The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal question.
Marty Forrer

New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 2:54 pm    

Help. I find I cant hold my foot up over the pedals, and I was thinking about building a board for my foot, to reduce the angle. Then I thought, well that's not fixing the cause. I measured my pedal height, and they were 4" approx. off the floor. I discovered I can drop the pedal bar down about 1 3/4" and re-adjust the pedal linkages and operation. I'd like if a few folks could tell me how far off the floor their pedals are at rest please, just to know if I'm on the right track. Cheers.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 3:07 pm    

1½" on one guitar, 2" on the other. No preference.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 3:19 pm    

To me, 4" is way too high. Somewhere between 2 1/2" and 3" is more normal, I think. (This will depend on the guitar, and how it's set up.) Of course, most guitars allow you to adjust the pedal height at the lower end of the pedal rod. Is this a home-made guitar?

Marty Forrer

New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 5:10 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
To me, 4" is way too high. Somewhere between 2 1/2" and 3" is more normal, I think. (This will depend on the guitar, and how it's set up.) Of course, most guitars allow you to adjust the pedal height at the lower end of the pedal rod. Is this a home-made guitar?

This is a New Zealand made Lomax, I suspect probably made in the 70s or 80s. I have completely rebuilt it. I need to have the legs extended in order to get my legs under (with the volume pedal)but it puts the pedal bar up too high, uncomfortably so.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 5:17 pm    

Marty Forrer wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

This is a New Zealand made Lomax, I suspect probably made in the 70s or 80s. I have completely rebuilt it. I need to have the legs extended in order to get my legs under (with the volume pedal)but it puts the pedal bar up too high, uncomfortably so.

Sounds like you need to use an extender kit. That would include 2 pieces of metal tubing (electrical conduit will work) to keep the pedal bar at the very end of the leg, close to the floor. It goes between the leg clutch and the pedal bar on the legs It includes spacers that you add to your pedal rods. That makes them longer.

It sounds as though you just raised the height with the legs and kept the pedal rods the same length. That will never work.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 5:35 pm    

You can also add mini hose clamps(1/2-5/8") to hold the pedal bar where you want it.

Marty Forrer

New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 6:32 pm    

I have dropped the pedal bar already, if you read the first post you would see that. I'm just looking to see if I have it at the right height, more or less. I have enough length on the pedal rods, just.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2015 6:43 pm    

mine are two inches or so.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 3:23 am    

When you drop the pedal bar it automatically raises the pedals because of the pedal rods.
4" is WAY too high.
Buy some rod extenders or longer rods. I'm sure someone will provide a link to them.
Mine are always between 1"-2" above the floor.

Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 5:23 am    

Your only hope of working with pedals 4" above ground would be a pair of boots with heels designed by whoever makes some of Lady Gaga's high heeled shoes.

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 7:01 am     Pedals

To those who play in different places, today you are on a solid floor, tomorrow on a thick carpet ???
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 9:13 am    

You say you already dropped the pedal bar 1-3/4", it was too far up the leg. In it's proper position, there is absolutely no way you could move it ( drop it ) down the leg that much. In fact, you wouldn't be able to drop it at all. The pedal bar should be right next to the leg tips. If it's all the way down at the tips, and you still can't adjust your pedal rods to get the pedals closer to the floor, you have a problem. You need longer rods. You should be able to get the pedals close to the floor. No guitar I have ever seen or played in my 45 years, and that,s a lot, had pedals that high, or would even be able to be that high without raising the front legs and pedal bar. That just won't work.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2015 1:45 pm    

Maybe you could shoot us a pic or two friend, then we'll know for sure what you need.

Marty Forrer

New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2015 12:52 am    

Sorted. Thanks for the help. I've now got A and C about 2" off the floor, and B about 1 3/4".