The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Harp brand PSG?
Todd Higgins

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 5:41 pm    

Found this guitar locally. I'm really a guitar player dabbling in PSG, so I'm not an even a pretend expert. But even Google fails me when I try to research the brand.

This seems to be something that would be decent to learn on. It's 3x4 all pull guitar. Any opinions/suggestions.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 6:22 pm    

That inlay is awesome. Love it. More pics, including the undercarriage, would be nice. It looks like a nice guitar, but I have never heard of that brand.

Todd Higgins

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 6:28 pm    

I should clarify, I don't own it. Just found it for sale. I don't have a picture of the undercarriage.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2013 10:12 pm    

I've never heard of a Harp steel, but, that doesn't mean a hill of beans to anybody.
It looks like a nice steel and 3+4 is plenty to learn on. As long as it stays in tune and the pulls work correctly and hold their pitch consistently, it looks like a good starter. But, having said that, everything should work as smoothly as possible with no hang ups. If the pickup is weak, it can always be changed out for a better one at not too high a price. I see it's got 2000 on the pedal rack. If that's the year it was made, then, it's 13 yrs old and shouldn't be to worn, but, that remains to be seen. If and when you get to see the undercarriage, check it for any rod binding and or loose mechanical connections. Most of the time they can be corrected easily. Also check to see that the changer fingers move easily and that they don't bind. That could be a problem. But, sometimes a little lubrication can free them up. If it all pans out good and the price is right, then move on it. I have no idea what a ballpark figure would be on this steel. To me, and I'm no expert on unknown steels, I'd say probably around $400 to $600. But, again I just don't know for sure. I'm certain others may know more about this steel and quote a more precise price.
Having said all that, if it doesn't play well and clunks and bangs and doesn't hold pitch, walk away and look for something newer and more desirable. I hope I've helped a little.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 1:46 am    

The inlay features the 6 pointed Jewish Star. I wonder if the builder was sending a message.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 6:15 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
The inlay features the 6 pointed Jewish Star. I wonder if the builder was sending a message.

I'd tend to doubt it.Seems to me that the Star of David is more associated with organizations and Israeli government entities than with individuals making a personal statement of faith.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 7:28 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:

I'd tend to doubt it.Seems to me that the Star of David is more associated with organizations and Israeli government entities than with individuals making a personal statement of faith.

Actually, Dave, there is all kinds of jewelry (no pun intended) that features the Star of David (a quick scan of eBay will confirm that). Presumably they are worn by folks who are making a personal statement of faith.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 8:00 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Dave Hopping wrote:

Actually, Dave, there is all kinds of jewelry (no pun intended) that features the Star of David (a quick scan of eBay will confirm that). Presumably they are worn by folks who are making a personal statement of faith.

I stand corrected.Thanks,Jim

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 8:45 am    

That binding, which I have heard called "stars and bars", was common on a lot of '60s guitars, including Marlins and Sho~Buds. Winking

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 9:37 am    

seeing the bottom will tell alot of things. the changer (single raise/lower) is similar to a sho-bud, but would need a rack n barrel or similar pull train to make it work right. curious. could be a usable guitar.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 9:15 pm     Harp Steel

I live in Middletown, Ohio. If that is one of the few steels that my friend built; then the name is correct. His name is Bill Harp. He passed away about 8 years ago. He started building steel guitars with a friend of his named Hap Hammond. They lived around the Trenton, Ohio area. Later on, Bill moved to Middletown, Ohio and started to build steel guitars with Terrill Scribner. Where did you obtain this steel? Bill was very well known amongst local and more prominent musicians. He also built guitars for Kenny Price, Bobby Grove, Wynona Judd, and Bobby Lewis (The guitar that looks like a lute-check it out on you-tube). The logo of Bill's name was kept very simple; letters that spelled out his name and then lacquered over. It looks as though you have a very finely built guitar there. Cherish it; if indeed it was the one built by my wonderful friend; I would consider purchasing it.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2013 8:39 am    

Looks very nice...wish I could stumble up on something like that.

John Maggard

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 7:53 am    

This is cool...I stopped in here to search this model after seeing it - or it's twin, since it apparently was made locally - in a local music store in Cincinnati. It's an LDG setup 3/4 with Shobud barrels & 2 hole pullers underneath; the headstock, changer and general body design look like standard Shobud items, with an Emmons fretboard, just like the one pictured here. I didn't think to look at the pedalboard but did tip it over to see the undercarriage and HARP name in the front; don't recall seeing this binding but the color looks right. I played it a bit unplugged and all the changes seem intact but I wasn't interested in buying & didn't ask about a price - if anyone is interested let me know and I'll hook you up with the store! John jpmagg3@fuse.net