best of luck with going pedal.

To expand on some details, this was made from one single piece of some gorgeous Sapele that I had stashed back. The pickups are some custom winds based off a 50's style bobbin / magnet structure, but wound for less twang and more of just a big and rich voice with 4 way rotary switching.

Here are a few pics from when it was new that show it off a little better.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 9:54 am     Lap steel

Very Happy Thanks for the extra push,and pics.Someone will have a lot of pleasure from this guitar.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 12:01 pm     Pettingill Southern Belle

For those who are not familiar with his work, Tom Pettingill builds terrific instruments (I've got two and third is in the works), blending his knowledge of various woods, the tone qualities of different pickups and steel guitar history. Tom creates very playable and great sounding guitars. If I didn't have another one coming, this Southern Belle would be very tempting...

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 3:15 pm    

Wow nice

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 10:09 am    

Bump for a fabulous steel.

I have 001, in mahogany, with a slightly different pup configuration and No Dusenberg tailpiece.

Love my Belle.

You can't go wrong with a Pettingill.

Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 5:15 pm     Beautiful Guitar

Wow that is some beautiful looking guitar. The wood selection and grain or nothing but stunning..

Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2015 6:15 am    

Bump